Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Update on PSN Service Outages

Message 77

Currently we are still investigating the issues with the PlayStation outage guys, this is the latest information posted on the Blog:

'As you are no doubt aware, the current emergency outage is continuing this afternoon and all Sony Online Network services remain unavailable. Our support teams are investigating the cause of the problem, including the possibility of targeted behaviour by an outside party. If the reported Network problems are indeed caused by such acts, we would like to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service.'

Additional information:

'Our engineers are continuing to work to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support.'

I will update you guys as more info comes in.

Rabid

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Probably caused anonymous are been always in the news between with Playstation issues but who knows about service outages occur.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Message 129

Update from the EU Blog:

'While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can'.

Rabid

I got disconnected last night, so in the mean time I was playing the Blacks Ops campaign which I had no idea what I was doing. I only bought that game for Zombies. If PSN is out for two days, then I might be able to complete other games too. :p

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

Hey, you could join me on Battlefield Play4Free. I.e. us cheap gamers.

You should see all the jeeps crashing and helicopters diving into the water and tanks getting stuck. :D It's a riot.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011

I doubt anon is behind this, it would go against their principles. They have also said they wouldn't attack gamers.

If PSN is out for two days, then I might be able to complete other games too.
Yes better stock up, the black ops campaign only takes half a minute :D

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

iPanik said:
I doubt anon is behind this, it would go against their principles. They have also said they wouldn't attack gamers.

If PSN is out for two days, then I might be able to complete other games too.
Yes better stock up, the black ops campaign only takes half a minute :D

They have been DDoSing Sony servers, and that has affected the PSN.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011

They made a statement that they would only concentrate on servers that wouldn't affect the PSN.
Didn't they give up on sony? i read a transcript from an IRC channel that their ddos power wasn't nearly enough to bring them down. The geohot case is over anyway.

besides, it would take a lot more then simple traffic overload to bring the service down for two days. But what do i know. That's the great thing about the internet, people who don't know anything, acting like they know everything :D (that was primarily targeted at myself ;) )

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011

iPanik said:
They made a statement that they would only concentrate on servers that wouldn't affect the PSN.
Didn't they give up on sony? i read a transcript from an IRC channel that their ddos power wasn't nearly enough to bring them down. The geohot case is over anyway.

besides, it would take a lot more then simple traffic overload to bring the service down for two days. But what do i know. That's the great thing about the internet, people who don't know anything, acting like they know everything :D (that was primarily targeted at myself ;) )

Well, I've been reading news articles that have mentioned how Anonymous's DDoSing have made the network unstable. Thousands of computers could probably do that.

But that was in the past, so they may have stopped.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Update on PlayStation Network/Qriocity Services
An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Well I think they must do it to avoid another such a DDOS/hack. So if someone tries to hack they will failed it.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

It was a malicious attack and personal data has been compromised.

Sony provides PSN update, confirms a 'compromise of personal information' (updated)

Update 2: Sony UK is shedding more light on just what data has been exposed, and frankly we were happier when it was dark. By the sound of things, everything Sony had about you has been accessed. There's a full list after the break, so only click on through if you dare.

Here's what Sony UK indicates was exposed:
  • [*]Name
    [*]Shipping address
    [*]Billing address
    [*]Country
    [*]E-mail address
    [*]Birthdate
    [*]PSN/Qriocity ID
    [*]PSN/Qriocity password
    [*]PSN/Qriocity security question and answer
    [*]Purchase history

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
RE: Update on PSN/Qriosity [Compromised]

What? From the past days sites are attacked by exposed with information then PSN was included for having a compromised.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

FAQ on PSN Outage

Q.1 When did you realise the system had been intruded?

We discovered between April 17 and April 19 there was an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network.

Q.4 What action did you take (are you taking)? Is there any possibility of further unauthorized access?

As soon as we learned of this issue, 1) we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services in order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services, 2) we have also engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened, and 3) quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

They have an Help and Support FAQ (see below), which says the attack happened between 17-19 April. Since then PSN has been offline, while they investigate.

What's that, some 70M users personal data (possibly) stolen, better safe than sorry. :(

I've already cancelled my credit card.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

From the FAQ

Q.6 Does that mean all users’ information was compromised? Tell us more in details of what personal information leaked.

In terms of possibility, yes. We believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained, including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, it is possible that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

That's bad that all information was exposed even the most sensitive information.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011

I am shocked to see that Sony, this multi-million $ company ended up having this happen to them. Surely there are its reasons just one things for sure I am glad.. I purchased a 360.
But 70M credit card details and all that personal information is a wake up call not just for Sony but for similar company's that stand around them.
I would like to hear what Sony will be putting in place after this incident to prevent this from happening again.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

:shok: this must be the news of the year!!Whatever those hacker did must be serious if Sony keept the service down for so long.

70M users personal informantions were revealed :

Name
Shipping address
Billing address
Country
E-mail address
Birthdate
PSN/Qriocity ID
PSN/Qriocity password
PSN/Qriocity security question and answer
Purchase history.

This is BAD , BAD , BAD!

As a side news , a Facebook account associated with Anonymous is posting messages suggesting its involvement in this hack :

Take a break from online gaming for a while.....it will help your skills, your health, and your emotional levels, which by the way are a bit out of order if they are being shackled by the PSN being down. We have no qualms about our actions, even though it may affect fellow anonymous or supporters... we hope they understand the bigger picture. - link

Anonymous Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anonymous/128798377161188

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.