US Officially Bans Kaspersky Products From Government Systems

Discussion in 'Security News' started by ras74, Sep 14, 2017.

1. ras74

ras74 Level 2

May 11, 2014

2. 212eta

212eta Level 5

May 11, 2011
    Windows Desktop
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    The U.S. Anti-Malware Vendors have been delighted...:LOL:

3. venustus

venustus Level 41
    Content Creator Trusted

Dec 30, 2012
    Sydney
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    They can gloat all they want but they can't beat Kaspersky's R@D in the cybersecurity game!!:D
    I don't work for Kaspersky, but the powers that be that are targeting them in this witch hunt is unethical.
    Just my 2cents...:)

4. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 6

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I think everyone knows what I think... this is pure political propaganda. If their worry was actually tactical, i.e. Russian software running in US Government systems may be subverted to send sensitive information to Russian Government, the ban would have to hit Dr. Web and Adguard as well, even if in a preventive form, to stop them from ever being installed in said systems. I don't see those products mentioned even as footnote anywhere...

5. ispx

ispx Level 13

Jun 21, 2017
    not reachable
    excellent observation MV. coming to think of it, that is so factual.

6. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Level 1

Aug 19, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    Windows 10
    Webroot
    I'm probably in the minority here. But, this is one person who won't be using Kaspersky anytime soon. I had a very bad experience with the software and the company a couple of years back. It totally wrecked one of my PC's. In addition, if there are concerns by the federal government about this software/company, why would I even want to chance it when there are so many other options out there?!

Behold Eck, frogboy and bribon77 like this.
  7. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 6

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Back in 2012 I had to uninstall Kaspersky by force because it was making my computer unusable. I went back to Kaspersky in 2016 and it has run flawlessly in my systems since then. Even if the product was pure trash it wouldn't change the fact that it is being used as a political propaganda tool by the US Government. If a single piece of evidence is found It won't take me more than 5 minutes to change products in my personal machines.

8. venustus

venustus Level 41
    Content Creator Trusted

Dec 30, 2012
    Sydney
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
  9. rockstarrocks

rockstarrocks Level 11

Apr 16, 2017
    Civil Engineer
    Delhi>India>Asia>Earth>S.S.>Milky way>Our Universe
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    Eugene Kaspersky said on Thursday he accepted an invitation to testify to U.S. lawmakers later this month over the security of his company’s products.

10. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Level 11

Jan 16, 2017
    Outer Space
    Windows 8.1
    Emsisoft
  11. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 25
    Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Davao del Norte
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    My personal stand is that if an undeniable evidence surfaces against Kaspersky, then I will immediately uninstall the product. Until then, I'm confident in using it. :)

I'm currently using Kaspersky Internet Security 2018, by the way. :)

Just like what others have said, it was illogical in the first place for the US Departments/Agencies to use a security software that is foreign in origin, let alone coming from a state deemed to be hostile.

rockstarrocks, ispx, mlnevese and 5 others like this.
  12. dmzbg79

dmzbg79 Level 24

Oct 28, 2014
    This move by the American government is politicly motivated and has nothing to do with antivirus software...

venustus, rockstarrocks and mlnevese like this.
  13. crezz

crezz Level 2

Jun 6, 2017
    Ire
    Other OS
    Norton
    What about the Chinese made processors in most computer hardware ?

14. Opcode

Opcode Level 2

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    The U.S government aren't banning the software for everyone, only for their own systems. There is no evidence for Kaspersky actually spying on them and forwarding recorded data back to the Russian government, however the law in Russia is that you have to co-operate with providing information should the request be permitted under law AFAIK... I suspect this is the reason why it is being banned from being used on government systems, because should Kaspersky ever be forced to do something under law, they'll have no choice unless they pack their bags and move elsewhere.

The ban does not mean Kaspersky cannot be trusted or do not take their work seriously - they do a lot of work and have prevented billions of infections. They also offered source code auditing after things started being said about them.

Most security software does collect data though, and some vendors like Avast even sell it (and make this clear to the user during installation stages). If the government of the country where the product is being developed in enforces data sharing under the law, then there is not much that the vendor can do if they lose the battle (e.g. court).

venustus, harlan4096, frogboy and 2 others like this.
  15. mlnevese

mlnevese Level 6

May 3, 2015
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I actually think that if their only worry was that Kaspersky can be ordered to deliver information to the Russian government they would have banished all Russian security software not only Kaspersky.

Either Kaspersky grew too much and was becoming a threat to American companies in their own territory or something else happened and Kaspersky is paying the price.

16. stevethetester

stevethetester Level 1

Jan 3, 2016
    uk
    Typical USA witch hunt, all smoke and mirrors. Deflecting attention away from what is really going on by the country that has honed and refined the false flag operation to a fine art all in the name of "patriotism". How can we be sure that the same can't be said for any of the american vendors or is it possibly more a case of the CIA etc having already hacked these security suites but haven't been able to do the same with Kaspersky? I have absolutely no beef or affiliation with either USA or Russia but am just fed up of the new wave of McCarthy style tactics and will continue to Kaspersky Total Security 2018 without any qualms even though I also have a full and legal licence for Bitdefender Total Security 2018. Mind you, Bitdefender is Romanian, so perhaps the witch hunt will extend to them as well at some point because of Romania's past relationship with Russia.........

17. plat1098

plat1098 Level 2

Aug 23, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    I like what you said. Under the umbrella of "it's classified but nevertheless of great concern so follow what we do without question," just what are consumers and home users supposed to do, brainlessly throw money and loyalty away? Rarely do I find news stories annoying but this is one of them.

18. Entreri

Entreri Level 5

May 25, 2015
    This is just a bunch of crap, Kaspersky has been around for more than 20 years, why now? BestBuy banning the product as well, crazy.

Besides the current politics, it maybe that Kaspersky is not playing ball with Western intelligence agencies. White listing malware, back doors and what not.

venustus and mlnevese like this.