Users are Forced to use Avira Launcher - Avira 2017 without Bloatware?

Should Avira Launcher be optional and not mandatory?

• Yes, users should have the ability to have a choice

Votes: 51 92.7%
  • No, I agree with Avira on this one

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other opinion (comment below)

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

liamZ

Level 1
Oct 17, 2015
When I started to use Avira, the launcher was a very big problem for me cause my computer was a little bit old and the launcher was consuming all my cpu resources. So I moved to Avast. Only when I learned how to block it, I returned to Avira. And everything was fine until the quarantine problem came out (I've seen computers with more than 60000 files quarantined, most of them repeated). I tested avira pro and even when interactive mode is selected it never interacts, it just quarantines the file.
And more recently the new bug with the avgnt.exe system tray icon disappearing...

Last edited:

liamZ

Level 1
Oct 17, 2015
Why false positives? Most of them were malware.
I think when malware tries to install on a computer, and avira quarantines the file, the malware tries to create the file again, and avira quarantine the file again.....
I think this is the problem with automatic quarantine the detected files.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
6000 malwares on one machine? Whoever owns that machine needs to learn how to use a computer and browse the web safely because 6000 injections on one machine is just ridiculous. And if its the same malware constantly trying to create new files to the point you end up with SIX THOUSAND quarantined files WHILST the original malware is in quarantine then that machine needs either cleaning or wiping. If avira is allowing malware that's in quarantine to create so many new files or even attempt to then it either didn't get the whole infection in the first place or is a major security flaw in the product.

However, and I don't mean to be rude but SIX THOUSAND injections on ONE machine tells me that the user of that machine needs to learn the very basics of keeping a machine clean by practicing safe browsing and not allowing any old file to run because 6000 infections is a complete and utter joke. And, yes I realize a number of those 6000 will be the same injection just attacking different parts of the OS. But if a family member contacted me to help them clean their machine because it had 6000 infections I'd clean it and then tell them to do nothing else on any computer until they understand how to use it safely.

Harlequin

Level 1
Verified
Jul 22, 2016
Ever since Avira introduced this automatic quarantining of suspicious files according to people's experience, I have yet to have ONE SINGLE FILE to have gone through such a protocol. I'm not saying this isn't happening, but I can't believe it is happening all the time. 6000 infections only happen if you are testing malware intentionally...

Jazzeyman

Nov 17, 2016
Hi, to block the installation of avira launcher you have to block the execution of this process avira_en____fm.exe in the registry:
(Or the one for your language avira_XX____.exe"

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\avira_en____fm.exe" /v "Debugger" /d "NUL"

To uninstall avira launcher on Windows 32 bit:

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Avira SystrayStartTrigger" /f
sc config Avira.ServiceHost start= disabled

On Windows 64 bits:

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" /v "Avira SystrayStartTrigger" /f
sc config Avira.ServiceHost start= disabled

reboot the system and uninstall avira launcher.

Since version 15.0.22 avgnt.exe icon won't show in the system tray unless you restart explorer.exe. Still the same on version 15.0.23.58.

Thanks for this.

But is there no way to have the avgnt.exe icon functionality come back automatically on a reboot, without having to exit and restart Explorer every time?

What does restarting Explorer do to make the icon functionality return, that rebooting doesn't?

And couldn't you just delete the file avira_en____fm.exe rather than blocking its execution?

Last edited:
Reactions: Der.Reisende
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.