VirtualBox 6.0.0 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
VirtualBox 6.0.0 (released December 18 2018)

This is a major update. The following major new features were added:

• Implemented support for exporting a virtual machine to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
  • User interface: greatly improved HiDPI and scaling support, including better detection and per-machine configuration
  • Major rework of user interface with simpler and more powerful application and virtual machine set-up
  • User interface: a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.
  • Graphics: major update of 3D graphics support for Windows guests, and VMSVGA 3D graphics device emulation on Linux and Solaris guests
  • Added support for surround speaker setups (as used by Windows 10 Build 1809)
  • Added utility vboximg-mount on Apple hosts to access the content of guest disks on the host
  • Added support for using Hyper-V as the fallback execution core on Windows host, to avoid inability to run VMs at the price of reduced performance
In addition, the following items were fixed and/or added:

• Execution core: fixed single-stepping in certain circumstances (bug #17316)
  • User interface: video and audio recording can now be separately enabled
  • Audio/Video recording fixes and improvements
  • Audio: better support for attaching and detaching remote desktop connections
  • Serial port emulation fixes
  • Serial ports: allow changing the serial port attachment while a machine is running (bug #6115)
  • Networking: Added a workaround for older guests which do not enable bus mastering for the virtio PCI device
  • Networking: fixed wrong RCODE from DNS AAAA query with --natdnshostresolver1 (bug #18171)
  • iSCSI: In cases where there is no ambiguity, the LUN of an iSCSI target is automatically determined, for targets with non-zero LUNs
  • Transparently resize disk images when merging if possible
  • VBoxManage: support for DHCP options
  • Fixed VNC/RDP (bug 18153)
  • Guest Control: various new interfaces and features (see SDK documentation)
  • Linux hosts: support Linux 4.20 (thank you Larry Finger)
  • Solaris: installer fixes
  • Shared folders: performance improvements
  • Guest Additions: improved shared folder auto-mounting
  • Windows Guest Additions: fix incorrect tablet co-ordinate handling with recent Windows 10 builds
  • Linux Additions: fix for building vboxvideo on EL 7.6 standard kernel, contributed by Robert Conde (bug #18093)
  • Linux guests: support Linux 4.20 (thank you Larry Finger)
  • Linux guests: support VMSVGA in the Linux and X11 Additions
  • MacOS Guest Additions: initial support
  • OS/2 Guest Additions: initial shared folder support
  • BIOS fixes
  • ACPI: Up to four custom ACPI tables can now be configured for a VM

Source: Changelog – Oracle VM VirtualBox
Download: Oracle VM VirtualBox

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Still not showing when you check for updates but I am manually upgrading in a bit. Seems to be a good move from them. Assuming this works greats it's excellent news as it was one of the most annoying issues.
  • User interface: a new file manager enabling user to control the guest file system and copy files between host and guest.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Thank you very much. I already downloaded the installer. Greetings.

Reactions: Jack

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just installed VB 6.0

Anyone can get macOS Mojave properly installed as a VM? I followed the procedure in the youtube below but could not get macOS started up after applying the VirtualBox Code for VB 5.x

I believe I need the VirtualBox Code for VB 6.0

Anyone knows where to get it?

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I just managed to install it and even get it to work.
On Linux, it seems you need to disable secure boot, unlike with version 5
Furthermore, if you installed 5 from the software repository, you need to PURGE it before installing this downloaded version.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Just installed VB 6.0

Anyone can get macOS Mojave properly installed as a VM? I followed the procedure in the youtube below but could not get macOS started up after applying the VirtualBox Code for VB 5.x

I believe I need the VirtualBox Code for VB 6.0

Anyone knows where to get it?

Try disabling secure boot, there is a problem with signed drivers in version 6. That might be your issue. It's worth a try.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I still can't get seamless mode to work right: linux host, win10 guest.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Try disabling secure boot, there is a problem with signed drivers in version 6. That might be your issue. It's worth a try.
I got the same problem as this guy here

Boot gets stuck. MacOS Mojave on VirtualBox on Windows 10

The solution looks like in the last comment. I'll give another try tonight when I get back from work.

FYI, I disabled Secure Boot and after rebooting it asked for my BitLocker recovery key which I don't have it. So I got a bricked tablet. It took me a couple of hours to format and reinstall my apps again.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I got the same problem as this guy here

Boot gets stuck. MacOS Mojave on VirtualBox on Windows 10

The solution looks like in the last comment. I'll give another try tonight when I get back from work.

FYI, I disabled Secure Boot and after rebooting it asked for my BitLocker recovery key which I don't have it. So I got a bricked tablet. It took me a couple of hours to format and reinstall my apps again.
Wow, sorry for the bum advice!

Reactions: JM Safe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.