Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi,

I am considering imaging software at the moment and i have AOMEI Backupper installed. This however seems to use quite a lot of resources and takes quite a while to carry out the first full system image (approx 250 gig takes around three to four hours incl verification). I did a restore and this took around 2 hours to complete.

Would i be better with something else like Rollback RX or AX64 which seems to restore quite quickly or perhaps something as an alternative to AOMEI ?

I do not have extensive knowledge on this subject so responses would be most helpful

Thanks

Andy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Rollback RX Home is an enhanced version of Windows System Restore, it can restore Windows using a snapshot. It's quick and easy, but not a full backup solution.
RollBack Rx Home | PC Time Machine Windows System Restore Software
ToolWiz Time Freeze

Backup is more time consuming, but allows you to keep your backup separate to your primary system.
Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

Having not used Rollback RX, I do not know if it can Restore Windows onto a different HDD if your original HDD fails.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
A caution must always be observed if you try to use RollBack Rx. As much as possible, you must have another backup solution in place just in case something goes wrong. So, if ever you use RB Rx, you may want to not delete AOMEI image(s) nor uninstall AOMEI. You just have to disable its scheduling if you have enabled one. :)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Andy- Check out Macrium Free. It's been around for a while and has established a great track record of not screwing up. Also, if you want you can make a Boot Disk with it (strongly suggested!!!). Unless you have critical data on a daily or hourly basis you can get away with a weekly image via the Boot Disk, and kill any Macrium startup items. If this would work for you you will have Imaging protection with absolutely Zero system impact.

And the rate of backup/restore is directly proportional to the quality of your system and the amount of stuff on it, so no one can give any definitive answer about YOUR system. I've never used AOMEI, but have extensive experience with Acronis, Symantec, and Macrium; they all take about the same amount of time to complete their tasks- on a crappy machine it can take hours; on a good machine it would be much quicker.

But give Macrium a try...

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
I wil always retain system image on an external hard drive in case it's needed.

Would you opt for Rollback RX, Time Freeze or AX64 ?

Is file history, which i have enabled, the same thing as Rollback etc ??

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Right, heres what i have running at the moment which maybe duplication in some areas but still :

AOMEI Backupper - system image full plus 2 x incremental, then full again and so on.....
AOMEI Backupper - file back up - space management option - full then 10 x incremental/differencial, then full and so on.......
Windows 10 File History - keep one month's worth.
Goodsync - OneDrive cloud backup of photos and some user folders (this also retains a copy of the folders in the OneDrive folder) so effectively i have two copies of the photos folder on my C drive - one in OneDrive folder and one in Pictures folder

Is this all too much and perhaps something simpler would be better ??

Andy

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hello Andy

So, your primary system (C) partition weights 250GB?
To keep it simple, install Windows, Update Windows, install your programs, keep only essential programs that you need on system partition, clean up junk data, defrag your HDD. Then backup, it shouldn't be larger than 50GB except if you are using some professional programs that need a lot of space. It would be faster to handle creation and restoration of smaller backup images. Consider that bootable versions of imaging programs are working a lot faster as they are run from outside of Windows.

Backup your data (music, documents...) manually or using some sync software for easier management.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Can you further explain to a novice : "Consider that bootable versions of imaging programs are working a lot faster as they are run from outside of Windows"

Thanks

Andy

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I wil always retain system image on an external hard drive in case it's needed.

Would you opt for Rollback RX, Time Freeze or AX64 ?

AX64 is abandonware. I'd be cautious in its use. I removed it (4 lifetime licenses) from all my machines.

Time Freeze isn't a backup tool. It's more of a virtual environment. AFAIK, it only protects the OS partition. I prefer Shadow Defender over Time Freeze.

For imaging I recommend Macrium Reflect Free. I use it with daily differential sets against a full monthly backup. You can mount/explore its image files and recover individual files without the need of a full restore.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
AX64 is abandonware. I'd be cautious in its use. I removed it (4 lifetime licenses) from all my machines.

Time Freeze isn't a backup tool. It's more of a virtual environment. AFAIK, it only protects the OS partition. I prefer Shadow Defender over Time Freeze.

For imaging I recommend Macrium Reflect Free. I use it with daily differential sets against a full monthly backup. You can mount/explore its image files and recover individual files without the need of a full restore.

I have SD so will re-install that and give it a go again.

I will also install Macrium Reflect and see how i get on with it.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Andy- All of the majors like Acronis and Macrium will allow you to burn a Boot Disk that when the system is started from it will go right into the Imaging software. You can then create your image to your external drive directly.

