- sometimes takes priority over some streaming sites functions
BOTTOM LINE
The best download manager , and i tried many of them but always get back to it
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Internet Download Manager

Homepage

Internet Download Manager (aka IDM) is what we call an "Download accelerator"; it uses intelligent dynamic file segmentation and safe multipart downloading technology to accelerate your downloads. It means it segment the file you wish to download into smaller part, downloaded separately to achieve greater speed.

Code:
Dynamic file segmentation and connection reuse
Internet Download Manager has optimized file download logic. IDM divides downloaded file on file segments dynamically, unlike other download accelerators that divide downloaded file in segments once just before download process starts. Dynamic segmentation gives significant download performance improvement. When file download starts, it's unclear how many connections may be opened. When new connection becomes available IDM finds the largest segment to download and divide it in half. Thus new connection starts downloading file from the half of the largest file segment. IDM minimizes the time needed for negotiations with servers and keeps all connections busy.

The goal of this kind of software is to give you more control over your downloads and a boost in your download speed.

The Installation of IDM is classic and it will add a plugin into the main browsers available on your system (with an option to include less known ones manually)

Now that you understand how it works, let's go for a tour:

1- Main Program Window

When you open IDM you arrive into the main window, where all options/features are listed.

- Download control buttons: (Add URL, Start/Resume, Stop, Stop All, Delete, Delete All Completed, Options, Scheduler, Start Queue, Stop Queue, Stop Queue, Grabber, Tell A Friend) are located above the download list under the form of a ribbon. They can be in active (colorful) or disabled (greyed) state depending on what actions are possible for the current selected downloads.

- Categories: In the left side of the main part of the window is a tree of download categories. IDM offers the categories feature to organize and manage your files. Every download category has a name, a default download directory and a list of associated file types. IDM has several predefined categories like Music, Video, Programs, Documents, etc. You may delete, edit them, or add your own categories.

- Download List: located in the middle of the windows, here are listed all the downloads you have started, paused or completed. It also indicates the percentage and ETA of the downloaded files.

2- Download Modes

IDM has multiple download mode giving you a great freedom of use; the main methods are:

- Automatic Mode: This method to start downloads is the easiest one. IDM takes over downloads from various browsers and starts downloading files automatically when users click on download links.

• When a link is clicked this window appears:

9xJ8ul.jpg

note that your download can be delayed.

• When IDM detects a Web Player and receive a multimedia request, this small windows appears

2cTi2.jpg

if clicked, the Download window appears (as above), if you have many requesting pages, all videos will be showed as a list.

the latest version of IDM allows capture from HTPPS sites and from sites that have separated of audios and videos streams.
  • If the download is started , then this windows is activated

Dp0Bml.jpg

as you can see, the "resume capability" shows "Yes", it means that if for some reasons i have to stop the current download (internet disconnection, reboot, etc...) i will not loose the already downloaded part and i will bnot have to re-download from the beginning. This is a very useful feature especially if you download heavy files.

you can set the speed limit here:

6KBMil.jpg

and what IDM will do upon completion:

pcBqHl.jpg

• When the download is completed , this windows appears and inform you where the file is located and if you click "open" the file/program is executed directly. IDM also warn you if you lack the proper codecs to run the media.

jppGql.jpg

- Download a specific link or all links in the selected text from an html page : If you right click on a link in your browser, you will see "Download with IDM" menu item. Just click this item to start downloading the link with IDM. You may also select a text and click "Download with IDM" to add all links in the selected text to IDM.

- Add URL Button: You can add a new file to download with Add URL button (see Main Program Window chapter). You can either enter a new URL in the text box or select URL from existing ones. You can also specify login informations if the server demands authorization (by checking "Use authorization" box. )

Ge6Hpl.jpg

3- Options Dialog

IDM has a wide range of options, here they are some of the most useful:

- General options:

p2ro7l.jpg

The interesting feature here is "add browser" , if your browser is not listed in the windows above, you can manually add it by selecting the executable (i.e: Dragon.exe for Comodo Dragon, etc...)

Code:
IDM supports basic and advanced browser integration types. For basic browser integration you can check what type of integration is used for a browser by selecting the browser and clicking on details button. In basic browser integration you can add a browser by using "Add Browser..." button. IDM determines the version of the browser and will integrate into it.

IDM has a special module (IEMonitor.exe) for click monitoring in IE-based browsers (MSN Explorer, Avant, MyIE, some versions of AOL etc.) that runs separately from the main process of IDM. This module can be turned on/off using "Run module for click monitoring for IE-based browsers" checkbox.

- File Types tab: File Types tab can be used to change the list of file types that will be taken over from a browser and downloaded by IDM.

zLhaJl.jpg

- Connection tab: Here you can set up IDM to fit the kind of connections you have for optimal performances.

SHital.jpg

- Save To tab: This is here where you can define the default final download location for the selected category (Music, Videos, etc...) and the temporary one.

