Advice Request Using always a VM (included Shadow Defender) vs protected host OS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
There's a difference between SD and VM in that your host machine fingerprint is always there with SD. With VM your host machine fingerprint is not exposed since you are operating through the VM

I'm now trying with VirtualBox. Thinking of running 2 VPNs from different providers. One on the host machine and one inside the VM

BTW, if I'll to use say Win 10 Pro 32-bit in the VM do I need an activation key (license)?

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I will use my host machine because:
- I have limited resources: HDD, 8GB of RAM
- VM or SD will significantly slow down the general performance like running 2 OS-es at the same time.
+ I can use get ~1/4 of my normal performance with VMware on HDD
+ SD is slightly faster but it uses disk caches to store and read its data => increases disk activity, bad/too slow for HDD, decreases lifespan. Last time I used it, the performance drop was unbearable even when I stored caches on RAMdrive
- of course, using these are more secure and VM bypass is rare
- using VMware 24/7 is impractical but SD is for complete novice users => I know someone who has been using SD/deepfreeze in his entire life and never get infected (after a reboot)

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
There's a difference between SD and VM in that your host machine fingerprint is always there with SD. With VM your host machine fingerprint is not exposed since you are operating through the VM

I'm now trying with VirtualBox. Thinking of running 2 VPNs from different providers. One on the host machine and one inside the VM

BTW, if I'll to use say Win 10 Pro 32-bit in the VM do I need an activation key (license)?
I prefer VM than SD infact ;) VirtualBox is good since it has also snapshot feature.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, too bad for me. Ubuntu/Windows 32-bit cannot be installed due to an error "Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V"

I just downloaded GRC's SecurAble and ran it.

GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features |

My MS SP4 tablet does NOT support hardware virtualization. I guess I'll have to use Shadow Defender then

But the below procedure might help although I have not tried it

How to Enable Intel Virtualization vt-x in Windows 10/8.1 | Microsoft Surface tablet

I remember my MS SP4 tablet started off with Win 8 and upgraded to WIn 10 Pro. That could be the reason why I'm not seeing VT-x and VT-d in the UEFI Settings as described in the above article

Last edited:

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Hello guys,
As the title says: what do you prefer to stay more secure? Using ALWAYS a VM (like VMWare or VirtualBox or Shadow Defender) or, on the contrary, rely only on the security of the host system?

For daily use I always use the host system. I'm more than sure with the configuration I've adopted. If I want to try out programs that do not need to be rebooted, use SD, while for those that require rebooting, use Acronis Try & Decide. To play with malware, I obviously use a VM.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Pure VDI operation is really only good in some corporate/enterprise environments because it significantly impacts performance. AKA Thin Clients, which are virtualized desktops work wonders for stopping all manner of intrusions/infections, but they generally feel sluggish and have limitations.

Games especially won't be running in VDI.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Pure VDI operation is really only good in some corporate/enterprise environments because it significantly impacts performance. AKA Thin Clients, which are virtualized desktops work wonders for stopping all manner of intrusions/infections, but they generally feel sluggish and have limitations.

Games especially won't be running in VDI.
Yes for games I can't play :( but atleast... good protection!

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

i have used Shadow Defender for along time and don't see that much disk activity at all. My machine is 4 years old and came with 8 gig RAM but I added 16. I use it on my host and when I test baddies, I run them in a VM with what ever I am testing antimalear at the time and the only thing that I notice banging on my HDD is the VM for some time untill it al gets loaded. I mainly use SD for testing software that requires no reboot.

Reactions: Nevi

ShariTaho

Apr 1, 2021
Well, this is why I couldn't run games on it, I thought that the problem was in bad configuration of the machine.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.