VirtualBox x VMWare Player - What is the best to create virtual machines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrs30

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I want to create a virtual machine to run some tests.
I never used a virtual machine, want to know which is easier, which takes up less disk space.
I have only 13GB of space on my hard drive which of these two will take up less space after installing the system on the virtual machine?
Thank you :)
#G.Translator

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Between those 2 products, I'd choose VirtualBox

which takes up less disk space? I think both of them is same...

Reactions: Jrs30

Jrs30

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Between those 2 products, I'd choose VirtualBox

which takes up less disk space? I think both of them is same...
Thank you :D
Friend with 13 GB of disk space, I can create a virtual machine (Windows 8.1) ? :)
#G.T

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In terms of fully access to conduct VM without complexity then go to Virtualbox. But in terms of spaces that may occupy well the are likely same to others. Considering the tools and components that needed are identical.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Virtual Box is a free & good program to become familiarized with. VMware might be something you'll graduate to later.:)

RAM may also be a factor in performance. Our old(-est) system with 1 GB RAM could not support a guest system. Additionally, our newer system with 107 GB free space & 6 GB RAM is able to host multiple guest systems. Another consideration for fast performance can depend upon whether you'll be testing 64 or 32 bit systems whereas 32 bit linux guest systems have been noticeably faster for me.

Good luck, @Jrs30!:D

Jrs30

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Virtual Box is a free & good program to become familiarized with. VMware might be something you'll graduate to later.:)

RAM may also be a factor in performance. Our old(-est) system with 1 GB RAM could not support a guest system. Additionally, our newer system with 107 GB free space & 6 GB RAM is able to host multiple guest systems. Another consideration for fast performance can depend upon whether you'll be testing 64 or 32 bit systems whereas 32 bit linux guest systems have been noticeably faster for me.

Good luck, @Jrs30!:D
Thank you for the tips :)
installed VMware Player, I'm enjoying it, I'm installing Kaspersky, want to do some tests, to see if it performs better than my beloved ESET Smart Security :D
I have 6GB of RAM, dexei 2GB of RAM for the virtual machine, so far I have not lost my real performance machine :D
thank you, to you and everyone who helped me with this post :D
MT the best!
#G.Translator
Sem título.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I do prefer VMware over Virtualbox, but the big advantage that Virtualbox has over VMware is that it's free. Plus from what you've said you have as requirements, are not bad BUT it's best to have more disk space. The more you edit that virtual machine the bigger the files will get on your host.

Also you have to have good specs on your host to run a VM. You can't run a VM with 1GB of ram and your host have 512MB, it does work BUT it is very slow. Best to have more ram the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.