Troubleshoot usb, s are disabled on win 7 start up

miles

Thread author
Jan 4, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Now even before the bios loads it doesn't even pick up my usb.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Went through the boot menu to disable then reanble the usb.
This morning I awoke to me computer being off, which was weird because I left it on over the night. I then staryed up it and apon getting to the windows login screen all my usb devices stopped working. So I then restarted the comp and went to do a problem detection scan and diaabled the usb. So now I can't even use the keyboard and mouse now. Please someone help.

I

illumination

If you have PS2 ports on the back of your system, you can try plugging in an older mouse and keyboard to gain control of the system, if this works, you can go into device manager and try and uninstall the USB Host Controllers under USB Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager. Upon restarting afterwards, windows should find the hardware and reinstall the drivers again..

If this is not an option for you " no PS2 ports" then shut the system down, start it again and press F8 to enter Safemode, and Advanced Options, where you will want to choose "Repair Your Computer" , choose system restore point "this is if your keyboard will work in Safemode.

If you do not have restore points, you can use the windows 7 Disk to preform a Repair..

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
apparently shattered usb bandings (north or south bridge on the motherboard) and the port does not work, buy a new motherboard or complaint.Is my opinion.

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I was going to suggest a hard reset, but looks like you Got-er-Done
A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer's memory which may restore functionality. Resetting your computer forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.
Performing a hard or forced reset might fix the following conditions:
  • Windows stops responding.
  • Computer stops before Windows loads - no boot, blinking cursor on a black display, and errors relating to OS not found or a missing drive.
  • Display suddenly goes blank and stays blank.
  • Software freezes.
  • Keyboard stops responding.
  • The computer does not return from sleep or suspend mode.
  • An external device stops responding. (Turn off the power to that device in addition to performing the steps in this document.)

To perform a hard reset on a computer with a removable battery, use the following steps:
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
  3. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
  4. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
  5. Remove the battery from the battery compartment.
  6. Press and hold down the Power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual electrical charge from the capacitors that protect the memory.
  7. Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook computer, but do not connect any of the peripheral devices.
  8. Press the Power button to turn on the computer.
  9. If a startup menu opens, use the arrow keys to select Start Windows Normally, and then press the Enter key.
  10. After reconnecting each of the peripheral devices, run Windows Update.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.