Troubleshoot Windows startup trouble - random PC booting after each pressing of the Power button

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
PC won't restart from GUI, needs multiple attempts to start after shutdown
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Ran sfc /scannow and DISM, disabled Intel Management Engine, uninstalled security softs and recovery app, deleted and merged partitions.
I need to clean install Windows 10 but I'm having trouble entering BIOS to change the boot order > USB. Is it possible to clean install W10 using MCT's setup.exe? :unsure: It looks to me like it only allows an in-place install with options to keep apps & files, files only or nothing at all. I've never clean installed Windows before but I'd prefer to as this would be the best option so I can wipe my entire disk.I'm not certain I can do this without entering BIOS, etc. TIA (y):)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Yes you can use the MCT tool.
You will need to get into the bios.
In the settings section of recovery

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes you can use the MCT tool.
You will need to get into the bios.
In the settings section of recovery
View attachment 217014

Yes, i went to advanced startup but there is no option to change firmware settings. My PC is older. I believe I can only get into BIOS from startup and the interval is short before Windows loads. I will try once again since you suggest it. I have nothing to lose except a sore head - from banging! :emoji_grimacing::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Common keys to enter the BIOS are F1, F2, F10, Delete, Esc, as well as key combinations like Ctrl + Alt + Esc or Ctrl + Alt + Delete, although those are more common on older machines.

Here's a list of common BIOS keys by brand. Depending on the age of your model, the key may be different.

• ASRock: F2 or DEL
  • ASUS: F2 for all PCs, F2 or DEL for Motherboards
  • Acer: F2 or DEL
  • Dell: F2 or F12
  • ECS: DEL
  • Gigabyte / Aorus: F2 or DEL
  • HP: F10
  • Lenovo (Consumer Laptops): F2 or Fn + F2
  • Lenovo (Desktops): F1
  • Lenovo (ThinkPads): Enter then F1.
  • MSI: DEL for motherboards and PCs
  • Microsoft Surface Tablets: Press and hold volume up button.
  • Origin PC: F2
  • Samsung: F2
  • Toshiba: F2
  • Zotac: DEL

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Got into BIOS and made a couple of changes but did not write them down :rolleyes::rolleyes: but did not see how to change boot order to allow startup on USB.

My machine is a Lenovo i530 circa 2009 + SSD instead of of original HDD.. At least I'm able to muscle my way into startup, which usually necessitates a couple of attempts or more. - and I have more confidence in getting into BIOS. I will have to investigate further, but not tonight. Time for some vegetation on the TV with my sweetie! Then sleep until I can take another crack at it.

@Robbie - I keep in mind your adage that "Sometimes you have to break it to fix it"! I don't know if that always applies to messing with BIOS.:cool::sleep::sleep::sleep:

I got into Bios and used MCT to clean install which was painless in and of itself, but I did not wipe the disk. The start/restart problem remains! Maybe a hardware issue? All suggestions welcome as to the possible nature of and/or solutions to this issue. :unsure:

Now I am off to bed for sure. :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm now wondering if I did not really clean install because I did not wipe the disk and the whole install process was rather fast. I was uncertain of the various partition selections to make, e.g. delete, wipe, etc. and chose to install on my existing main partition. Advice would be welcome.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm now wondering if I did not really clean install because I did not wipe the disk and the whole install process was rather fast. I was uncertain of the various partition selections to make, e.g. delete, wipe, etc. and chose to install on my existing main partition. Advice would be welcome.
I think you didn't do a complete clean install.
You can do that from within windows 10 with the refresh and reset option.
If Windows 10 is the only operation system in use and you have a backup of our personal data you can delete all partitions and let Windows install on the (all) free space. You don't have to create partitions yourself.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey Thanks. So I should choose "delete" and then choose "wipe", or first choose "wipe"? I don't care if I have to reinstall. I'm on a mission and I want that mystery startup issue resoved!:X3: That is, after I have my morning Assam tea! :LOL::LOL:(y)
Just delete them all till you only have free space and then tell windows to install there.
No need to create any partitions windows will do that on it's own.
When done be very careful what you install next so that you can prevent the startup issue (maybe driver or security program related?).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Gandalf_The_Grey @SeriousHoax -

OK, I have deleted all partitions. Should I choose format? :unsure: I’m on my iPad & posting is a PITA.
If you have deleted all partitions then all data are gone already. Now if you want to create partitions again then you can create as many as you want if not then now simply you may install it.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Gandalf_The_Grey @SeriousHoax -

OK, I have deleted all partitions. Should I choose format? :unsure: I’m on my iPad & posting is a PITA.
NO, you should have now one big free space and nothing else, just select the free space as place for windows to be installed.
Windows install will take care of everything.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.