Q&A UWD curved monitor for graphic design

cryogent

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
268
Hello,
I want to make some changes and as the title says I want to get rid of the setup of 2 x 23 "monitors (1080) and buy a curved 34" ultrawide monitor (curved because anyway the setup of this 2 monitors is placed the same as a UWD), as a resolution I oscillate between 3440 x 1440 and 2560 x 1080, at the moment I don't know how much budget to allocate for it, I need opinions.
Will be used approx. 70% for remote job (Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Photoshop, Esko PrePress) and the remaining 30%, browsing / occasionally a movie / very little gaming.
If there are users here who use a curved UWD for graphic design / prepress (digital print) I would need pros / cons about how useful it is in daily use / distortion of elements or colors (I know that recommended for graphics are monitors with IPS panel , but curved UWDs IPS are extremely expensive in my area).

As an idea I was looking at these:
- Dell 34'' S3422DWG
- Del 34'' S3422DW
- LG 34'' 34WN750

CPU- I7 4790
Memory - 16 GB DDR3
GPU - Asus Nvidia Turbo GTX 1060 6 GB
Motherboard- ASUS Z97M-Plus
Storage - 1 X SSD OS-Samsung 870EVO 256GB; 1x WD 1TB
Case - HP ENVY 750 Case
Power Supply - Seasonic Focus+ 550W Gold
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nevi

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
8,131
1 When you move into the higher resolutions, everything gets pretty small, so you will probably need to increase scaling. Some older programs don't scale well, so make sure you don't have a mission-critical program like that, or you might end up disappointed.

2 With most curved monitors you need to sit right in the middle to get maximum benefit, so make sure this is comfortable and practical for you. Some monitors offer a slight curve so you have more freedom of movement.
 

cryogent

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
268
Thank you @shmu26 , i know the problem with higher resolution and scaling, regarding layout, like i said the 2 monitors that i have right now are positionated like a UWD , they are slightly rotated a few degrees and I'm positioned right in the middle of them..
 
  • Like
Reactions: shmu26