US Senate votes to allow ISPs to share your browsing history without your permission

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
In what seems like it could become a privacy nightmare for citizens, the US Senate just has just jumped over the first hurdle that will allow Internet providers to share your browsing history, along with other vital information like geolocation, health information, and financial information without your consent. The controversial measure overturns a previous rule that made it mandatory for the providers to obtain permission before sharing the data.

The rule which saw 50 Republicans approve and 48 Democrats against it, now heads to the U.S. House of Representatives for further consideration. If this passes through the House, it will then makes its way to being signed by the President, then at which point, will effectively allow your Internet provider to sell your data. That's not all though, as it will also prevent the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from monitoring the broadband service providers.

As stated prior, this would still have to be approved by the House, and as of now, it has not been decided when they will take up the measure.

Source: Reuters

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It's much ado about nothing, just make sure you make it hard for them,
one step is replacing your DNS servers from the default your ISP assigns,
"if they let you change it" mine does so I use AdGuards DNS servers.
I am not saying this will stop all or that this is all you need to do, but
it is a big step in the right direction ;)
Step 1> Change your DNS to Adguard or another secure 3rd party.
Step 2> Use a homepage and search engine that will not track you
or collect info, I use the Duck.
Other steps include cleaning your browser regularly, set it to clean at closing,
I do this and have Ccleaner clean it too at closing, just to make sure.

Last edited:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
It's much ado about nothing, just make sure you make it hard for them,
one step is replacing your DNS servers from the default your ISP assigns,
"if they let you change it" mine does so I use AdGuards DNS servers.
I am not saying this will stop all or that this is all you need to do, but
it is a big step in the right direction ;)
Step 1> Change your DNS to Adguard or another secure 3rd party.
Step 2> Use a homepage and search engine that will not track you
or collect info, I use the Duck.
Other steps include cleaning your browser regularly, set it to clean at closing,
I do this and have Ccleaner clean it too at closing, just to make sure.

True, but they can still track you down, at least in the EU, as far as i know, ISPs (yours and the DNS service provider's as well if in the EU) are forced to give up some data to authorities if you are doing nasty stuff on the Internet and they find you somehow. So in one way or another, privacy is questionable no matter what you do in certain regions of the world.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
True, but they can still track you down, at least in the EU, as far as i know, ISPs (yours and the DNS service provider's as well if in the EU) are forced to give up some data to authorities if you are doing nasty stuff on the Internet and they find you somehow. So in one way or another, privacy is questionable no matter what you do in certain regions of the world.
I don't know how this works in other countries but as far as I know, here ISPs don't track users activity nor they are allowed to unless authorities give them explicit permission.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.