UK govt shares 585 million passwords with Have I Been Pwned

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency has contributed more than 585 million passwords to the Have I Been Pwned service that lets users check if their login information has leaked online.

Just like with the passwords coming from the FBI, this massive collection has been added to the Pwned Passwords data that allows searching if a password has been compromised.

NCA’s password collection comes from the agency’s National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU), gathered during investigations of cybersecurity incidents.

Troy Hunt, the creator of the Have I Been Pwned (HIBP) service, announced today that after importing and parsing the data from the NCA a set of 225,665,425 passwords were found to be completely new.

Even if less than half the NCA password collection was added to the live Pwned Passwords data, it still makes for a significant contribution, Hunt says in a blog post today.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.