US Sanctions Russia Over NotPetya Outbreak, Energy Grid Hacks, Election Meddling

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
The United States has imposed sanctions against Russian entities for the NotPetya ransomware outbreak, cyber-attacks on the US power grid, and their attempts to influence the 2016 US presidential election process.

The sanctions were announced earlier today in a press release by the US Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

The US Treasury has named five entities and 19 individuals in its press release. The name at the top of the sanctions list is the Internet Research Agency LLC (IRA), a so-called "troll farm" operated out of Sankt Petersburg, involved with the proliferation of fake news and the creation of several controversial organizations that attempted to sway the outcome of the 2016 US election.

US administration takes action following Dragonfly attacks
The list includes mainly individuals and organizations lending support to IRA, but also some high-ranking officials in Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) and Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) —believed to be involved with the NotPetya ransomware outbreak and the cyber-attacks on the US energy sector.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) issued a joint alert through the US-CERT website detailing the attacks on the US power grid.

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Microsoft supported by Microsoft Co
The results of each period change
I will use Bitdefender Internet Security 2018
If I thought about moving I would choose GDATA Internet Security 2018

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
And people here continue to say that the intelligence community is overreacting. What kind of country does that these types of attacks? This borders an act of war. What if they managed to shut down electricity? So many important systems in our country depend on it. Wasn't there an NHS hospital in the UK that got locked out due to NotPetya? Oh and meddling in the elections. The sanctions are appropriate but personally I would prefer that the intelligence agencies find who was behind it and make sure they can't do this again. Make their computer fans stop and CPUs overheat.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.