App Review Vipre Internet Security Pro Prevention and Detection Test (safe1st)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Great results, Vipre is not bad, but for me I have had issues with it on my Windows 10 x64 system, some of it is how it interacts with my internet. If I remember right it does not play well with some of the top companion app's either.
It has been about a year since I have tinkered with it so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong concerning the companion apps.
Thanks Safe1st. PeAcE

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
VIPRE HIPS at its best. Code injections blocked and whatever was able to be installed is basically "obsolete"

As stated by @illumination once VIPRE has its signatures in database, rolls out sig updates and threats are removed from system. Until then they remain obsolete.

I have the AV solution whilst still testing in VM the IS which includes HIPS and IDS.

Guess I can safely say that its 3 users now who have tested its HIPS module, tho @illumination and I have been bombarding VIPRE nonstop for awhile now.

Thank you for taking the time to do the test as per our request.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Great results, Vipre is not bad, but for me I have had issues with it on my Windows 10 x64 system, some of it is how it interacts with my internet. If I remember right it does not play well with some of the top companion app's either.
It has been about a year since I have tinkered with it so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong concerning the companion apps.
Thanks Safe1st. PeAcE
Things has changed since 2015 version

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Very good score for Vipre! I really like the HIPS module, it really is an improvement to enable that. Maybe they could just work a bit more on their signatures, but overall a very good product :)
they do not really need to improve much on the signatures. their active protection covers that area.
refer to:
Question - VIPRE 2016
and
this particular post on @illumination configuration:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Nice video! Is this product recommended over GData or Kaspersky?
over GDATA yes in my opinion as what GDATA offers is not that close to what VIPRE offers, however over Kaspersky no.
Not to say I would recommend Kaspersky over VIPRE either, since i would not recommend any solution. Looking at the core package, they both have different protection modules (not touching the signatures quality). Kaspersky has more granular and more "time in the field", while VIPRE pre 2015 and 2016 only had mainly the HIPS and Firewall.
I do not use kaspersky only due to their increase on boot time + I am not a fan of their active control protection (by no means is not a good one, because it is).
I also do not like rating based decisions.

VIPRE 2016 however not only has HIPS but IDS and other stuff, as listed on the above links.

Also, you will see in terms of configuration, Kaspersky is like for expert while VIPRE is like for beginner, but by no means translate that one is inferior to another. :)

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
over GDATA yes in my opinion as what GDATA offers is not that close to what VIPRE offers, however over Kaspersky no.
Not to say I would recommend Kaspersky over VIPRE either, since i would not recommend any solution. Looking at the core package, they both have different protection modules (not touching the signatures quality). Kaspersky has more granular and more "time in the field", while VIPRE pre 2015 and 2016 only had mainly the HIPS and Firewall.
I do not use kaspersky only due to their increase on boot time + I am not a fan of their active control protection (by no means is not a good one, because it is).
I also do not like rating based decisions.

VIPRE 2016 however not only has HIPS but IDS and other stuff, as listed on the above links.

Also, you will see in terms of configuration, Kaspersky is like for expert while VIPRE is like for beginner, but by no means translate that one is inferior to another. :)

very well explanation @Inkurax

N

Noxx

I used to love VIPRE, and then it just got real buggy and stopped working entirely, and when I tried reinstalling it I got errors. Good results, but I still think it's got a ways to go.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I used to love VIPRE, and then it just got real buggy and stopped working entirely, and when I tried reinstalling it I got errors. Good results, but I still think it's got a ways to go.
aside from one issue with allow and notify on HIPS, I have yet to see any bugs or issues even when reinstalling. perhaps revisiting the software will be beneficial.

Reactions: Noxx and safe1st
N

Noxx

aside from one issue with allow and notify on HIPS, I have yet to see any bugs or issues even when reinstalling. perhaps revisiting the software will be beneficial.

Granted, it was years ago when I used it. I'll try it out on my laptop and see how it works.

Reactions: safe1st

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
On their website they have the comparison on their versions. So if you want hips etc then its one of the internet security versions.

Reactions: safe1st and Noxx
N

Noxx

My initial experience is positive. Installed with no issues. Incredibly light, the UI is clean and simple. Will let it run on my laptop for the remainer of the trial period and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.