Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
In a move that's likely to shake up digital distribution of video games, Steam - the biggest platform for PC games - now allows for refunds. Previously getting a refund on a Steam purchase was next to impossible, but this is going to change. Valve, the company behind Steam outlined how this will happen.

"You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam - for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn't meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn't like it," the refunds page on its site reads.

"Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we've described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we'll take a look."

The page confirms that full refunds will be issued within a week of approval and shall be granted via the same payment method used to make the purchase. If Valve is unable to issue refund via the initial payment option, the user's Steam Wallet will be credited.

Interestingly, Valve also takes into consideration its Steam Sales. The section related to customer's abusing its refund policy on the page states:

Article

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Any reason you say......... Hmmmm I've got to go see if they'll give me a refund for my reason.
I think they are doing an "about face" is mainly because of disgruntled customers who pre-order titles based on Trailers they view on youtube,and then are dissapointed that they wont see the same quality on their own rig!?;)
For example many were dissapointed, graphics wise, with the latest "Witcher",although the game is purportedly very good in terms of gameplay and story!:)

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I think they are doing an "about face" is mainly because of disgruntled customers who pre-order titles based on Trailers they view on youtube,and then are dissapointed that they wont see the same quality on their own rig!?;)
For example many were dissapointed, graphics wise, with the latest "Witcher",although the game is purportedly very good in terms of gameplay and story!:)

That is all most people care about is graphics. It's pathetic. I'm always playing old school games. Gameplay + Story? The best. Graphics? An excuse for bad gameplay and story. "Oh we worked on getting the best graphics so you feel immersed in the game." Well I'm sorry, gameplay and story is what gives me immersion into a game. There is a reason why I played 3 months (might have been longer) straight of Morrowind, and less than a month of Skyrim.

I've only bought 2 games on Steam. Terraria and Machines at War 3. Both are great because they focused on raw gameplay mechanics.

Sorry for going a bit off topic as usual.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
That is all most people care about is graphics. It's pathetic. I'm always playing old school games. Gameplay + Story? The best. Graphics? An excuse for bad gameplay and story. "Oh we worked on getting the best graphics so you feel immersed in the game." Well I'm sorry, gameplay and story is what gives me immersion into a game. There is a reason why I played 3 months (might have been longer) straight of Morrowind, and less than a month of Skyrim.

I've only bought 2 games on Steam. Terraria and Machines at War 3. Both are great because they focused on raw gameplay mechanics.

Sorry for going a bit off topic as usual.
I agree, story over graphics!!
Who can forget this

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I agree, story over graphics!!
Who can forget this

Love Deus Ex. Never played that game though. Only Human Revolution. I will probably check that one out since I planned on it a while back. The moral of all this is, older games are better than the newer ones. Had so much fun in the old days of gaming. Now I don't care much for gaming anymore.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Love Deus Ex. Never played that game though. Only Human Revolution. I will probably check that one out since I planned on it a while back. The moral of all this is, older games are better than the newer ones. Had so much fun in the old days of gaming. Now I don't care much for gaming anymore.
Human revolution is great!:)
I'm playing it now!
The original Deus Ex is worth your time!!;);)

You could also look at Mass Effect:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/17460/

And the Batman series:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/200260/

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There are many games on Steam to play as demo so you can explore and observe its performance.

But for some games which need to purchase without demo, then surely enough specifications should be number one of priority for every gamer to play it smoothly.

Although you can test using 'Can You Run It' website to check if it meets the requirements.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Its more acceptable as mentioned regarding on gameplay cause that's the overall topic to be understand.

Last edited:

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I think it's a bad move honestly, but it's not my company. If your PC doesn't match the recommended specs that are always listed for a game, then expect a performance/graphic hit or don't play it. I would assume most gaming people would use some common sense and know that trailers are maxed out settings on a great rig. Showing your new game playing on a system from 2005 isn't the best marketing strategy to go with.

Aside from that, I already see playing a title for two weeks, finishing it, then turning it back in like some kind of rental service. "Maybe you buy a game by mistake"..BS, there's more than one button push involved in purchasing. You don't get to the checkout page by mistake. I see developers getting a bit miffed over this, and Steam 6 months down the road thinking "Why did we do this?".

*Edit* Missed the "less than two hour play" limit. Seeing as I don't use Steam..them knowing I played for a specific time is weird. I didn't know the NSA had a gaming team.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.