US Military Supplier in ‘Made in America’ Fraud Case

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Aventura Technologies – an American surveillance equipment vendor located on Long Island, New York – has been busted for allegedly slapping phony “Made in the U.S.A.” labels on Chinese gear and selling it to customers including the US military and federal government.

For years, Aventura’s been shipping out boxes with American flag logos to outfit government agencies. Its gear – the company sells surveillance cameras, ground-based radar, artificial intelligence (AI) and facial recognition software, and many other hardware and software security technologies – has been installed on everything from aircraft carriers to a Department of Energy facility. The alleged fraud was discovered last year by an Air Force service member who noticed Chinese characters displayed on the built-in screen of one of the company’s body cameras. On Thursday, federal prosecutors in Brooklyn said that seven defendants – current and former Aventura employees – have allegedly been lying for years, claiming that the equipment had been manufactured at Aventura’s base in Commack, New York. Actually, they were allegedly peddling made-in-China electronics with “known cyber vulnerabilities”, raising the possibility that US agencies have installed software in security networks that China could use for spying.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Same food rebrand scandals happens in Europe and even in Sweden but, this is extremely far beyond that as this scandal direct involves the military of the United States of America either one like them or not, and their equipments. It makes me wonder if this also includes other countries military.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I see a laundry-list of crimes here. Sorry, "alleged" crimes. Could these crooks possibly be charged with treason? That of itself would be a very nice and long stay in the federal slammer, courtesy of the US taxpayer. 😡 Maybe they can sell that luxurious yacht for something.

I would think some would still be gleeful-- the almighty US military got suckered and hoodwinked. It's embarassing to us, even though the fraud was caught eventually.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

To be honest, shame on the military who doesn't seems to have done any kind of serious verifications of the products when they are delivered. I could understand if it was a public servant, but the militarily...come on...

Cheap prices rules and will always rules. China understood it, that is why it dominates global markets and others can barely compete.
Sadly, China wouldn't be so powerful if it wasnt for the greed of western companies/nations who seeks cheap labors overseas and accepting to share intellectual properties while reducing their own citizens to poverty and loosing edge in the competition. 5G is the best example.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I see a laundry-list of crimes here. Sorry, "alleged" crimes. Could these crooks possibly be charged with treason? That of itself would be a very nice and long stay in the federal slammer, courtesy of the US taxpayer. 😡
Charged with Fraud, Money Laundering and Illegal Importation of Equipment Manufactured in China
I read the file and, I couldn't see any more then those three already officially stated charges. This Cabasso family more seems/sounds like scam artists IMO then actual traitors, but I could be wrong. They each individually risk up to 20 years in jail and I think actual treason is much higher.

They obvious was stupid enough as all thieves are that get caught ( The defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty. ) , but getting involved with the US military in the US in a possible scam business is just asking for more trouble then needed. Can guess they couldn't stop themselves as this been going on since 2006.

Aventura Technologies been selling equipment also abroad, but exactly to what countries and other private firms I haven't found yet. Personal I find it odd that their site and social media accounts haven't been closed down.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
HiKVision (the alleged Chinese supplier)
The official DOJ ( Department of Justice ) document don't even mention that company or am I missing something? 🤔

I don't doubt for a second that they did business with each other but, that's a huge difference from actually be officially accused by US authorities.

Last edited:

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
The official DOJ ( Department of Justice ) document don't even mention that company or am I missing something? 🤔

I don't doubt for a second that they did business with each other but, that's a huge difference from actually be officially accused by US authorities.

IPVM did some detective work and uncloaked who the unnamed suppliers are.

The part that really bothers me is that the supplier conspired to remove their branding as well, so it was a mutual partnered attempted to defraud the US government.

Hikvision cameras are internationally popular because they are low priced and have a lot of AI features typically costing tens of thousands of dollars per camera.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
That investigation for sure nailed the connection even IMO.

Great share. Thanks!
Thank you! I only made the connection because a data scientist I follow on Twitter pointed out the racial profiling AI feature. I'm surprised that more media outlets have not picked up on the alleged vendor and their troubling history of basically being the main Orweillian tech provider for the Chinese government as well as being responsible for so many of the camera botnets out there.....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.