Advice Request Updates Make Windows 7 and 8 Spy On You Like Windows 10

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Windows 10 has been launched and already installed on more than 50 million computers worldwide. It is now a known fact that Windows 10 user data is being sent back to Microsoft servers back in Redmond, Washington. Well, now new updates that are being deployed to all Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 machines will turn their computers into a big piece of spyware, just like their predecessor, Windows 10.

The updates in question are KB3075249 and KB3080149. if installed, these updates are known to report your data back to Microsoft servers, without user interaction. KB3075249 Microsoft Update adds telemetry points to ‘consent.exe’ in Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, allowing for remote monitoring of everything that happens within the operating system. KB3080149 ensures that all “down-level devices” receive the same updates and treatment as Windows 10 boxes get.

As you would guess, forums are lit up with speculation on these updates and more. Below you can find a list of other Windows updates that some users have questioned. Please keep in mind, avoiding some or all of these updates may cause your environment to be unstable and/or unsecure.

Code:
KB2505438
KB2670838 – Windows 7 Only (corrupts AERO and blurry fonts on some websites)
KB2952664
KB2976978 – Windows 8 only
KB3021917
KB3035583
KB3075249
KB3035583 – this gives you the windows 10 invite
KB2952664 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10 (sends a bunch of telemetry data to M$, reported to corrupt system files)
KB2976978 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB2977759 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10, installs telemetry
KB2990214 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3021917 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3022345 – installs diagnostic tracking service, reported to corrupt system files
KB3035583 – pitches the free Windows 10 upgrade
KB3044374 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3050265 – supposedly fixes an issue with windows update, but also changes system files to support upgrade to Windows 10
KB3050267 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3068708 – installs telemetry service, prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB2922324 – (reportedly pulled, uninstall it anyway if already installed)
KB3014460 – affects windows 8 only
KB3015249 – adds more damn telemetry
KB3065987 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client
KB3075249 – adds yet more telemetry
KB3075851 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client 
KB3080149 – adds yet more telemetry
Source

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
It's outrageous that this happens when I finally get settled with Windows 7.

I've never understood the reason as to why companies proceed with something that they know nobody would ever want — knowing that some people are installing them without reading what the updates contain.

Microsoft isn't particular clear on what some of the updates actually contain, they expect people to "go with it" on some of them.

Unfortunately these days, there are lots of things that I can disagree with.

Last edited:

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
If you use a computer and connect to the internet then privacy is already out the window, there is only so much you can do. I am getting tired of everyone complaining about Windows 10 privacy, if you use Google, Facebook or any of the other social media sites or if you shop or just simply surf the web your privacy is already compromised, as long as Microsoft doesn't steal passwords and buy stuff then I am ok if terrorism gets stopped or a school shooting is avoided, but that's just me, my advice to all is either don't use the internet or accept the reality of life today and stop all the complaining, if you really want to make a difference then complain to the politicians who make the laws. Be careful what you share and what you store on your pc and in the cloud it's about all you can really do, peace.:)

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
.........and this happens as soon as I settle with Windows 7.

Microsoft isn't very clear on what some updates contain, they expect people to just "go with it" on some of them.

I've never understood the reason as to why companies proceed with something that they know nobody would ever want — knowing that some people are installing them without reading what the updates contain.

Unfortunately these days, there are lots of things that I can disagree with.
I dont like to updating my system anyway and yes most of the users has automatic updates turned on.

If you use a computer and connect to the internet then privacy is already out the window, there is only so much you can do. I am getting tired of everyone complaining about Windows 10 privacy, if you use Google, Facebook or any of the other social media sites or if you shop or just simply surf the web your privacy is already compromised, as long as Microsoft doesn't steal passwords and buy stuff then I am ok if terrorism gets stopped or a school shooting is avoided, but that's just me, my advice to all is either don't use the internet or accept the reality of life today and stop all the complaining, if you really want to make a difference then complain to the politicians who make the laws. Be careful what you share and what you store on your pc and in the cloud it's about all you can really do, peace.:)
For me I have no problem with this coz you and me don't do things BAD (I'm not talking about cracking adobe or Windows) Others have there resumes.
At the end of the day I think it is a very good idea that someone will monitor the internet and not leave it open it may save lives.

Reactions: juhful

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
At the end of the day I think it is a very good idea that someone will monitor the internet and not leave it open it may save lives.

But it's completely pointless if they don't interact over the internet. It's only going to force them into using different types of communication.

If they're tracking us for that reason — we're just going to assume everyone is a criminal.

Reactions: done

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
But it's completely pointless if they don't interact over the internet. It's only going to force itself into a different type of communication.
That's true and if it makes it the slightest bit more difficult for them, I for one am all for it.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can run but you can't hide! So might as well just enjoy yourself.When I lay my head down at night I can rest assured that Microsoft will find my daily online activities uneventful.Trust me when I say that the average Joe is not the target of any sort of spying unless of course you are trolling the darkside then you might find yourself in a pickle.How do I know this well I am not going to say but I will say I heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
These are the Spy updates that I found and removed and blocked on my Windows 7 64 :cool:. The list also contain windows 10 upgrade update for those who want to postpone windows 10 upgrade.

KB 3035583

KB 2952664

KB 3068708

KB 3075249

Last edited:

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
By doing this MS has made sure that everybody will update to Win10. Many users didn't update because of privacy issues, but now 7,8 and 10 everything has become the same.

ScaleCraft

Jan 22, 2015
By doing this MS has made sure that everybody will update to Win10. Many users didn't update because of privacy issues, but now 7,8 and 10 everything has become the same.
Ah. So. Not everybody.
With any and all updates turned off in my version of Windoze since 2006, there is no way I am going to 10.
All the ex-spurts say privacy is dead and get over it....you have to draw a line and make a stand somewhere, and that is what I am doing.
I am not joining the lemmings and marching over the cliff.

Just because "everybody" says it's right, doesn't mean you have to follow along.

Think.

Dave

Reactions: Kuttz

vishwa

Level 1
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
Never heard that story of windows 7. Thanks for sharing it with us. let me check that it has been install on my PC as I have set updates install automatically on my PC.

Reactions: frogboy

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
The vast majority, 99.9%, like myself update without looking. Even after this invasion of privacy comes out, 99% will still have no clue.

Somebody mentioned Chrome...You can use another browser easily.

This is the OS though, which is needed to utilize many programs, you have no choice. This is terrible of Microsoft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuttz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.