Protected by a PIN code
Find my Phone
On
Security & Privacy Apps
F-Secure SAFE
Browser
Opera with built-in ad blocker.
File and Photo backup
Huaweis automatic built-in backup and Huaweis tool HiSuite.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
My beloved Windows phone have now sadly been buried. 😞 Well I knew it would have to happen sooner or later and here I finally are. The model/vendor on this new one was supposed to be something a bit different but I'm at the moment satisfied anyway.

Found some very good tips on how to optimize the phone as seen in this video.

Also need to upgrade with a screen protection and a flip cover. It does come with a basic transparent case.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
When I installed SAFE it did warn me about Huaweis battery optimization feature as it can be a bit too harsh and close down things it shouldn't. The setting link for this was supplied by a pop up from SAFE but, I manged to fiddle with other settings so that was gone before I could use it. Also as Huawei has it's own overlay Android version, called EMUI ( now version 9.0 ) finding the battery optimization settings wasn't as straight forward as I thought. They changed a whole deal since version 8. I did finally find it and turned that Off for SAFE and even for the VPN but, for unknown reasons the VPN was closed this morning. Could be for some other reason or even another setting. At the moment I don't have a clue but I will watch it.

Tested it's video screen recording. That felt serious great. Smooth, fast and just flawless.

Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@upnorth

Do you have some tips to migrate from Windows Phone to Android? I am interested in your experience and tips (as a former Windows phone owner :)

My Lumia 635 is walking on its last legs, so I am already looking for alternatives. I am looking at a cheaper model, the Nokia 7 plus at the moment (which is 239 euro in Holland, huawei 20 lite is 220 euro's), but I am postponing as long as possible.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Great question @Windows_Security as I did test several ways and even the built-in option on my Windows phone. I'm gonna be kind and don't swear even if I would like because for me, it was a major headache. Was like ending up in two alternative Universe. Windows didn't recognize/saw Android and Android didn't understand what Windows was. :oops:

The Huawei also comes with this sort of tools to transfers files etc but as it didn't work as it should and like I wanted, all I ended up with was using the Windows phones explorer tool and with Blue-tooth. Great for small files like ring/call signals etc. As I had most of my files online ( OneDrive ), I just installed the OneDrive app and logged in and easy peacy could download anything I wanted to store internal on the new phone with much greater speed then Blue-tooth.

I do know it exist some other 3rd parties transfer tools for Android, but I can't recommend any of those as I never used them. Hopefully others can advice/help better then me, but for the Windows phone it's probably best to do it through OneDrive. I'm not sure you have/use OneDrive but you get 5 GB with Microsofts free email service. Outlook.

Nokia 7 or even 6 are both great alternatives. (y)

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@Windows_Security I forgot that on Lumia 635 you don't have Windows 10 Mobile. That's Windows Phone 8.1 ( Lumia Cyan ) right? There might be a transfer tool/app on the 635. Still, connect yourself to your preferred Online storage service and do whats needed in the browser, should probably be the best choice.

Fix a screen protection, found out that the device already have that out of the box. (y)

Last edited:

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
My beloved Windows phone have now sadly been buried. :emoji_disappointed: Well I knew it would have to happen sooner or later and here I finally are. The model/vendor on this new one was supposed to be something a bit different but I'm at the moment satisfied anyway.

Found some very good tips on how to optimize the phone as seen in this video.

Also need to upgrade with a screen protection and a flip cover. It does come with a basic transparent case.

I read this article. What do you think, is it going to happen? Intel making Windows phone!!!

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I read this article. What do you think, is it going to happen? Intel making Windows phone!!!
This should hopefully answer your question. It's sad but one has to move on.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It can be fooled.
Correct and for example F-Secure showed how extremely poor the feature is along with Androids feature, Smart Lock.

Even fingerprints sorry to say have it's downside.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@oldschool, combined with the finder and extra lock, alarm and wipe feature built into F-Secure SAFE that all is enabled, should be enough of basic layers but again, nothing on a phone is 100% bullet proof and especially if it gets stolen and the only thing the thief wants, is the phone itself.

One can always tweak the security more and close down a lot, but one also has to try recall just as with a PC, what one wants to use it for and with what level of usability. It's a balance that can be hard to find as it's always once personal preference that in the end matters. For example Smart lock and it's automatic unlock feature based on a personal set "trusted" location/zone, ones home etc is a very smooth and fast option and the phone even ask about it. Smart developers IMO.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.