VIPRE Antivirus 2012 - Services Release 2 - Release Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
GFI Software is happy to announce the general availability of Service Release 2 for VIPRE 2012. This Service Release is a free update, applicable to all users of VIPRE Antivirus 2012 and VIPRE Internet Security 2012.

We have improved the performance of VIPRE and resolved several customer-reported issues in this release. Service Release 2 contains a number of improvements to the firewall and web filter drivers, the VIPRE service, and threat engine. Because it is a service release, no new features were introduced.

Highlights of this release:

Fixed issues where the firewall or web filter drivers would hang
Fixed instances where browsing the internet, or using uTorrent, with web filtering turned on would cause a system hang
Resolve issues with Active Protection
Resolve an issue where incompatibilities with other drivers would result in Windows shutting down with STOP error
Fixed a service crash during product registration on certain machines
Now correctly reports incompatible programs on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows

How to Get Service Release 2:

VIPRE 2012 will automatically check for the update and prompt you to install. GFI Software is making available Service Release 2 to all users of VIPRE 2012 on a ‘metered’ basis. This means some customers will receive the update sooner than others. If you’d like to manually update immediately, you can find instructions here:

http://kb.gfi.com/articles/SkyNet_Article/How-to-manually-update-your-VIPRE-software?retURL=%2Fapex%2FSupportHome&popup=true

Version Information:

Service Release 2 for VIPRE 2012 is version 5.2.5162.

Source: http://supportforums.sunbeltsoftware.com/messageview.aspx?catid=23&threadid=9294&enterthread=y

P

Plexx

Thread author
I am interested to see this:
Resolve issues with Active Protection
Fixed instances where browsing the internet, or using uTorrent, with web filtering turned on would cause a system hang

Galaxy

Jul 23, 2012
Good service pack, next one will be even better.
cookie

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
I've just upgraded to Service Release 2 yesterday and it seems that they have fixed the random cpu spikes issue and it runs more smoothly alongside sandboxie now.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Biozfear said:
Scan speed remains the same?

Finished quick and deep scan on a 160GB partition just now and scan speed remains the same. But I did notice the scans were more stable in terms of cpu usage & less memory consumption.

P

Plexx

Thread author
In other words not much was improved apart from the spikes which was one of the bog issues that needed to be fixed. It is good but not enough for me to move yet. Lets see.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Biozfear said:
In other words not much was improved apart from the spikes which was one of the bog issues that needed to be fixed. It is good but not enough for me to move yet. Lets see.

I have submitted a suggestion on future release to GFI regarding scan cache but they didn't seem to be impressed at all. Waiting for the 2013 version release, they are planning to add fingerprinting feature for faster subsequent scans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.