Advice Request Using Windows 7 after support ends

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Unfortunately my fairly old Acer 6930G laptop is going to be difficult to upgrade to Windows 10. Pretty much everyone I've read about who's tried has had plenty of problems, and Acer themselves don't recommend it and exclude it from their list of W10 supported models. So it looks like i'm stuck with W7 (which I'm very happy with btw).

My question is, what are people's views about using Windows 7 for internet access after support ends in January 2020? Do you think it's just too unsafe under any circumstances, or are there security measures that can be taken that would make it fairly safe?

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I will keep using my Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't use any updates and I will not use updates in the future. I see a lot of people saying that I'm vulnerable and that hackers will use exploits to hack me. I find it funny because people don't really understand what security updates are and that updates are made after they are aware of the exploit (the same idea as the signatures for AV). If you look at exploit-db, your surf the deepweb, you can see lists and lists of exploits each day, do you think you are protected against them ?

On one of the company I work for, I have Windows XP SP2 and I feel safe (I have an Raspberry PI with an custom IDS setup).

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I will keep using my Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't use any updates and I will not use updates in the future.
Quite a few people on the Windows SevenForums also don't install Windows Updates because, like you, they believe protection they provide is limited, and because they think Windows Updates cause more trouble than they're worth.

My view is changing a bit on this. I used to think Windows Updates were almost essential. Now I'm thinking if my security setup is adequate, kept up to date, and I do regular on demand scans with the likes of Zemana, HitmanPro etc, I'm probably fairly safe. I'd be interested to hear from others about this.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
By 2020 you would probably upgrade your current laptop then. Till 2020 you can continue using Window 7 without any issues whatsoever. Even if you choose not to install security updates, I believe you can stay safe while online by using various security softwares that been discussed by various members here. You can choose the combinations you like the most. I assume you were a home/personnel user, the practical benefits of installing windows security updates is yet to be ascertained. I dont think Chinese hackers,Anonymous hackers or any other professional hackers would attempt to hack on to your Windows home PC, it is a useless effort for them and they wont waste their time in doing so ;). But windows update includes other updates like performance optimizations, bug fixes etc which is useful though.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Yes. Home user. Obviously there's no guarantee my computer will last till 2020 but I'm assuming it will (at least the hard drive is in great shape according to Hard Disk Sentinel). As you say I may want to upgrade my laptop by 2020, but for the purposes of this thread all I'm interested in are the consequences of running W7 after support ends.

Reactions: Kuttz

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1?

My views about using Windows 7 SP1 in 2020 are the same as Windows XP SP3 in 2014.

Reactions: uninfected1

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Enterprises and Businesses that still use Windows XP are not doing enough to protect their customers or personally stored data. You are the victim from a preventable hack, whilst the CEO gets a pay rise and bonus.

Luckily, home consumers have more options available (free and paid).
  • Buy New / Upgrade PC
New hardware can provide future-proofing (ie. Windows 10 requirements), better hardware-security and support for more resourceful applications. Ditch legacy applications.
  • Switch OS
Linux-variants are free to download and use, popular variants are continually developed, supported with a community for questions and answers.

Chromium OS-variants are slightly different to the standard Linux GUI, but based on Chrome OS it does feel like a suitable replacement OS, especially for basic web users.
  • Buy a Mac
A combined alternative to above + free OS upgrades without irritating Windows features. Works great with iOS.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
On year 2020, probably more users will convince to Windows 10 as long updates and improvements are consistent but not surprise for the fate of Windows 7 like Windows XP which people retain for usage no matter if vulnerabilities may compromise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.