Protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Security & Privacy Apps
F-Secure SAFE
Browser
Opera with built-in ad blocker.
File and Photo backup
Huaweis automatic built-in backup and Huaweis tool HiSuite.
Notable changes
December 25th. Updated to EMUI version 10.0.0.182

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Soon 1 year since I got this phone and I'm still so far satisfied.

Latest security update received today.

EMUI 10 ( Android 10 ) is said to be released for P20 Pro next month. 🤞

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.380.

Includes updated Android Security patch : January 1, 2020
Previous Google Play issues after the updates seems solved. 🤞

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This was serious great shared information. Extremely appreciated as after a few head scratches and some searching because I couldn't wrap my head around why Microsoft would deem the obvious flaw, non important. The article also involves Microsofts Authenticator ( MA ) and I managed to find why and also a solution. It was staring me right in the face and I had totally missed it, until now. @silversurfer , you serious rock! 🥳:LOL::emoji_beer:

MA actually have several built-in features that should work well enough against a screen catching malware. Then again if actually infected, things already gone very wrong.

The 30 second time frame on automatic generated codes is a real narrow/short period and the malware have to work 100% as for example, MA actually also works offline. The malware of course needs online access as otherwise it can't send any working codes. MA also has 2 options I seen, but never fully could understand why. App Lock and hide the codes, now enabled on my phone. That last one is sort of obvious what it protects against, but the app lock thwart/blocks any malicious app from open MA. The options for the app lock is either the phones pin code, fingerprint or face. On Huawei P20 Pro I can even add a combination of these if wanted.

Microsofts developers have though been extra smart and for 2FA access with MA on Microsofts own products added another layer.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
This was serious great shared information. Extremely appreciated as after a few head scratches and some searching because I couldn't wrap my head around why Microsoft would deem the obvious flaw, non important. The article also involves Microsofts Authenticator ( MA ) and I managed to find why and also a solution. It was staring me right in the face and I had totally missed it, until now. @silversurfer , you serious rock! 🥳:LOL::emoji_beer:

MA actually have several built-in features that should work well enough against a screen catching malware. Then again if actually infected, things already gone very wrong.

The 30 second time frame on automatic generated codes is a real narrow/short period and the malware have to work 100% as for example, MA actually also works offline. The malware of course needs online access as otherwise it can't send any working codes. MA also has 2 options I seen, but never fully could understand why. App Lock and hide the codes, now enabled on my phone. That last one is sort of obvious what it protects against, but the app lock thwart/blocks any malicious app from open MA. The options for the app lock is either the phones pin code, fingerprint or face. On Huawei P20 Pro I can even add a combination of these if wanted.

Microsofts developers have though been extra smart and for 2FA access with MA on Microsofts own products added another layer.

But you described the solution, so both you @upnorth and @silversurfer rock 🤘

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.387.

Includes updated Android Security patch : March 1, 2020

blacksheep

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Mar 8, 2020
Updated to EMUI version 9.1.0.387.

Includes updated Android Security patch : March 1, 2020
I was so happy to see that update and hoped it was EMUI 10... but no :/

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
EMUI 10 delayed again. :sleep:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 10.0.0.161.

Includes updated Android Security patch : April 1, 2020

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
While galaxy S2 had Android Q before Huawei .
I don't doubt that, but I'm not doing any jailbreak as it was not needed. I also in general don't recommend it, and with my phone it simply won't happen. Thanks anyway for the video. (y)
Initial impressions of EMUI 10.x?

Updates for XZ2 are becoming less frequent as it passes 2 year old mark. Hopefully Android 11 is still on the tables.
The very first impression was, it's different. The UI ( user interface ) has in some parts been changed. Noted extra in the settings menu and also in the notification bar. The icons looks better and most apps seems to work, but I need a few days to get a better overview. It does in some parts feels a tiny bit sluggish or slow, but it can also be me that ain't fully used yet to the new parts.

The main installation itself worked flawless, but was for some unknown reason only available via Huaweis support app. Huawei actually released a compatible patch for apps just one day before. The security updates are sadly the same, but the app updates has never been an issue. Android 11 is not official for P20 Pro, but I can hope 10.1 will be. I'm just glad I finally got Android 10.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Sadly it seems P20 Pro won't get Android 10.1. This model/version is coming up to it's end of life. I'll stick with it and keep using it I guess as long the security updates is available.

Android 10 and Huaweis latest EMUI, for sure made the phone work better. Taking calls and also answer/read notifications is now much easier and faster. I'm lucky as I didn't get the battery drain and display turns off during calls issue as others had, but Opera sometimes hangs for two or three seconds and that never happened before. Will see if it occurs even after next update I'll might send a bug report about it.

Taking pictures and video suddenly became even better as now for example the video got a stabilisation feature that works. Huawei also added a feature called " smart " charging where it's supposed to delay the charging itself so the battery will last longer. That was turned on by default and noted when it didn't fast as usual went up to 100%. Disabled, as personal I want my phones battery to be fully charged. It's simply one less thing to worry about.

I liked how it automatic warned about apps using permission such as location and how easy it was to turn that off. Many apps don't need a 24/7 location access, but works just fine when the app is actually used.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Updated to EMUI version 10.0.0.171.

Includes updated Android Security patch : July 1, 2020

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.