Upgrade or Clean Install whenever a new build releases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Hello everyone I want to ask that whenever Windows 10 releases a new build is it good to upgrade via Windows update or Clean Install? Till now everytime they realeases a new build I have done a clean install but that is a big headache because I have to install all the softwares and configure the system from the beginning.
So please share your reviews on this.
Thank You

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hello everyone I want to ask that whenever Windows 10 releases a new build is it good to upgrade via Windows update or Clean Install? Till now everytime they realeases a new build I have done a clean install but that is a big headache because I have to install all the softwares and configure the system from the beginning.
So please share your reviews on this.
Thank You
I always upgrade. I hate clean installs, it's too much work.

Take a system image. Turn off all security apps and undo system tweaks that might interfere.
Get it all set up to go, and then let it run when it doesn't bother you, like at night or something. Hope for the best. Usually the upgrade works quite well, in my limited experience. If you are not happy, you can clean install the next day.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
As I image often any issues can be sorted by imaging back. I have so many programs on this PC, all needed I would never have time to reinstall all the programs, some to do with my job. I can't remember the last time I reinstalled this PC (or my windows lappy) & they run perfectly, fast boot & totally stable. I really don't know what I would gain from a reinstall other than several days work with no advantage - Of course others think differently - Looking for a new mainboard so of course I will need to then :)

G

Genux

Upgrade is easier, convenient and as-intended by Microsoft for existing users. Clean install is ideal for new hardware builds, recovering from hardware failure, malware-issue or corrupted OS. Windows, Mac, Android and iOS all allow you to upgrade without losing all of your installed data.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Always clean installing here, no more junk files/drivers left and no major issues due to these leftovers, except some cosmetic bugs sometimes.

Not saying programs incompatibility when upgrading.

I agree with this. I too only do clean installs, less headaches IMHO. Like you its a fresh start, you can install all the latest drivers and the latest versions of your programs as well. Also, for me anyways, to reevaluate all of my software. If I find that there's a program(s) that I don't use and or rarely use, then I don't install it after I reinstalled Windows.

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Thank you all for your valuable comments. All of you are right and all your points are correct but clean install is the safest. If something goes wrong while upgrading then my whole system will corrupt if that happens it will be a bigger headache than doing a clean install.

So I have decided to do a clean install this time, probably from next time I will try to upgrade because Microsoft told that they will focus on the quality of windows 10 in the upcoming updates.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have to install all the softwares and configure the system from the beginning.
Patch My PC - Patch Management Made Easy contains a lot of apps, so that alone might save you a lot of time and you can save most preferences by saving config/ini files. As for Windows settings, it gets a little more complicated, but it is is still manageable to save some settings, especially if you use Microsoft account, which should sync some. Last time I did a clean, it took me only 50 mins from booting USB to finish.

I use those 2 files for setup, then I just apply my batch file with the rest of the settings.
[Batch] Windows Setup 1 - Pastebin.com and [Batch] Windows Setup 2 - Pastebin.com

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
A clean install should be the best choice when possible.
I got problems with a specific software I use for work that had license issues after a new Windows install.
I lost a couple of days to fix things.

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Hello everyone today I tried to create the bootable media via MCT but after the download completes while it was processing to write those file into the usb I got an error mct-error-0x80042405.jpg . Previously I have created so many bootable USB via MCT but don't know what has happened this time. So please help me also anyone of you ever encountered this kind of error.

Attachments

• mct-error-0x80042405.jpg
    mct-error-0x80042405.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 347

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Hello everyone today I tried to create the bootable media via MCT but after the download completes while it was processing to write those file into the usb I got an error mct-error-0x80042405.jpg . Previously I have created so many bootable USB via MCT but don't know what has happened this time. So please help me also anyone of you ever encountered this kind of error.
MCT is built by Microsoft so such kinds of errors is expected :D Not making fun of your situation. You could try proven reliable apps like Rufus for making USB bootable.

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
Do a clean install, then right away, update Windows and install your vital apps/softs, then do a backup. Will save you lot of time later.
Dear sir do you use Media Creation Tool to create the bootable usb?

Reactions: Weebarra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.