Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Softpedia said:
Google has recently sold the first batch of Google Glass eyewear, and some may have been hoping to resell it via eBay for a lot more cash.

One attempt to resell the $1,500 / 1,158 – 1,500 EUR device had the gadget for £60,000 / $91,566 / 70,261 Euro pounds on the site. The posting was taken down after onlookers raged.

Now, to make sure people don't try to ever so opportunistically make money off its efforts, Google is threatening to remotely deactivate the things.

In the terms of service section, it clearly says that buyers may not transfer ownership.

“You may not resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person. If you resell, loan, transfer, or give your device to any other person without Google's authorization, Google reserves the right to deactivate the device, and neither you nor the unauthorized person using the device will be entitled to any refund, product support, or product warranty."

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Under-No-Circumstances-May-You-Sell-or-Loan-Your-Google-Glass-346606.shtml

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

that is against commercial logic, you buy , you own, so you can resell.

if they don't want their buyers to resell it, so they should rent instead of selling...

Z

ZeroDay

Once you own something you should be able to do whatever you like with it.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Umbra Polaris said:
that is against commercial logic, you buy , you own, so you can resell.

if they don't want their buyers to resell it, so they should rent instead of selling...

That's a good point, however as far as I've know, Google at this point does not sell Google Glass into regular stores. Most likely the current owners of Google Glass have been selected from a larger list, and had to sign this contract (apart from paying $1500) with Google.

At this point Google Glass is in a BETA stage, so I understand why Google does monitor the owners, and does not support any kind of monetary exchange.
I do think that Google is at this point more interested in the users feedback, than those $1.500.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What if it gets stolen?

I don't see the future of Google Glasses and what about:

1. People who already wear glass (new nickname, 5-eyes).
2. Designer glasses, are the compatible, is there an add-on?

And 3. Does that mean Google can now watch, track and be in your home at all time?

Personally, I do not like the idea and don't think it'll lift off (nor is it convenient IMO).

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I don't think this could possibly hold up in court.

If I've paid over a thousand dollars for a piece of hardware, I own it. You can't possibly tell me that I've just "licensed" it... Sure, maybe the software it's running could be under license, but even so, with such a substantial investment, transfer of license should be expected.

Earth said:
And 3. Does that mean Google can now watch, track and be in your home at all time?

Yes, I believe it does. I'm sure there will be some sort of privacy settings, but they most likely will not be obvious, and many users will not be aware of the privacy invasion implications of wearing these things.

Not to mention the privacy invasion of someone not wearing things... Ummm... Hey man, do you mind not looking at me? :rolleyes:

Earth said:
Personally, I do not like the idea and don't think it'll lift off (nor is it convenient IMO).

I think it's a horrible idea. Smartphones are bad enough, but with these things, it will be all to convenient to be incredibly distracted while driving. Because you know that people are going to be browsing the internet while driving with these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.