App Review UnThreat Antivirus Free 2013 Test(MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Like the F-Secure video Unthreat did fairly well in the links portion of the test. Although it failed detection. If I were running the test I would fail Unthreat in the Zero-Day malware detection portion (when you run the malware). Yet again good test.

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
@ MalwareDoctor nice work thank you, If I could give you 5 Kudos I would
Unthreat is a nice program but its not got great detection or prevention.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Like the F-Secure video Unthreat did fairly well in the links portion of the test. Although it failed detection. If I were running the test I would fail Unthreat in the Zero-Day malware detection portion (when you run the malware). Yet again good test.

It seems like most of these products tend to do unusually well in the zero day portion of my test(maybe it's time I locate a new source of links :p). Any person watching the test would see how bad it performed in the second portion of the review, so hopefully most of the viewers could interpret the results for themselves if I didn't exactly spell it out.

Thanks for the suggestion and have a good day/evening :D

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
LawnTractor said:
Needs installing w/good firewall w/HIPS. Good review, Doctor.

Thanks. But with this product, installing a better pure av(meaning signature-based detection only) and add all that other good stuff with it would probably would offer the best security. :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
MalwareDoctor said:
Malware Maniac said:

It seems like most of these products tend to do unusually well in the zero day portion of my test(maybe it's time I locate a new source of links :p). Any person watching the test would see how bad it performed in the second portion of the review, so hopefully most of the viewers could interpret the results for themselves if I didn't exactly spell it out.

Thanks for the suggestion and have a good day/evening :D

Thanks for the test/review.I have never heard of this software and dont think I will be trying it

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
UnThreat AV had some relation with spammy ppl or something like that. I would not recommend this product. Anyway it is using Vipres Engines so how come such a pathetic display? Are they using an older version.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
No, UnThreat (an already new and small company) were bought out by the spammy people. There is a difference. :p

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
@WhiteNobster: Thanks and that would be wise except maybe in a vm for testing. ;)
@Tobi: From what I heard a long time ago UnThreat was an abandoned project(still in 2012 version). But now since they released a new version, it is not hard to believe they were bought out by another company. I am curious though have you received spam or see an example online from them spamming, because I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary on their website.
@malbky: If Unthreat does use Vipre's engine, that explains why the results are very similar. Both products did great in the web portion of my test, but failed in the zero day(the only main difference is UnThreat allowed a rogue av to execute).

sarahmsarah

Nov 12, 2012
Hey Doctor!
thanks for the review, I've actually been using the 2012 version and have been quite happy with it.. have you tried the new version yet?
what would recommend pairing with unthreat to get the best protection?

D Bone

May 28, 2011
You could use EXE Radar Free which is an anti-executable:

http://www.novirusthanks.org/product/exe-radar-pro/

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
sarahmsarah said:
Hey Doctor!
thanks for the review, I've actually been using the 2012 version and have been quite happy with it.. have you tried the new version yet?
what would recommend pairing with unthreat to get the best protection?

I feel that is a catch-22. You will not get the best protection with UnThreat as the main av. Personally at this time I would stick with CIS(not the beta version). I have not released(nor do I plan to release at this time)a review on the current version. However another tester here on the forums by the name of Biozfear has released several good Comodo test videos, you should check them out if you want to get a feel for the product.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.