Status
Not open for further replies.

JHomes

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
So last night had my nephew over, he's 10 or something. Let him play on my computer.

I come back and I see Gears Of War 4. So I'm like oh you have that at home? Cause I don't have this game.

"No I downloaded it off the internet"
"Uh, where"
*Points To Torrent Site*

Uninstall the game, tell him he's a bad kid (is that what you do).

Come back to examine the damage. AVG and Malwarebytes are singing christmas carols and none of my stuff is opening.

Luckily I was able to restore to a snapshot I had (Thanks RollBack)

Moral of the story: Kids suck.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
To start off i hate you because for sure have a really fast internet if he managed to download a 20GB file by the time you came back.
Second - kids learn fast this days. Third - kid has a good taste in games. Fourth - kid owned you. Fifth - you had a backup so you owned anything malicious. Sixth - educate the kid about torrent and danger.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
To start off i hate you because for sure have a really fast internet if he managed to download a 20GB file by the time you came back.
Second - kids learn fast this days. Third - kid has a good taste in games. Fourth - kid owned you. Fifth - you had a backup so you owned anything malicious. Sixth - educate the kid about torrent and danger.
SHvFI said it like a true champ, couldn't agree more brother.
Kids are magical, curious, and a great many other things, they for sure do not suck :confused:
He just needs a little direction and that's the Adults obligation,
go find one and have them help point him in the right direction :p

JHomes

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016

HAHA I spend the GOP of a 3rd world country on internet.
Lots of points but all fair ;)

To be fair, its your fault for not having your system fully protected. measures need to be taken. You cannot simply blame a kid.

Oh I definitely blame myself lol

HeroCloudAntivirus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
So last night had my nephew over, he's 10 or something. Let him play on my computer.

I come back and I see Gears Of War 4. So I'm like oh you have that at home? Cause I don't have this game.

"Uh, where"
*Points To Torrent Site*

Uninstall the game, tell him he's a bad kid (is that what you do).

Come back to examine the damage. AVG and Malwarebytes are singing christmas carols and none of my stuff is opening.

Luckily I was able to restore to a snapshot I had (Thanks RollBack)

Moral of the story: Kids suck.
maybe you have that "You Are An Idiot" virus... xD

You should of gave him a simple user account... and lock yours with a password so he would not be able to install anything without your permission..

Last edited by a moderator:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
But AVG still let the game install - or - did Kid manage to disable AVG ?

In my experience kids always manage to smash AVs unless you completely lock them out of any access.

Any user can smash any AV that exists. The weakest link when it comes to security is always the user. The Antivirus cannot prevent the user from intentionnally disabling it.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
But AVG still let the game install - or - did Kid manage to disable AVG ?

In my experience kids always manage to smash AVs unless you completely lock them out of any access.
any torrent game, unless packed with infections will install just fine.

His system lighted up like a xmas tree because of the source of the torrent, not the actual torrent containment.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

I'm not a good father, :( I lie to my daughter. :eek: I have taught her that if she doesn´t run first a program called "Shadow Defender" game or internet will not work. :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been doing this for a couple of weeks that a neighbor used my computer and I had to resort to the magic of Paragon B & R ;)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I'm not a good father, :( I lie to my daughter. :eek: I have taught her that if she doesn´t run first a program called "Shadow Defender" game or internet will not work. :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've been doing this for a couple of weeks that a neighbor used my computer and I had to resort to the magic of Paragon B & R ;)
Hahahahahahahaha. So let me take you to the future and give you a glimpse of it.

Sr. Normal daughter is sitting on the pc and gets a new game. She forgets her wise father lesson to first run Shadow Defender and run the game normally. Nothing bad happens but she realizes everything was a lie.
From that day she never launches Shadow Defender before installing stuff.
Sr. Normal happy that his system is safe by Shadow Defender logs in to his bank to see his account balance so he can buy more security software. The keylogger that was installed with daughter game grabs all the info. Poor Sr. Normal has no idea of the terrible thing that just happened and it's still glad Shadow Defender restores his system.
Next day Sr. Normal is crying in the corner that all the money are spend by a Russian hacker called ipawnyourmomeveryday and thinking how he should have set Shadow Defender to always run and not rely on his daughter remembering.