QwfQFl.jpg

-Downloads tab: Here you can control how IDM dialogs are displayed.

rnvXQl.jpg

Other noticeable Features:

• Ability to stop and save live stream broadcasts.
  • The maximum number of connections supported is up to 32 simultaneous connections per download.
  • Recognition and downloading of TS videos.
  • Aability to search downloads in IDM list and select a group of files in main IDM list and change their storage folder.
  • Ability to wake up from sleep to download scheduled files in queue.
  • Ability to change video resolution for rtmp protocol.

Final Note:

Now you have a good idea of What is IDM and its usefulness, it is simple to use and efficient. iI have to admit that when you start using IDM, it is very difficult to renounce to it.
i really like its speed, ease of use and ability to download contents from streaming video sites.
IDM is useful for people that download a lot of software/files, for the others it is not very necessary since it is a paid product.

note: today i got a licensing issue , it was resolved in few hours, the support team was quick to reply and fix it. Very good point when you know some companies take days...

I rate it 4/5 (based of my sole opinion and testing, this rate can be raised/lowered if new Pros/Cons are found)

Last edited by a moderator:

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Excellent review Umbra.

I always have Internet download Manger on my pc and it never failed me.Excellent speed and feature of idm makes it leader of downloading software

Thanks

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I love this program but everytime I install it my computer starts acting weird and my mouse hangs alot

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I was expecting this review. :p Very nice detailed review. Never used it as I have a different method that I use. ;)

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
Any chances of a contest to giveaway a few copies to some loyal forum members please? :p

Then we too can see what lies under the hood and take for a spin to see what the fuss is
all about with what seems to be one mighty fine program, you are right Umbra Corp.
the paid is a big CON.

I realise that a contest does not guarantee anybody a serial key..but you have to be in it
to win it! :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Before i used Orbit Downloader; free , efficient and almost the same features but when firefox 7 appears, the developement was so slow to adapt to the FF updates schemes that i moved to IDM.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
I don't find it is bad (or it have a con) cause it's a paid software,just my opinion

And...I jelly of your internet :p

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
if they had a free version, i am sure they will gain lot of users and maybe future customers.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
if they had a free version, i am sure they will gain lot of users and maybe future customers.

I think it is a "con" to not have a free version available.a 30 day trial is really not very long and I am pretty sure based on Umbra's review that they would gain more paying customers if they did have a free version

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
exterminator20 said:
Umbra Corp. said:

I think it is a "con" to not have a free version available.a 30 day trial is really not very long and I am pretty sure based on Umbra's review that they would gain more paying customers if they did have a free version

Maybe. Okay then

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I've been using IDM for a while now, and have recently trialling Shadow Defender. One thing I noticed is when I downloaded a huge file from Youtube, lets say a 3GB mp4... prior to SD being installed, the rebuild time was quick as a flash. Post SD-install, it trickles and trickles and trickles. I thought this might have to do with not excluding some IDM directories in SD, in particular "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\IDM" and the official download destination.

Would you by any chance be able to confirm if the above two directories are the only ones required to exclude?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Dont exclude , you open holes in your security. When IDM finishes its download just commit the file

Reactions: marzametal
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I've been using IDM for a while now, and have recently trialling Shadow Defender. One thing I noticed is when I downloaded a huge file from Youtube, lets say a 3GB mp4... prior to SD being installed, the rebuild time was quick as a flash. Post SD-install, it trickles and trickles and trickles. I thought this might have to do with not excluding some IDM directories in SD, in particular "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\IDM" and the official download destination.

Would you by any chance be able to confirm if the above two directories are the only ones required to exclude?
Have you noticed the difference in file size for videos by download managers, video downloaders etc...

i.e for example check & compare 1080p/720p, etc... Youtube video file size by different download managers, video downloaders, etc... They give different file size, why?

I checked & compared...............IDM, Eagleget, 4k VideoDownloader & Clip Converter. All give different file size for the same video file i.e 1080p/720p, etc... for quite a few videos I checked.
4k VideoDownloader & Clip Converter were fine i.e they showed the same file sizes.

Any info why the difference in sizes for the same file?

Reactions: Koroke San

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I recently noticed that Youtube removed 480 and 1080 from the available download quality list. I looked everywhere, all I see is 240, 360 and 720 in the drop down list in both "1-Click Youtube Video Downloader" and in IDM. I did find a Youtube Firefox addon that claims to provide 1080, but I don't think it works on Firefox 30.

I compared 4 video files for download in both FF and IE with just the addon I mentioned and IDM, and the file sizes matched up. In reading up on this stuff, I noticed that it depends on the addons design. Not all addons prepare the file in question the same way. For example, with 1080, the audio and video are sourced from two seperate streams, and then blended into one output file (Youtube set it up this way, not the addon), while 720 and below is direct output (no mucking around needed).

The one thing that pissed me right off is when I tried to get Iron Maiden's Rock Am Ring 2014 performance. IDM defaults to 360, the Youtube addon I use won't even recognise filesizes, BUT the quality setting in the Youtube feed goes right up to 720! Like, wth...

Reactions: Koroke San
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
if you search for Transformer 4 trailer , you will have a 1440 video

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
Good review but have a question to ask, IDM doesn't download any thing from Google Chrome browser though Chrome has an extension of IDM? Any idea or suggestion?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
last time i tried chrome with it , it works properly, maybe you have to uninstall/reinstall Chrome

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.