Not open for further replies.

himagain

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2013
Hi guys!
Was about to download and install using the good instructions from this site,
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/download-windows-7-sp1-iso/
when several people elsewhere said No no no!!!!

You cannot just upgrade to even W7 64 bit from W7 32 bit.
You have to start again with a clean drive! OR ELSE!

Luckily I HAD decided to make sure...........

What is the truth, guys???

Cheers!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Yes you must use the same platform 32/64 bit for upgrading.

If you want Windows 8 64 bit, I recommend to do a complete install.

Make sure your system has the requirements- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/system-requirements

The requirements are different for 64 bit.

Check your system with Upgrade Assistant to make sure.

Thanks.:D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
As Littlebits said, if you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

Anyway, I don't you do a clean install? Just save all your personal files and folders, and upgrade to 64bit.

himagain

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2013
UPDATE OF RESEARCH TO NOW:

Quote: " Upgrading to Windows 8 Pro:If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.:. ENDQUOTE
Quote from OFFICEWORKS SITE RE $55 UPGRADE,

It now appears as though there is GREAT confusion out there based on 3 things:
1. Whether it is a paid upgrade.
2. Whether even if you have W732, you can EVER upgrade to 64, anyway.
3. Unless you had W7PRO the upgrade won't work anyway.

I am STILL getting conflicting info from all over. 50/50 pro and con.....

All I started out to do was get to 64bit version of my existing W7 HomePremium 32 Bit.

Seems I can - (possibly) but only by trashing my existing setup and starting again.

I have a similar problem with my Holden Berlina: It is a gas/petrol version which only starts on odd-numbered days of the month and with an "R" in them.........

And a new fridge which the specifications simply don't add up as to volumes claimed. The maths don't work.

Think I'll go to bed early - my car has just been towed back to the mechanics - The Tow Truck Driver remembers me....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well its natural environment hardware are capable for 32 to 32 bit and same for 64 bit.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation. If available in your country or region, you can buy Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro from a participating retail store. You can also buy it online from the Microsoft Store in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Please note that the Windows 8 Pro Pack is used to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, and isn't for cross-architecture installs and doesn't include any media. If you want to change architectures, buy Windows 8 Pro.

You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Since you can't keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version, what would be the point? save your files to backup and just do a clean install.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Can you clarify, do you intend to Switch from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit OR Upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit. Your first post and title are very different.

himagain

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2013
Earth said:
Can you clarify, do you intend to Switch from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit OR Upgrade to Windows 8 64-bit. Your first post and title are very different.

Hi there,
THIS is where the confusion comes from, alright!
1. I need to go from W7 Home premium 32 to W764 home premium as a minimum.

2. It would be nice to painlessly go to W8 Home premium as above, or even reload to get to W8.

In the case of 1, it is supposed to be possible without a complete reload, depending on who you ask.

In the case of 2, There are offers for an inexpensive upgrade to W8PRO @$55 from some local sources, including disks for 32 and 64.
***** HOWEVER, it appears that to use this upgrade, you *might* have to have W7PRO already installed??.

THIS was my optimum solution, a $55 answer. But I don't want to spend hundreds on upgrading Windows to W7PRO, then upgrading it to 64 bit.
(I only use Windows as Dragon won't run in Linux and who needs more than that with Libre Open Office?)

Cheers and thanks,

himagain

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2013
Littlebits said:
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation.

########### Yes, that was the plan. But apparently as I posted below - you can only do that from an existing PRO version.

Please note that the Windows 8 Pro Pack is used to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro, and isn't for cross-architecture installs and doesn't include any media. If you want to change architectures, buy Windows 8 Pro.

####### Not worth the time and expense if I have to buy W7Pro.
Haven't found an option to just go from W7 home premium to W8.

You won't be able to keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

######### According to the MS Assistant, I can keep virtually all my files in the upgrade...... so long as I have W7PRO to start with... :-{

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Since you can't keep any files, settings, or apps when you upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version, what would be the point? save your files to backup and just do a clean install.
########## Even happy to do that now as it seems the other avenues are exhausted, it would have been nice.... :)

Hi I answered directly above with ##### prefix to make it easy.
Thanks for your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.