Users are Forced to use Avira Launcher - Avira 2017 without Bloatware?

Should Avira Launcher be optional and not mandatory?

• Yes, users should have the ability to have a choice

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • No, I agree with Avira on this one

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other opinion (comment below)

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Updated: Prior to submitting my post I was intrigued by the fact Avira Launcher is mandatory for Avira Antivirus.

"Avira Launcher is an important component of the protection package. Therefore, starting with the latest update, Avira Antivirus Pro as well as all the other Avira products require Avira Launcher installed to ensure their functionality at full potential and to stay permanently connected to the Avira Online Essentials Dashboard."​

Find out more: Avira Answers

To use Avira Antivirus, you are NOT required to create an Avira Account, but you are forced to use Avira Launcher, and not all products under the Launcher are free to download without an Avira Account.

In my opinion, Avira should allow users without an Avira Account to remove Avira Launcher from their systems.

Original: Statement retracted following updated infomation.

Reading the comments about Avira 2017 being bundled with bloatware (Avira Launcher, Phantom VPN and Speedup demo), there is a way to download Avira Free Antivirus Free without the other software with a few extra clicks.

Go to Avira Downloads from the Support tab.
Click on More Versions for either Avira Free software.

upload_2016-10-24_15-4-4.png

Included packages will be listed under Product Installation Files and there you can click on the download for Avira Antivirus (221MB). It should start automatically.

If not, direct download here:
Code:
https://install.avira-update.com/package/antivirus/win/en-us/avira_antivirus_en-us.exe

upload_2016-10-24_14-59-55.png

Customise what components you want and whether to participate in their cloud protection (APC). Avira Launcher is not listed, but is installed upon agreement to the EULA and Privacy Policy.

upload_2016-10-24_14-34-58.png
upload_2016-10-24_14-36-16.png

Any attempts to remove Avira Launcher leads to this warning: "Uninstallation not possible".

upload_2016-10-24_15-29-13.png

Privacy policy
Legal Terms

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Updated: Prior to submitting my post I was intrigued by the fact Avira Launcher is mandatory for Avira Antivirus.

"Avira Launcher is an important component of the protection package. Therefore, starting with the latest update, Avira Antivirus Pro as well as all the other Avira products require Avira Launcher installed to ensure their functionality at full potential and to stay permanently connected to the Avira Online Essentials Dashboard."​

Find out more: Avira Answers

To use Avira Antivirus, you are NOT required to create an Avira Account, but you are forced to use Avira Launcher, and not all products under the Launcher are free to download without an Avira Account.

In my opinion, Avira should allow users without an Avira Account to remove Avira Launcher from their systems.

Original: Statement retracted following updated infomation.

Reading the comments about Avira 2017 being bundled with bloatware (Avira Launcher, Phantom VPN and Speedup demo), there is a way to download Avira Free Antivirus Free without the other software with a few extra clicks.

Go to Avira Downloads from the Support tab.
Click on More Versions for either Avira Free software.

View attachment 119690

Included packages will be listed under Product Installation Files and there you can click on the download for Avira Antivirus (221MB). It should start automatically.

If not, direct download here:
Code:
https://install.avira-update.com/package/antivirus/win/en-us/avira_antivirus_en-us.exe

View attachment 119689

Customise what components you want and whether to participate in their cloud protection (APC). Avira Launcher is not listed, but is installed upon agreement to the EULA and Privacy Policy.

View attachment 119686 View attachment 119687

Any attempts to remove Avira Launcher leads to this warning: "Uninstallation not possible".

View attachment 119691

Privacy policy
Legal Terms

The Launcher is a colossal PITA as far as I am concerned , but it's what comes with the Avira package ,
and I like the overall package .

I have been using Avira on my second favorite W7 machine for over a year now , and it hasn't significantly annoyed me ( yet ) .

.... BTW , I live in fear of my other machines finding out that I have favorites :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If Avira launcher was essential like Panda toolbar that helps in detection of malicious/phishing sites i wouldn't have
any problem.
But when it's used to promote ( force ) other Avira products then in my opinion it should be optional.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
*Other
If you think about it, look at what our expectations are, this is
their software and how "they" want their software kind of like
MS. If you don't like the way they may do things, then don't use
their software, it's that simple dried and cut. they don't owe us
anything and when we purchase a license that's like a lease .

I hate putting it like that, but that is and always will be the reality of it
when dealing with some software manufacturers, there's no way around it.
The best way to show them, is to not buy or use that software, that speaks louder
to people who think and listen with their wallet so to speak.

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I used to hate the Launcher, but they seem to fix it up a bit and it runs low-specs/fine. Its really not a big deal anymore I think. Its still really light and doesnt drag on older hardware.

IMO , its better to have an extra set of UI options and (optional Avira safety, browser add ons etc) then selling your browser data and losing more freedom in the privacy policy.

I also like the fact the Suite is different then the Free AV, I prefer the Free Antivirus. So I can choose if I want to install more Avira products I can. So, my vote is probably Other... give and take has to be considered in a free software, BUT

...I would vote different if they forced their extras and addons in the Launcher, that would be bloatware/PUP and not right to install extra softwares.

Last edited:

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
I have Avira pro version on my professional laptop and as customer feedback, I think it's better to remove the launcher as individual app, it should be the AV itself as the launcher. when you see Avira GUI, there are some tabs on the left such as firewall, web protection, mail, scan, etc. I think Avira should add the other app (VPN, system speed up) on this tabs instead of providing the launcher. it will look cleaner. the difference among free, pro , internet suite, total suite is just the 'enabled' and 'disabled' tabs, while the base is the Avira AV GUI itself.

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
I personally don't like it, and if I could I would definitely uninstall it. On the other hand how many times do I open the Avira's GUI on my 3 machines? Once or twice a week to check whether all modules are active (sometimes using Shadow Defender, when I reboot into normal mode the web and mail protection are disabled for some reasons). Not a big deal really, but it would be nice to have the option to uninstall it.

liamZ

Level 1
Oct 17, 2015
Hi, to block the installation of avira launcher you have to block the execution of this process avira_en____fm.exe in the registry:
(Or the one for your language avira_XX____.exe"

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avira_en____fm.exe" /v "Debugger" /d "NUL"

To uninstall avira launcher on Windows 32 bit:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Avira SystrayStartTrigger" /f
sc config Avira.ServiceHost start= disabled

On Windows 64 bits:

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Avira SystrayStartTrigger" /f
sc config Avira.ServiceHost start= disabled

reboot the system and uninstall avira launcher.

Since version 15.0.22 avgnt.exe icon won't show in the system tray unless you restart explorer.exe. Still the same on version 15.0.23.58.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
Hi LiamZ, I appreciate your suggestion and thank you, but I'm not going to touch the registry for something that is by and large cosmetic. I can live with it, as I said I don't check the Avira's GUI very often, and I find more problematic the recent tendency of Avira to directly quarantine suspicious files without asking the users advice as per interactive mode...

liamZ

Level 1
Oct 17, 2015
Hi Harlequin, the first registry modification is to block the execution of "avira_en____fm.exe" and is completely safe. If you know the Microsoft Sysinternals program "Process Explorer", it has an option to replace task manager, that option adds in the registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe
Debugger="%path_to%\PROCEXP.EXE"

so everytime taskmgr.exe is asked to be run, PROCEXP will be in his place.

Debugger=NUL means no program will be executed.

The other registry modification is just to stop launcher to be run at startup
and the other command stops launcher service to start.
Because you can't uninstall Launcher if it is runing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.