Vendors respond to Cylance's new testing methods with AV-TEST

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It is not uncommon for vendors (including Sophos) to commission third party tests. However, what is unusual is for AV-Test to conduct such “marketing influenced” assessments. We, like other vendors, rely on the independence of testers such as AV-Test to provide a neutral territory, and we are surprised to see AV-Test depart from this neutral position and run tests that are biased to highlighting one particular vendor’s technology. We are also dissatisfied that AV-Test has tested on a traditional basis of scanning malicious executables offline rather than simulating real world scenarios that would far better reflect the performance that prospective customers would actually see in today’s highly connected IT environment.

Source : Vendors respond to Cylance's new testing methods with AV-TEST

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Cylance = CIA front.

Cylance has a revolving door with talent from CIA, FBI, DISA, DOD and rumors even Mossad. Remember, the CIA 'isn't supposed' to be operating on US soil, but they are, and often by using proxies. FBI is routinely employed as CIA front operators in domestic operations but the other method they use is co-opting privacy firms with implanted shills, investments and angel funding through In-Q-Tel or whatever.

Is anyone really silly enough to run Cylance or believe ANY of their lies?

D

Deleted member 65228

Which AV use Cylance ?
I think there are a few services which rely on Cylance technology like Malware Managed: Malware Managed MSSP Cylance Endpoint Security

I do not know of any others though I am afraid. There's bound to be at-least one or two more services out there but you'll likely have to dig a bit deeper since the traditional vendors we all already know of tend to take up a majority of the market share and have been focusing on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and marketing for countless years now.

If I remember correctly, Cylance is actually government funded. I do not remember where I heard this so please take it with a grain of salt entirely. Maybe @ForgottenSeer 58943 can help us out with this one because he tends to be one-step ahead when it comes to knowing about government-funded security vendors.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I think there are a few services which rely on Cylance technology like Malware Managed: Malware Managed MSSP Cylance Endpoint Security

I do not know of any others though I am afraid. There's bound to be at-least one or two more services out there but you'll likely have to dig a bit deeper since the traditional vendors we all already know of tend to take up a majority of the market share and have been focusing on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and marketing for countless years now.

If I remember correctly, Cylance is actually government funded. I do not remember where I heard this so please take it with a grain of salt entirely. Maybe @ForgottenSeer 58943 can help us out with this one because he tends to be one-step ahead when it comes to knowing about government-funded security vendors.

Not only govt. funded, but staffed with some spooks/assets. They were funded by the CIA and have close partnerships with other letter branches.

Cylance Announces Strategic Partnership with In-Q-Tel

In-Q-Tel - Wikipedia

But really, the more you dig, the more you'll find. You'd be surprised at the tentacles of US Intelligence reaching into the industrial complex in ways you can't imagine. For example the CIA angel funded the cryptos used to secure the communications on the majority of US Smart Meters, etc. The reality is, I have little confidence anything made in the US or by a MAJOR US company is private or secure. (there are still smaller, honest companies we can trust of course)

Consider this.. If the target was really just terrorists, would they be focused so intensely on things everyday people use and enjoy? Think on that for a bit..

D

Deleted member 65228

Consider this.. If the target was really just terrorists, would they be focused so intensely on things everyday people use and enjoy? Think on that for a bit..
I doubt a criminal would be using a product like Cylance anyway so you've got a good point there in my opinion, but I know you meant it in general. And I still agree with you even if its applied generally speaking.

Thank you for clearing up the Cylance thing, I was really sure that I had heard of government links to them in the past...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ZeroDay
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Don't forget unmasking US Citizens, abuse of FISA, a long list of false flags, a long list of subversive action on US citizens, a long list of FBI scandals and abuses of power.. Blah blah blah.. They've earned our distrust.. Virtually anyone I talk to in cybersecurity that isn't in the USA absolutely hates US Intelligence, passionately so. About 50/50 people I talk to in the USA itself hate them.

Fortinet has actually implemented anti-state sponsored technologies over the last few major upgrades. The reality is, they need to protect their customers from all threats, home grown, govt. or otherwise or they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.