Not open for further replies.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
Hi All,

I'm just curious if anyone here is using chromebook regularly like me.

Personally I like using it and have converted from firefox to chrome due to convenient.

I have sold my soul to the evil Google. :cool:

Many thanks. :D

P.S. Apologize if this is the wrong group to post question. :confused:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
No, I don't have one. Currently the limited amount of programs that can run on it and the fact that everything on it is controlled/made by Google, holds me back of trying it.

Reactions: Venustus

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Not sure but you can only get Google apps with Chromebook?

Reactions: kev216

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Not sure but you can only get Google apps with Chromebook?
No, it has programs of to use it, I do not know what lol, more recentimente saw that VLC is available to the Chromebook

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I do not use because they do not have a
I would like to have one, maybe one day I buy a
, For what I see, it has a great battery life, should be good to just browsing, tinkering with Google Docs ...
I still prefer a notebook.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I don't have Chromebook, even though the intention to make it very efficient through cloud then our country does have pretty bad internet connection so half of your task will be paralyzed. ;) So I pass on that.

Reactions: frogboy and kev216

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@kev216 Between MS and Google which is the lesser evil? :cool:

@JakeXPMan But Chromebook is light, run cool, has long battery life just not able to run regular softwares. :cool:

@McLovin You can run regular chrome app in the Chromebook

@Jrs30 I understand your point, but the long battery life is hard to beat. Plus I have constant access to the internet make it useful to me.

@jamescv7 May I ask which county are you staying at?

Does that makes me the first Chromebook user here? :p

Well if you guys have any questions on Chromebook please feel free to ask me, haha. :D

Reactions: kev216 and Jrs30

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
About when does the battery last?
Using only to navigate.
It seems very interresante to take anywhere without an outlet close by!

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Nope, I don't run chromebook. Not that I don't like it. But I'm already using Linux as a chromebook-like lappy.

Reactions: bunchuu and kev216

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I do have a chromebook but not running its stock OS. Instead I am running Linux on it. Reason being I feel more at home and can get more out of the hardware using Linux than its stock OS. So I voted No.

Was it worth the price tag? Depends. Using it for casual usage only.

On a side note: Those who want the Chrome book features (so to speak, Online mode), can look at Peppermint OS for Linux (no it is not a direct comparison by any means).

Reactions: Jack

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Jrs30 Mine last around 6/7 hours with moderate surfing. Could be more if you do some tricks. Yup I agree it's a hassle to have a power brick around everytime.

@CMLew @bunchuu Hmm, Linux is cool but my past experiences with Ubuntu Remix version puts me off doing dual boot. I would like to have official support for the devices that I own as much as possible. Perhaps one day I can revisit them but for now I'm contented with my Chromebook.

@Inkurax How so can you get more from the already limited hardware? Chrome itself is quite heavy even in normal desktop browser (For my case that's) and you need to run a full OS on the hardware.
Peppermint OS looks promising too, will keep a lookout on that. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Jrs30 and safe1st

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Inkurax How so can you get more from the already limited hardware? Chrome itself is quite heavy even in normal desktop browser (For my case that's) and you need to run a full OS on the hardware.
Peppermint OS looks promising too, will keep a lookout on that. Thanks for sharing.

If by limit you mean the SSD storage, you have ExtHDD available at any time. Linux itself depending on what you install do not take much space at all.

Reactions: safe1st

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@generalwu: Philippines, known to have very low internet speed that can offer with expensive prices. So even though Chromebook can make your task easier from productivity tools however everything rely too much on cloud.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Inkurax I actually meant CPU, from what i know chrome is quite heavy on that & ram I think. So let's say if I would to install linux I would need to switch browser.

@jamescv7 I see, I understand your plight. BTW, do your ISP offer fibre optic internet already? Just curious. :p

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Inkurax I actually meant CPU, from what i know chrome is quite heavy on that & ram I think. So let's say if I would to install linux I would need to switch browser.

@jamescv7 I see, I understand your plight. BTW, do your ISP offer fibre optic internet already? Just curious. :p
Chrome and chromium on Linux is not heavy on cpu at all not even on windows. Not sure why you say it is heavy. If you also overload it with extensions it is only normal that the browser will be more busier in terms of cpu and ram than if you only had two extensions. In all fairness you only need an add blocker as extension. Everything else is just extra and not required

Reactions: milas
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.