Upgrade from Avast Free to Bitdefender IS 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
So, I won a key for Bitdefender IS 2013 and I was wondering if I should switch from Avast! Free version. I never get viruses (not that I am aware of any, anyway) so would this be a good move or would it be pointless?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
RE: pgrade from Avast Free to Bitdefender IS 2013?

BSOD said:
So, I won a key for Bitdefender IS 2013 and I was wondering if I should switch from Avast! Free version. I never get viruses (not that I am aware of any, anyway) so would this be a good move or would it be pointless?

You can always go back to Avast free if you don't like Bitdefender IS.You know what works best for you."If it aint broke dont fix it" It is a Security Suite.Or you could give it to someone who really wants it or trade for something else.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Nothing wrong with trying BitDefender IS 2003, but if Avast is keeping you safe then there is no other reason to change.

Thanks.:D

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
here's my 2 cents worth i had for a period of 8 to 10 months with avast AV /hitman pro / malwarebytes (on demand scanners) and i was infected by many things but only 2 software hitman pro and malwarebytes picked off the infections not avast so i dont like or want avast on or near my computer thx

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
"A unused key is a wasted key"

True, so that is why if you don't need it, give it to a friend that don't have an AV or theirs has expired.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 got some very good results in AV-Comparatives tests , I'm planning on installing this suite later today just to see if those tests are biased or not...... Also would be interesting to see how much system impact this product will cause.

6dK52.jpg

Avast Free is awesome, but if you have a key for BIS 2013 I would go ahead and try this product!

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Agree with Jack.

I have tried BTS and I think Av comparitives result are not biased. Bitdefender detected almost everything I thrown on it maybe its malware,virus,fake software or malicious links which were missed by almost other leading names.
On recourse Its amazingly improved and now a lot light on system

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
You will love it BSOD. Ok for a little fun set the IDS to high. You will have a working HIPS at hand. Once IDS goes to high Bitdefender although asks a lot of questions and some FPS. But after whitelisting certain apps, it will catch anything you throw at it.

Just use BDIS.

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Alright, thanks for the feedback! I will try it out sometime this week. :) The only concern I have is that it might drastically impact my computer's performance when compared to Avast!

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
BSOD said:
Alright, thanks for the feedback! I will try it out sometime this week. :) The only concern I have is that it might drastically impact my computer's performance when compared to Avast!

Definitely you will feel some impact in compare with Avast but I assure you Year 2012 bring excellent Antivirus with low impact on system.

Av like kaspersky & bitdefender improved a lot and a medium end computer able to handle them now.

Thanks

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
This post got me interested so I tried it out on Windows 8 yesterday.It disables windows defender and firewall.Installation took some time,the installer is only 2MB but the file is upwards of 250MB.There wasnt a huge impact on boot time,no more than KIS 2013 or ESET Smart Security.Memory consumption was pretty good,Better than KIS 2013.When running in the background I had it using 34MB of ram.It has some really good features.It automatically scanned all the sites I went to in both firefox and Google Chrome.It also has a "safepay" function,which is like a browser to pay online.I didnt try any gaming or testing it against malware but from the ratings I have seen it is very good.Im not sure memory wise how it would compare with avast but it is a security suite and didnt seem to impact my system any more than any other security suites.It uninstalled just fine.If I didnt have 9 months left on my KIS keys I would seriously consider using this Security Suite.

VectorFool

Verified
Dec 17, 2012
Go for BitDefender
I've no idea about their detection or Protection rates (as i am no tester), but the Online comparatives(AV-C, AV-T, VB100) show it to be a stalwart
But one thing i know for sure is that BDAV 2013 is a massive improvement over its predecessor 2012 version in terms of System Resource Usage and 2nd Scan speeds (it makes a whitelist on first scan and skips them on subsequent ones scanning only new and changed files)
This coming from a user who has used Avira Premium for the last 3 years, so you can be assured that your PC remains excellently usable after installing BD.
i am Using BDAV 2013 Plus with Comodo Firewall (proactive), they both get along famously :D

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Agreed, BD 2013 is a great imporvement. I could not get the 2012 version to install on my system.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
malbky said:
Agreed, BD 2013 is a great imporvement. I could not get the 2012 version to install on my system.

I am still able to find a 90 day Trial Installer for Bitdefender Total Security 2013 - 90 day (v16.25.0.1710).I have downloaded it but have not had a chance to install it yet.I have scanned with numerous tools and it is 100% clean.I looked to see if there was a post here on the forum boards but couldnt find anything.Does anyone know about this?

Installed this today with 90 day trial Installer
magicalsnap201212191712.png

P

Plexx

BD does have some slight shortcomings if you just moved it from avast!.

Number one shortcoming unless this has been fixed (which I doubt): Scan speed. Unless you exclude specific folders of applications you know they are safe, good luck waiting for it to finish scanning. Sure one will say: set it at night and go to sleep. But during that time, your computer is running for 2+ hours when with another vendor time can be cut down to 50%.

Depending on your computer usage, the Firewall and Auto Pilot on can make some wrong decisions (at least that's what happened when I test ran it (not referring to reviews I have done).

On a side note: I have used 2 computers recently, similar specs and both had BDTS 2013 installed. For some odd reason one had some browsing speed decreased while the other didn't and they were both on the same sites.

That being said, if you can overcome the main short coming, then if the others are not relevant or not important, then feel free to have BD.

Personally, I just had bad luck with both vendors on some high end machines, whilst low and mid end are fine (don't ask, its a mystery).

BSOD

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Biozfear said:
Personally, I just had bad luck with both vendors on some high end machines, whilst low and mid end are fine (don't ask, its a mystery).

How do you think it would run on this?
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bWamubrWibyBWyLkMEFvIEY

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I had no problems running Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 on my laptop;
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26GHz

If something were to go wrong, then you know the End of World is happening. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.