uTorrent 3.1.2 released.Should you be scared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
uTorrent 3.1.2 was released and besides the many fixes and improvements, the company has also added lets call it , a 'aggressive advertising technique' for their uTorrent plus.

The above torrent isn't infected and my computer isn't at any risk so don't worry!You can replicate this alert at any time by selecting a torrent from the right click menu and select the'Open' or 'Open folder' option.
Scary right?But kinda makes you wanna buy uTorrent plus for $24 after seeing this rogue-ish alert right?

V

Vextor

Wow, it's acting like ZoneAlarm now. But uTorrent is the best torrenting app, so I'll simply not update.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
bbbbweb said:
Wow, it's acting like ZoneAlarm now. But uTorrent is the best torrenting app, so I'll simply not update.

You can just check the 'Don't show me this again' option and you should be fine...
This will most likely make a non-expert user seriously thinking on buying uTorrent plus.I've notice that more and more company are practicing this type of aggressive advertising behavior....which by my standards isn't fair.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
i am using vuze....so there's nothing to scared about...at least for me...;)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes such aggressive marketing is bad for a products reputation. I use opera's built in torrent app. Dont download much of torrents. But is not this dialogue box similar to the box which windows pops up.

"This file may harm your computer only run it if its from a trusted source". Something like that. But yes the utorrent warning may intimidate non geeky users.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
CycloneTutorials said:
The uTorrent scanner feature is only available in Plus right?
Yes, I think they are using the BitDefender engine for scanning the files.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Comparison between the free and the plus version of uTorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/utorrent-plus/index/frmnvh

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I still use uTorrent 2.2.1 which has the classic UI I like and that I'm used to, Hasn't got uTorrent Plus ads or these money hungry aggressive advertising techniques.

I've always stuck to this version as it's done me best. Newer builds ones are too bulky, Junk to me.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
MrXidus said:
I still use uTorrent 2.2.1 which has the classic UI I like and that I'm used to, Hasn't got uTorrent Plus ads or these money hungry aggressive advertising techniques.

I've always stuck to this version as it's done me best. Newer builds ones are too bulky, Junk to me.

Does using an old verion of uTorrent harm the system?

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
MrXidus said:

Does using an old verion of uTorrent harm the system?

Not at all.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well just use your current AV installed in a computer for scanning P2P files. Yes its likely an advertised to convince for choosing the paid version.

AFAIK they got the AV Engine on that feature through Bitdefender.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'Should you be scared?'

- NO. Because I don't use it, then I'm 100% secure about ..:D

Do the same.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I use BitComet because it is not only a torrent application, but a full download manager that can download any file type including Youtube and other online videos.

I like to have one program that can do it all.

I used uTorrent is the past when it used to be light but now is too bloated with unnecessary features.

Of coarse there are other options besides BitComet, you have FrostWire, Vuze, BitSpirit, qBittorrent, Shareaza, official BitTorrent, Transmission-Qt, etc. I believe many uTorrent users will start looking for better options if uTorrent continues the route that they are going.

qBittorrent was developed to be an alternative to uTorrent without the unnecessary bloated features and ads.

Thanks.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.