Solved Unable to open few popular sites

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi Fiery,

I hope you are doing well.

I need your help, I am not able to open few sites from my laptop like mail.yahoo.com (from firefox/chrome), gmail.com (from firefox) and many other popular sites.

There is no issue with my internet connection, I am able to open these from my other computer.

I have received several alerts for crashing some functions in my window vista (unfortunately do not remember name of the services stopped working)

I suspect if my laptop contains some malware or virus.

Attached: Addition and FRST log files

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Manish

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    24.8 KB · Views: 77
  • FRST.txt
    97 bytes · Views: 80

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
Attaching the new log files.

- Manish

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Addition.txt
    24.6 KB · Views: 74

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download attached fixlist.txt on the same location as FRST (otherwise the fix won't work)
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to the operating system

Open FRST, and click Fix. Attach me that report after it is finished.

***** NEXT *****

1. Please download ComboFix by sUBs from here and save it to your Desktop.
If you are unsure how ComboFix works please read this guide carefully.
Note: ComboFix must be downloaded to your Desktop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Temporarily disable your AntiVirus program, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may interfere with Combofix.
If you are unsure how to do this please read this or this Instruction.

3. Run ComboFix. Click on I Agree!

- ComboFix will display DISCLAIMER of warranty on software.
By clicking I Agree ComboFix shall continue.

- ComboFix will check if there is a newer version of ComboFix available.
Click Yes if prompted to download.
-If Recovery Console is not installed, ComboFix will offer download & installation.
Click Yes to allow ComboFix to install Recovery Console.
- ComboFix will scan your computer in stages, total of 50 stages.
Do not mouse-click around while ComboFix is running.
Note:If you see a message like "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion" just restart your computer.

4. When the tool is finished, it will produce a log report for you. (typical location: C:\ComboFix.txt )
Attach log reports ( ComboFix.txt) back to topic.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 74

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

1. Please find attached log file (Fixlog.txt) for Fix ran on FRST. Please refer 1st attachment.

2. Instead of creating C:\ComboFix.txt, an icon for MyComputer has been created with ComboFix name. When I click on this icon it opens My Drives (Similar to as I click on MyComputer). Please refer 2nd attachment.

3. While running FRST, received a window error that "Superfetch has stopped working". Please refer 3rd attachment.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1_Fixlog.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 2_ComboFixIcon.jpg
    2_ComboFixIcon.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 3_Window_error.jpg
    3_Window_error.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 98

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

I followed you instruction to run ComboFix. I first uninstalled the AVG from my computer then ran the ComboFix.

Today again, I ran ComboFix 2 times, firstly after completing Stage_50 a an error pop up came stating "grep.3xe has stopped working" and after closing that error the system itself restarted by showing Blue Screen mentioning "BAD_POOL_HEADER".
Secondly, again after completing Stage_50 the system itself restarted by showing Blue Screen mentioning "BAD_POOL_HEADER".

No C:\ComboFix.txt file generated. As mentioned above, an icon for My Computer has been created with ComboFix name. When I click on this icon it opens My Drives (Similar to as I click on My Computer).

Please suggest if I need to try running ComboFix one more time.

Thank you.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Please download Malwarebytes AntiRootkit (MBAR) and save it to your desktop.
For full instructions how MBAR works, read this article

> Doubleclick on the MBAR file
mbar.png
and allow it to run.
• Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder named mbar.
mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.
• After reading the Introduction, click Next if you agree.

• On the Update Database screen, click on the Update button. Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on Next
• Under Scan Targets ensure all boxes are ticked. Then click the Scan button.

Notice: with some infections, you may see two messages boxes:
- 'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
- 'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

>> If malware is not detected, click the Exit button to close the program and post the mbar-log-year-month-day.txt and system-log.txt reports.

>> If an infection/s are found ensure Create Restore Point are ticked. Then select the "Cleanup! button to remove threats.
• The clean up procedure will be scheduled for process, pop-up will be shown.
Select the Yes button and the system should re-boot to complete the cleaning process.

>> Notice: only if an RootKit are detected, ensure to run fixdamage.exe tool located in mbar folder, \Plugins\fixdamage.exe
- Run fixdamage.exe, at the black window to continue type Y (alias for Yes). Wait few seconds for execution ...
- When you see "press any key to exit" fix is completed, press any key to close the window. Reboot the system.

> The following reports will be created in mbar folder:
1. mbar-log-year-month-day (hour-minute-second).txt
2. system-log.txt

Please post both logs in your next reply.

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your time in looking into this and replying.

I tried running MBAR, which I clicked on Scan button then received following message "DA driver was not installed which may be caused by rootkit activity. Do you want to reboot the computer to install DDA driver(Scan will continue after reboot)?".
I clicked Yes, then received following error message "Could not install driver on boot. Scan can't continue." and scan failed with error "An error has occurred: Scan failed!"

Attached are the screenshots for your kind reference.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DDA_Driver1.jpg
    DDA_Driver1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DDA_Driver2.jpg
    DDA_Driver2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 75
  • DDA_Driver3.jpg
    DDA_Driver3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 75

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop

Execute TDSSKiller.exe by doubleclicking on it.
Confirm "End user Licence Agreement" and "KSN Statement" dialog box by clicking on Accept button.
  • Press Start Scan
  • If Suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • If Malicious objects are found, select Cure.

Once complete, a log will be produced at the root drive which is typically C:\ ,for example, C:\TDSSKiller.<version_date_time>log.txt

Please post the contents of that log in your next reply.

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

No threat found in TDSSKiller. Attached is the log for your reference.

Thank you.

Attachments

• TDSSKiller.3.0.0.39_19.06.2014_22.53.02_log.txt
    515.5 KB · Views: 55

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

Yes but much lesser than previous days. Previously the issue used to occur many times a day but it's now coming a a very few time a day.

I would like to discuss one more issue with you:

My machine restarts itself and displays a blue screen which contains any of the message from below:
MEMORY_MANAGMENT
BAD_POOL_HEADER
COM+ system has stopped working

Also, while working it doesn't restart but shows from following messages:
grep.3xe has stopped working
Superfetch has stopped working

I started getting these messages/issues since last 6 months only.

I am worried that if this is some hardware issue, some driver issue, windows issue or this is due to some malware/Virus.

It would be great if you can suggest on these as well.

Many thanks in advance.

-
Manish

manishteotia

Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Hi,

Yes, I am still.

In last 8 days, only thrice I received the issue of not able open some site. Apart from that it worked good for me now. Thanks for your help.

I am sorry if in my previous reply, I posted query for blue screen in wrong forum. Please let me know if I need to open a new thread for blue screen errors in query I posted above on 21-Jun.

Many thanks for your help and time for working on my issue.

-
Manish

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Your PC seems clean, I do not see malware. You can open your topic about hardware problem here --> http://malwaretips.com/forums/troubleshooting-hardware-questions-and-help.125/

For future protection I can recommend you:
- Adblock --> https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome
- Unchecky --> http://unchecky.com/

The following will implement some post-cleanup procedures:

=> Please download DelFix by Xplode to your Desktop.

Run the tool and check the following boxes below;
checkmark.png
Remove disinfection tools
checkmark.png
Create registry backup
checkmark.png
Purge System Restore

Click Run button and wait a few seconds for the programme completes his work.
At this point all the tools we used here should be gone. Tool will create an report for you (C:\DelFix.txt)

The tool will also record healthy state of registry and make a backup using ERUNT program in %windir%\ERUNT\DelFix
Tool deletes old system restore points and create a fresh system restore point after cleaning.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.