TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
After a testing period in my Windows 7 VM, I decided to use COMODO Firewall in my host machine. I installed COMODO and activated my config. After that, I rebooted. After startup, Windows defender security centre doesn't show his icon in the tray bar. And, if I try to open it using the search function, it will show this Windows and crash after some time. I have the cloud lookup disabled. This is my COMODO config COMODO - Maximum Security.cfgx
defender.PNG
I noticed that the containment blocked something in system32.
comodo.PNG

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
I also cant enable WD in my W8.1 machine. Its disabled due to CF. If i uninstall CF then WD will be enabled automatically. But how people have WD and CF enabled? I dont even know but i wanna learn why. Is it possible on W10 to have both enabled?

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
It also happen to me which make me ditch it. Did you try to disable Windows Defender Notification? It work for me for one time, reboot and then security center crash again. Maybe you can open windows defender GUI from C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe and see if defender still running
The forum in question --- Comodo Firewall 10 Disables Windows Defender Security Center Service
I tried to open the Security Center by seraching it in Windows. But it won't open, only show the blue Windows i attached above. I reported the issue to their Facebook page

Reactions: AnonMan

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I had this problem as well and made a post about it on their forums.

Didn't get me anywhere, no one from the mods or even comodo themselves ever looked into the problem.

Therefor I'm adding this one up to a "On the list" sitaution hopefully.

A.K.A "on the list" for them means it will be fixed in 2-3 versions:D

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Yes i had this problem too and i change WD with Avast free (very light combo with CF, sure better than defender).

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I just tried opening WDSC, and it's working fine here. What version of Comodo FW you are using?
Open the main CFW window, change to advanced view and see what's blocked? Try unblocking which seems related to Windows.
I think you have either removed/modified TVL and turned off cloud lookup.
Edit: You have cloud disabled.
Edit: It's a good idea to run a scan in CFW after installing. It will take about 5 min and in the end it will list all the unknown files, which can be easily add to the trusted list.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Edit: It's a good idea to run a scan in CFW after installing. It will take about 5 min and in the end it will list all the unknown files, which can be easily add to the trusted list.

@TheMalwareMaster Have you tried this? Just wondering because if it works for you It may work for me.

I don't want to take the time to uninstall AVG and test myself if it wont work lol

Reactions: brambedkar59

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
@TheMalwareMaster Have you tried this? Just wondering because if it works for you It may work for me.

I don't want to take the time to uninstall AVG and test myself if it wont work lol
I ran a rating scan and Windows Deefender Security Center didn't appear. I checked advanced view and I unlocked that safe file in system32, but nothing changed.
The Facebook support page told me the issue has been reported to their team

Reactions: Antimalware18
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Some of you guys want so desperately to make Comodo work, auto-containment is indeed unique and powerfull, but is it worth so much effort knowing there are still unresolved bugs and they are still adding features without making existing ones work? Don't get me wrong, I like Comodo Firewall, but how many projects they have abandoned by now? I sometimes look through some of unanswered questions for Comodo products and wonder where people have the patience. :confused:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Some of you guys want so desperately to make Comodo work, auto-containment is indeed unique and powerfull, but is it worth so much effort knowing there are still unresolved bugs and they are still adding features without making existing ones work? Don't get me wrong, I like Comodo Firewall, but how many projects they have abandoned by now? I sometimes look through some of unanswered questions for Comodo products and wonder where people have the patience. :confused:

i agree with every sentence in your post.

have only used comodo's browsers & am sure comodo security products are equally good too, nevertheless here is my take on the subject.

a couple years back on MalwareTips, eset had a huge following almost like a cult of sorts but all that hype is dead now.

comodo is the new eset on MalwareTips & all that CF hype is like a bubble which will die eventually, just a matter of time.

l0rdraiden

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Comodo autosandboxing is a lie promoted by youtubers doing unrealistic tests

If you can live with all the annoyances of auto sandboxing:
1) a good apps opens inside the sandbox
1a) Sometimes if it's a complex app it may block your computer so you have to do a hard reset.
1b) sometimes the apps opens ok and you can see the interface sometimes it doesn't.
2) the app is unusable because is restricted, so most times you can't use it properly, or save changes, etc.
3) you close the app
4) you manually add the app to the trusted apps
5) you open the app again.

If not, as most people around who find the auto-sanboxing useless, use anything else. If you want to open an app you think is safe you are going to run it it trusted yes or yes so it doesn't matter if the app is sandboxed or not, it's totally a placebo. If you are going to run an app you don't trust for whatever reason you can do many things to be sure and on of them is run it ON DEMAND in any sandbox.

Of course in the test it looks wonderful, you are running apps in a restricted sandbox, but this is nothing new you can do it as well with sandboxie, or with many other av's that includes sandboxing functionality, and you can use it on demand for files you don't trust.
Autosandbox concept is broken because the whitelist will never be big enough to not to be a pain for the user experience, but it provides a very good marketing plot

The best they can do with CIS is include the cloud AV on it, and leave it as light AV (second opinion in real time).
In the past the HIPS was the best thing in the world and default deny, bla bla bla, now the HIPS is disable by default and the sandbox act as a default deny, but the usability with the sandbox in my opinion is worse than with the HIPS, with the HIPS you just needed to answer 1 popup, with the sandbox you go over a 5 step process.
In the future the sandbox will be disable by default, and it will be used on demand... you will see.

The autosandboxing concept will never save you from malware, you will.

Reactions: Prayag

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Comodo autosandboxing is a lie promoted by youtubers doing unrealistic tests

1a) Sometimes if it's a complex app it may block your computer so you have to do a hard reset.
1b) sometimes the apps opens ok and you can see the interface sometimes it doesn't.
2) the app is unusable because is restricted, so most times you can't use it properly, or save changes, etc.
3) you close the app
That's why I made a particular COMODO also for beginners, in which the sandbox is replaced by the action "block" and quarantine

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Anti-exe for beginners? xD
It works really well, apart from that office thing. COMODO said "the office problem is due to Microsoft, that released files where root certificate was not in root certificate list and thus COMODO considered those not signed".
It's usable, you are still able to install safe apps thanks to the trusted vendors list

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
omodo autosandboxing is a lie promoted by youtubers doing unrealistic tests

3) you close the app

Personally, I prefer a real behavior blocker. Like the one in Emsisoft or the now dead threatfire.

But as there is no standalone BB anymore or a standalone free one I must work with what I can get. And the closest sensitive enough
option is Comodo's sandbox.

I'm not a fan of all the bugs either and all the left-to-die projects either.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.