Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
VirusTotal has released version 2.0 of their VTZilla Firefox extension so that it now supports Mozilla Quantum and includes additional features. With this release of VTZilla, VirusTotal added new features such as the ability to scan downloaded files automatically, scan links or pages, or enter a hash to pull up an existing report.

According to VirusTotal, due to the changes in how Firefox extensions need to be developed, they decided to redesign VTZilla with certain goals in mind.

Automatically scanning downloaded files

When this extension is installed and you download a file, VTZilla will automatically submit downloaded files for scanning on VirusTotal. When done, it will display links to two different scan reports.

The VirusTotal URL report is a report on the URL and the File report is a scan of the actual file that was downloaded. For the most part, the File report will be most useful for users.
By using this feature you can make sure that any downloaded files are safe before you execute them.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Thx (y) starting to use Firefox as default browser on my Windows7 Desktop.

For privacy I have followed the advice on browserleaks to reduce tracking surface, installed the extensions canvasblocker (persistant per domain per browser session) and Temporary Containers (auto delete history temo containers).

For security I now have VT_Zilla. I noticed that some Ad/Malware blockers grab the download link away from VT_Zilla (so it does not check downlads). This is the reason why I am using Firefox's build-in default tracking protection with most restricted list.

I run Woolyss stable Chromiun on my desktop with uBlock0 and MrSec Exe Blocker blocking the following extenstion types (click options) {JS is omitted otherwise it also blocks all JavaScript): .ade,.adp,.bas,.bat,.chm,.cla,.class,.cmd,.com,.cpl,.crt,.dll,.drv,.exe,.gadget,.hlp,.hta,.inf,.ins,.isp,.jar,.job,.jse,.lnk,.mdb,.mde,.mru,.msc,.msh,.msh1,.msh1xml,.msh2,.msh2xml,.mshxml,.msi,.msp,.mst,.ocx,.pcd,.pcx,.pif,.pl,.pol,.prg,.ps1,.ps1xml,.psc1,.py,.py3,.pyc,.pyw,.reg,.scf,.scr,.scr,.shb,.shs,.swf,.vb,.vbe,.vbs,.vbp,.vxd,.ws,.wsc,.wsf,.wsh,.xbap,.xnk

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
thx, but on Chrome the VT extensiion is older release, it does not auto-scan the downloads
That's odd because it works flawless for me both on site links and downloads.

Also noted it's very old but the other two that I found don't seam to been updated since last year and the reviews on those aren't very good. The VTchromizer is what VT themself still officially recommend for Chrome.

Browser Extensions

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
For me also when I manually scan the links, on Firefox it automatically scans them. On my PC that (automtically scan) function is lacking in Chrome extension
I don't fully understand what you actually mean by " Automatic ". Looks to me in those screenshots on the FF extension one still have to click to make it work or do you mean something else? :unsure:

When I right click for example a download url and then click the " Check with VirusTotal " it does the work Automatic IMO as I'm redirected automatic to VT's page where I see it's scan before it shows the result.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@upnorth

On firefox you don't need to manually scan and upload the files. You are right that even on Firefox I still need to click the see URL and download for the results. So I understand your point now.

1525725777314.png

Regards Kees

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I run Woolyss stable Chromiun on my desktop with uBlock0 and MrSec Exe Blocker blocking the following extenstion types (click options) {JS is omitted otherwise it also blocks all JavaScript): .ade,.adp,.bas,.bat,.chm,.cla,.class,.cmd,.com,.cpl,.crt,.dll,.drv,.exe,.gadget,.hlp,.hta,.inf,.ins,.isp,.jar,.job,.jse,.lnk,.mdb,.mde,.mru,.msc,.msh,.msh1,.msh1xml,.msh2,.msh2xml,.mshxml,.msi,.msp,.mst,.ocx,.pcd,.pcx,.pif,.pl,.pol,.prg,.ps1,.ps1xml,.psc1,.py,.py3,.pyc,.pyw,.reg,.scf,.scr,.scr,.shb,.shs,.swf,.vb,.vbe,.vbs,.vbp,.vxd,.ws,.wsc,.wsf,.wsh,.xbap,.xnk
Tremendous extension, Thanks for sharing.(y):)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
btw:
virustotal.com is also officialy providing links to 3-party (stand-alone) tools ('sigcheck' and 'winja'):
Desktop Apps

Winja here on MT:
Winja, the successor of Phrozen VirusTotal Uploader

I'm running Winja on all my systems. The tool is very useful if you want to automatically check/upload many files to virustotal.com (e.g. wallpapapers,...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.