Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro / Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome / Firefox
Nano Adblocker / Nano Defender / uMatrix
Maintenance tools
Ultradefrag / Wise Disk Cleaner / Wise Driver Care / Hard Disk Sentinel / Core Temp / f.lux / Tixati / Windscribe VPN / Proton VPN
File and Photo backup
External HDD
System recovery
Macrium Reflect 7 Free

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Vista. Acer Aspire 6930G 2008 vintage. Wanted to give it a go but read horror stories from other owners who had tried so thought better of it . Plus Acer advised against it.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Vista. Acer Aspire 6930G 2008 vintage. Wanted to give it a go but read horror stories from other owners who had tried so thought better of it . Plus Acer advised against it.
OK, Acer. Probably smart staying with 7. Mine is a 2010 Lenovo Z560, but I did need to add 4GB memory.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
KCAV + OSA should be enough, is voodooshield necessary since you mentioned old win7? Everything else looks smooth
I think we might have spoken about VS on another thread and I seem to recall you found it quite resource heavy and a bit too talkative. In fact I've actually only just reinstated VS after removing it for those reasons. I haven't really decided whether the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I've been advising others that KSC + OSA is fine so maybe I'll revert to that.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I think we might have spoken about VS on another thread and I seem to recall you found it quite resource heavy and a bit too talkative. In fact I've actually only just reinstated VS after removing it for those reasons. I haven't really decided whether the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I've been advising others that KSC + OSA is fine so maybe I'll revert to that.
hmm depends, its up to you. After bit of thinking i think im gonna try myself WD+SH+VDO, wich is bit heavier than your current

VDS will save you incase you download something fakeware, i have to retake my words back

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I think that Kaspersky Free & OSA would do more than enough job or just VDS on it's own. All 3 can seem a bit too heavy.

Also something important to note is to make sure that your UAC is set to always notify.

As long as your browsing habits are fine you should be good on a Win 7 OS. Just don't download anything daft or pirate download. You should be fine. Also don't go looking or downloading anything you wasn't originally looking for.

~LDogg

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
hmm depends, its up to you. After bit of thinking i think im gonna try myself WD+SH+VDO, wich is bit heavier than your current

VDS will save you incase you download something fakeware, i have to retake my words back

I don't know how long you've tried this setup. Unless you have performance issues I would give it time to see how it actually performs. I do not see any issues with VS myself. I use it with Hard_Configurator and WD. Or, as @LDogg suggests, you could simply use VS - or VS + SH/H_C.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Only installed KSC and OSA last week after my Eset license ran out and I really haven't noticed any problems resourcewise with Voodooshield since I reinstalled it. That'll be my setup for a while.

EDIT
: UAC changed to Always Notify.

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Removed Adguard. Added Nano Adblocker, Nano Defender and Neustar DNS.

ps - I find the RISK: Moderate rating because I am using W7 rather puzzling. It has always rated SAFE for me until now and it is being supported until Jan 2020 so I don't understand the sudden change. I would say the risk is very slight at most. There was some blatant scaremongering from Microsoft earlier in the year about W7 but it was a very obvious attempt by them to get more people to take up W10.

Anyway, makes no difference to me. I'll be sticking with W7 until January 2020 as long as this computer holds on till then.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.