Virussign.com: Change extension of malware samples in bulk from .vir to .exe

Malwarebuster9999

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 5, 2016
I downloaded a malware pack from virus sign.com and the pack had files with a vir extension and I wanted to know how to change it back to .exe for testing. How do I do this in bulk?

If I am posting in the wrong section please direct me.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I downloaded a malware pack from virus sign.com and the pack had files with a vir extension and I wanted to know how to change it back to .exe for testing. How do I do this in bulk?

If I am posting in the wrong section please direct me.
I would just open a command prompt, change to the directory containing my files and then use the command:

Code:
rename *.vir *.exe

The tool @koko shared looks like it would do the trick if you don't want to get your hands dirty using the command prompt.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
But the problem is that maybe not all malware of the pack could accept .exe file extension.
Some of them might be .js, .vbs .com .scr etc.
If you rename all the samples .exe, some may not work seeing that .vir is probably a generic extension.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Using software to do 2 lines in command prompt for you is getting your hands dirtier than using the unfamiliar command prompt. Especially if it means the chance of accidentally executing malware through a bug.

I would, and have instructed others to use the command prompt method.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.