Back to reality buddy. Your system is meant to fail. Make SD run always or secure the system by some other way.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I got kids myself, yet they are to young to play around with a Computer. Bryan is 1 and Geovannie is 3 years old.
However when family comes around and they bring their kids then i got a GUEST account with their favo game so they can play.
But other then limiting their options, i am a fan of educating, don't just say no and start ranting if they break a rule, but take the time to actually show them step by step how to use the computer in a responsible way. Need something done? Come sit next to me and learn. Allow them to ask questions and take the time to reply to that. Invest in this and the return will be huge.
Most kids are being fed bullshit trough the internet, following hypes and going by what others say, and by doing so they usually end up being screwed and you end up being pissed off because the PC is crashed.
Just educate them, teach them basic computer habits and exercising common sense and caution. Obviously not every parent is computer smart enough and there is no shame in it. Yet in this digital age where even the most common day to day things are slowly becoming "internetnized" you cannot just sit back and say i don't know or care.
So a parent not being able to educate their kids regarding a PC should at least make a effort to try to educate them-self and try to at least verify the actions taken by your kid.
Ask urself the question how many teenagers chat on shady chat communities, or are member of some sort of group? Without their parents even knowing? You do not have to control your kid with a camera and 4 personal police officers and 300 key-loggers on the PC. But you can at least double check what they are doing and when they are doing it. And if you see something that might spark your interest? Ask your kid and then based upon what he/she says go on the net urself and have a look around.
Kids do stupid things on the NET sure... But they are doing it because they do not know, i hate to say this but as parent you cannot know it all but you certainly can make a effort. And what i am doing at home with my own kids and with family is exactly that.
Granted it does help HUGE to be knowledgeable about a computer, but IMO if a 80 years old granny can order a pizza over then net and pay for it using online banking, then you as "younger" adult cannot get away with "i do not have a clue"

Or am i seeing this wrong?
Back on topic, i did laugh very hard reading this topic...

"Uh, where"
*Points To Torrent Site*

Classic just classic...

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Hahahahahahahaha. So let me take you to the future and give you a glimpse of it.

Sr. Normal daughter is sitting on the pc and gets a new game. She forgets her wise father lesson to first run Shadow Defender and run the game normally. Nothing bad happens but she realizes everything was a lie.
From that day she never launches Shadow Defender before installing stuff.
Sr. Normal happy that his system is safe by Shadow Defender logs in to his bank to see his account balance so he can buy more security software. The keylogger that was installed with daughter game grabs all the info. Poor Sr. Normal has no idea of the terrible thing that just happened and it's still glad Shadow Defender restores his system.
Next day Sr. Normal is crying in the corner that all the money are spend by a Russian hacker called ipawnyourmomeveryday and thinking how he should have set Shadow Defender to always run and not rely on his daughter remembering.

Back to reality buddy. Your system is meant to fail. Make SD run always or secure the system by some other way.

I laugh for not to cry :D:D:D Amen brother, everything you've said has come out in my nightmares. Well that and that she has in a few years a boyfriend who also use my computer. :mad::mad:

Fortunately I have scheduled a daily incremental backup, :cool: thing of all useless to revert to my daughter in the future to a pre-boyfriend era. :confused:

She often used Xubuntu, but I've noticed (when I open my youtube page or new icons appear on the desktop) that also uses mine. She has only 6 years old, so using different accounts is complicated.

Thanks for your tips my friend :)

Insomnio%2By%2Bdepresion.jpg

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I laugh for not to cry :D:D:D Amen brother, everything you've said has come out in my nightmares. Well that and that she has in a few years a boyfriend who also use my computer. :mad::mad:

Fortunately I have scheduled a daily incremental backup, :cool: thing of all useless to revert to my daughter in the future to a pre-boyfriend era. :confused:

She often used Xubuntu, but I've noticed (when I open my youtube page or new icons appear on the desktop) that also uses mine. She has only 6 years old, so using different accounts is complicated.

Thanks for your tips my friend :)

Insomnio%2By%2Bdepresion.jpg
This is the funnier thing i ever saw in this forum. You are gold.

Kids this days know technology. I learned how to use a computer when i was 15 and basically knew basic MS word and playing Fifa. Only learned to actually use a pc when i was 20. Bet your 6 year old knows way more i knew when i was 20.
Just keep teaching her buddy and you will be surprised of how fast she will learn. This kids are smart they are not like us that didn't grow up with a pc, smart phone and internet in hand.
By the time she is 12 she will download and 3d print a boyfriend which you will have to shoot(hope you have access to multiple firearm). :p

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I almost had the same situation. Friend of mine went on my computer. (I always use a Standard User Account) and was about to install a "legit" GTA download. Avast and Zemana went nuts. He was pissed because he wasn't admin and couldn't install the game even after clear signs of it being malicious. Honestly you want that game so bad buy it. Don't trying screwing with my computer because you are not going to get really far. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.