VB.NET sub to get rid of ESET 8 quietly (even with self-defense enabled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
VB.NET sub to get rid of ESET 8 quietly (even with self-defense enabled)

Today I was browsing the web, and accidentally found this interesting blog post here.
The author says:
"So I recently found a way to completely remove ESET Smart Security 8 by just executing a single command. In my opinion it's very unsafe to use an antivirus that can be uninstalled so easy and without warning. *Note that it does not matter if self-defense is enabled or not*.
...In order to show you how serious it is I made a simple crypter that first uninstalls ESET and then decrypts and runs the backdoor
-rat server executable is converted to a string
-this string gets encrypted with AES
-this string goes to the end of the stub file
-stub goes to the target machine and uninstalls eset
-stub reads itself and decrypts the server string
-stub recreates the server executable from the string
-stub runs the rat server now that ESET is uninstalled"

So, the first thing I thought was to share this with you, MT members ;)

H

hjlbx

Use AppGuard, NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro or VooDooShield - and the above malicious script will not work.

Easy, simple fix... but I expect most users will think: "How could ESET allow this to happen... ?"

Nowadays, in the face of a never-ending supply of malwares, an anti-executable is absolutely essential. AEs as primary protection and virtualization as by-pass\physical system protection.

You gotta hand it to Comodo as they got that basic principle - AE\LV - figured out.

It is just that CIS' anti-executable functionality and capabilities are not enabled by default.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
looking at the code itself it seems that it is a silent uninstall, so this is not a vulnerability but a valid way of uninstall, the problem here may be that the user is not aware that "this" is happening in the background...

Reactions: Nikos751

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Something like this still works? I'm amazed...
I remember using a simple AV-uninstall batch script in 2006 or 7 to accomplish this kind of task but that it is still working is incredible, shows how "secure" signature based security software really is.

D

Deleted member 178

to be very simple, AVs detect malwares by hash or by its code. by encrypting them (a technique called "obfuscation"), you hide those infos into binary code. So the malware goes unnoticed by most AVs.

surely our guys from the malware hub can explain this better than me :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well encrypted tool are always a problem for such AV to detect them since the hashes, DNA, and other informations are changed therefore it strictly depends on user intervention component such as HIPS or BB.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Yikes this is concerning. I hope ESET updates their components and this is carefully factored in and actually implemented into version 9. I still believe that ESET is an excellent and lightweight product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.