Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
RE: Vikings Setup

Real Time Protection:
Kaspersky is a poweful suite , I've created a quick guide awhile ago on how to increase your protection with KIS 2012... If you want to read it , you can go here.

Did you notice any problems with KIS and Zemana?Any slowdowns?

Additional browser protection:
To better secure your online accounts , you'll need to setup strong passwords so you can use a password manage like LastPass which will make your life easier.
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Kaspersky has added a site rating for the Google Search results but it doesn't have a site advisor so I really recommended installing one :

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

OR

Norton Safe Web (Free) - link
Norton Safe Web is a new reputation service from Symantec. Our servers analyze Web sites to see how they will affect you and your computer. Then, using the Norton Toolbar installed on your PC, we let you know how safe a particular Web site might be before you view it.

You can increase your online privacy by using Ghostery :

Ghostery (Free) -link
Ghostery is your window into the invisible web – tags, web bugs, pixels and beacons that are included on web pages in order to get an idea of your online behavior.
Ghostery tracks the trackers and gives you a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in your activity.
You can read here a review on Ghostery

You can install VTzilla which will simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal, very useful and will give you a clear rating if a file is infected or not.
VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

Say goodbye to all the ads by installing Adblock Plus :

Adblock Plus (Free) - link
Adblock is a content-filtering extension for Mozilla Firefox- and Mozilla Application Suite-based web browsers. Adblock allows users to prevent page elements, such as advertisements, from being downloaded and displayed.

On-demand scanners:
Tddskiller is a good tool but it's not a everyday scanner, also installing/uninstalling Spyware doctor doesn't worth all the hassle instead just use :
Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Free) - link
With the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner you have got the powerful Emsisoft Scanner including graphical user interface. Search the infected PC for Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Dialers, Keyloggers and other malign programs.
Run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner with a double click on a2emergencykit.exe. Found Malware can be moved to quarantine or finally deleted.

Recommended read ; How to avoid malware

Reactions: Logethica

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011

Hi Jack, I have read your increased protection settings link a few days ago - excellent tips!
I've only had Zemana installed for a couple weeks now with no incompatible issues/slowdowns with KIS.....yet.

I have tried wot, adblock plus and ghostery on my old xp system, but have not used them yet on my current machine. I'll install then now!
I haven't tried vtzilla before, but I have used viustotal in the past. Similar tool.

Lastpass is a logical tool to use - thanks!
I will also give Emisoft Emergency Kit a go - thanks for that one!

I have also read your How To Avoid Malware link.

Cherrs!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Vtzilla will do likely same as Virustotal uploader, yet its really useful even in Chrome its called VTChrominizer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.