The good thing for you would be that you will have an option to Shutdown the computer on completion. So even if it does take 4 hours on your computer, who cares? Just initiate things right before you go to bed.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
There are 3 main types of this backup process, in other words, and in this case, system imaging. You create an identical copy of your system partition with its master boot record. Here. I am talking about full backup (creation of the whole system image at once, and all over again when needed). Incremental and Differential backups are another story.
  1. Creating a system image from within the Windows
  2. Creating a system image from a program's assembled files prepared to be launched at execution of boot menu command entry (Some programs don't have this feature but most modern software like Acronis, Macrium, AOMEI, Paragon, Minitool and Easeus implemented that option)
  3. Creating a system image from a bootable media (CD/DVD or USB) previously manually created by you. Nowadays many programs have that feature and it's basically creating a mini operating system with all original files that backup & restore program needs to function. So this is a completely independent operating environment that usually runs from RAM and probably the best option in terms of security, speed, and resourcefulness. It can save your system from whatever happens to it, excluding hardware problems, of course.
I am using the third option, having a bootable version of Acronis that I use for both backups and restore from outside of Windows. But it's a paid software. Good alternatives are AOMEI and Macrium, from my experience. As @cruelsister mentioned, you don't backup system every day, but once per week, or once per month (preferably). Paranoid users can do it more often if needed, but as the process of creation takes a relatively long time (depending on hardware), just initiate the backup before you go to sleep and check the option to shutdown the computer after it finishes.

For the creation of bootable USB, most programs, as said above, have already an option built into the program that will do the job for you. You just need an empty USB. CDs are becoming obsolete. After creation, you are ready to go. So once you turn on your computer, enter boot menu by pressing certain key on your keyboard (usually F2, F8, F12, Delete, Escape, depending on your motherboard model), and initiate boot up procedure from an USB device (you may need a little setup in your BIOS, UEFI settings).

Check how I do this :
How-to Guide - BoraMurdar's Fix Tools

In this, I must say very clumsy video tutorial, which I made almost 3 years ago you can see how you can create a system image from a Hiren's Boot CD, actually miniXP environment in which Macrium Reflect PE Edition was installed. The procedure is basically the same for every other program of this kind. Macrium Reflect v6 has an option to create a rescue medium using Windows PE rescue environment, which is more compatible with modern hardware components.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Rollback RX saves the backup on your C drive. So if anything goes wrong with your C drive, you lost your system and also your backup.
It has a bunch of other points that you need to be careful about, too.
It's really more for testers and tinkerers, rather than for someone who wants a reliable backup.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm frequently creating images (mostly full images) of my internal SSD in my laptop (i7, GTX860M, 8 GB RAM) using the external boot-DVD only
from ACRONIS True IMAGE. Currently i have 110 GB on this SSD: system/software, few online games and private data like music, films, music videos etc. Creating and veryfying the image (using external HDD with USB 3.0) takes approximately 20 minutes.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
There are 3 main types of this backup process, in other words, and in this case, system imaging. You create an identical copy of your system partition with its master boot record. Here. I am talking about full backup (creation of the whole system image at once, and all over again when needed). Incremental and Differential backups are another story.
  1. Creating a system image from within the Windows
  2. Creating a system image from a program's assembled files prepared to be launched at execution of boot menu command entry (Some programs don't have this feature but most modern software like Acronis, Macrium, AOMEI, Paragon, Minitool and Easus implemented that option)
  3. Creating a system image from a bootable media (CD/DVD or USB) previously manually created by you. Nowadays many programs have that feature and it's basically creating a mini operating system with all original files that backup & restore program needs to function. So this is a completely independent operating environment that usually runs from RAM and probably the best option in terms of security, speed, and resourcefulness. It can save your system from whatever happens to it, excluding hardware problems, of course.
I am using the third option, having a bootable version of Acronis that I use for both backups and restore from outside of Windows. But it's a paid software. Good alternatives are AOMEI and Macrium, from my experience. As @cruelsister mentioned, you don't backup system every day, but once per week, or once per month (preferably). Paranoid users can do it more often if needed, but as the process of creation takes a relatively long time (depending on hardware), just initiate the backup before you go to sleep and check the option to shutdown the computer after it finishes.

For the creation of bootable USB, most programs, as said above, have already an option built into the program that will do the job for you. You just need an empty USB. CDs are becoming obsolete. After creation, you are ready to go. So once you turn on your computer, enter boot menu by pressing certain key on your keyboard (usually F2, F8, F12, Delete, Escape, depending on your motherboard model), and initiate boot up procedure from an USB device (you may need a little setup in your BIOS, UEFI settings).

Check how I do this :
How-to Guide - BoraMurdar's Fix Tools

In this, I must say very clumsy video tutorial, which I made almost 3 years ago you can see how you can create a system image from a Hiren's Boot CD, actually miniXP environment in which Macrium Reflect PE Edition was installed. The procedure is basically the same for every other program of this kind. Macrium Reflect v6 has an option to create a rescue medium using Windows PE rescue environment, which is more compatible with modern hardware components.

Wow, thanks BoraMurdar this is great help. Thanks ever so it will make thinks much easier for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.