US Senate votes to allow ISPs to share your browsing history without your permission

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A clear path where EU and US have different outputs and importance for the rights of citizens.

Honestly it's a disgrace since a major flaw will allow to gather information (history) without permission. Something already beyond on the rights of a person to disclose the data.

Not sure if the US Senate conducted a serious discussion cause even an elementary student will understand about privacy issues.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why does an ISP need my browsing data? Sounds greedy.

The purpose [behind in the paper works] of gathering information is for statistics purposes on how to improve services.

However in reality, it's a tool for data mining and selling information besides to connect on military for surveillance.

We are already in the world of greediness and corruption.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's much ado about nothing, just make sure you make it hard for them,
one step is replacing your DNS servers from the default your ISP assigns,
"if they let you change it" mine does so I use AdGuards DNS servers.
I am not saying this will stop all or that this is all you need to do, but
it is a big step in the right direction ;)
Step 1> Change your DNS to Adguard or another secure 3rd party.
Step 2> Use a homepage and search engine that will not track you
or collect info, I use the Duck.
Other steps include cleaning your browser regularly, set it to clean at closing,
I do this and have Ccleaner clean it too at closing, just to make sure.
This will not particularly help. All traffic you have will pass from their servers. So if you don't use a vpn they will still see the locations you are connecting and when not on ssl even the data you are passing through if they wanted.
Changing dns works only in cases they do dns redirecting for when they block sites in a stupid way. In this case the problem is way worse.

Everyone should grab a vpn and protect themselves if they are worried about their privacy. There are a few vpn out there that are pretty good and they seem to care about user privacy.

Golden King

Level 1
Oct 15, 2014
Why does an ISP need my browsing data? Sounds greedy.

First thing comes to my mind is that they will sell all the data about you to advertisers.
I literally mean everything. Your visited webpages, your shopping, your financial transaction, the clip you watch, the news you read, the unencrypted message you send... Your whole digital life is for sale.
I think, a lot of big advertising companies out there are willing to pay big money for that data.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
In reality, our browsing history is already pretty secure for the simple fact that a lot of sites today use automatically the HTTPS encrypted protocol in place of HTTP: in other words, if you use HTTPS, your ISP can know which site you visited, but may not know which page of the site you have browsed. If you do a search in Google with HTTPS, your provider knows that you have consulted Google, but they do not know what you asked for.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm not sure, would a VPN exclude your ISP to track the browsing history? I think yes.
Of course, it is mandatory to change DNS too: using the ISP defaults will let them track your destination before you reach it.
It is not said that using a VPN is the best things. A VPN directs all your Internet traffic through the servers of a company. Your navigation then, seems to come from that company and your provider cannot know which sites you visit, because the connection from your device to the company that offers the VPN is encrypted. But this means that all your browsing activity is passing through the provider of the VPN, which could sell it or read it, for example, if you visit questionable sites. Using a free VPN or provided by strangers providers, could reduce your privacy navigation.

If you decide to adopt a VPN for any reason, it is better to choose reputable providers that don't store the browsing history, for example Freedome, TunnelBear or PIA, etc. You could also use Opera browser, which has an option to browse with a VPN included.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This will not particularly help. All traffic you have will pass from their servers. So if you don't use a vpn they will still see the locations you are connecting and when not on ssl even the data you are passing through if they wanted.
Changing dns works only in cases they do dns redirecting for when they block sites in a stupid way. In this case the problem is way worse.

Everyone should grab a vpn and protect themselves if they are worried about their privacy. There are a few vpn out there that are pretty good and they seem to care about user privacy.
Correct for the most part brother, I'm on Satellite Internet, changing DNS servers "for me" does cripple most of their data collection.
Twice I have had service calls for issues, and both times the last thing the Tech did before leaving is put the default Addresses back in.
Of course you know me, before he made it down the driveway it was back on "my" DNS servers :p
Satellite is a little different. I may go to a VPN later, but I want to watch and wait and see how this plays out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.