Android uBlock Origin with Chrome?

Discussion in 'Android, iOS and Windows 10 Mobile' started by uninfected1, Sep 22, 2017.

1. uninfected1

uninfected1 Level 7

Jan 28, 2016
    Alpha Centauri
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    I'm currently using Adguard but like some others here I find it a bit of a battery hog and it also tends to make things pretty sluggish. I'd like to use uBlock Origin but with Chrome, and not have to install Firefox just to use it.

Is there is any way this can be done, perhaps by downloading it from an unofficial but safe source? Am I right in thinking there was a Chrome app that used to be available from F-droid?

Sunshine-boy likes this.
  2. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 10

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    uBlock Origin

frogboy and Sunshine-boy like this.
  3. legendcampos

legendcampos Level 5

Aug 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Windows 10
    Avast
    I use Yandex (chromium) with Avira Browser Safety (Adguard) + Noscript lite (prevents the window from opening alone) + Https. I think good, it supports several extensions

4. Cohen

Cohen Level 7

May 22, 2016
    Australia
    Linux
    Chrome doesn't allow extensions with Android but Firefox does. Brave for Android also blocks ads/trackers by default, but Firefox with uBlock Origin is the best choice imo.

There are Chromium updaters (dev branch) in F-Droid.

Jack and uninfected1 like this.
  5. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 10

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I didn't notice this was in the Android forum... the short answer is no...

Also do not believe what the battery setting say about Adguard draining your battery. All software being monitored and blocked by adguard will show up in the logs as being adguard using your battery.

https://kb.adguard.com/en/android/solving-problems/battery

6. uninfected1

uninfected1 Level 7

Jan 28, 2016
    Alpha Centauri
    Windows 7
    BitDefender
    I'm talking Android, hence the Android tag before the thread title and posting the thread in the Android, ios and Windows 10 Mobile section.

Sunshine-boy likes this.
  7. insanity

insanity Level 4

Oct 9, 2016
    somewhere
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    You can't install extensions on Chrome for Android, so the short answer is no. But you can try other apps besides Adguard. I'm using DNS66, it's free and causes only a small battery drain.

mlnevese, uninfected1 and frogboy like this.
  8. oneeye

oneeye Level 3

Jul 14, 2014
    building trades
    north america
    Hi,

The closest you will come to using Chrome with any adblocking is Brave browser, based on chromium. It looks and feels just like Chrome on Android, available for all platforms, with built-in blocking and controls. I think you would really like it. Available at Brave.com and playstore. It was developed by one of the founders of Mozzila's Firefox. Another great thing, is Brave let's you choose from a long list of Search engine's.

Aside from Brave, a global adblocker like Blokada works just like uBlock origin, but covers the whole device. It's free, and can be found at xda developer's website.

9. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 16

Nov 17, 2016
    Somewhere underwater or over water. I am water!
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    What about something like Firefox Focus or similar, they're only a few MBs

10. zzz00m

zzz00m Level 3

Jun 10, 2017
    USA
    Windows 10
    Avira
    uBlock Origin is available in the Chrome webstore here: Chrome Web Store

I have been using it with Chrome for a long time.
    ;)

Edit: never mind... just realized that this question was posted in a mobile forum...