Advice Request VLC or GOM Player or Daum Potplayer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hi all,
I need a suggest video player software. Which is better? Open video faster, lighter, less bugs. Please give me a recommendation in your opinion and experience. I'm using VLC, but sometimes open video, it has a green line on like this
GlP6JCZ.jpg

Thanks all!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Daum PotPlayer became a hot topic here on MT as it provides a better quality of video player and alternative from built in of our OS. Bugs are fewer compare to VLC so far hence likely you need to consider.

Gom Player is another good choice but people prefer mainstream programs like VLC.

Now speaking to your possible bug, have you tried this?

Open vlc and then go to preferences > video > select in the output "X11 video output" (you can mess with this to find the one that works best for you).

Source

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Daum PotPlayer became a hot topic here on MT as it provides a better quality of video player and alternative from built in of our OS. Bugs are fewer compare to VLC so far hence likely you need to consider.

Gom Player is another good choice but people prefer mainstream programs like VLC.

Now speaking to your possible bug, have you tried this?

Source
I will try Daum PotPlayer, maybe it's a good program.

Reactions: TheSuperGeek

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I think BS.Player has the best subtitle download system (although I rarely use BS.Player, in fact I uninstalled it long ago, now using only VLC :p).

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Hi all,
I need a suggest video player software. Which is better? Open video faster, lighter, less bugs. Please give me a recommendation in your opinion and experience. I'm using VLC, but sometimes open video, it has a green line on like this [...]
Thanks all!
Could you share with us your system specs?
I have rarely seen a graphical bug in VLC. Maybe outdated hardware or drivers could be the issue...

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Yeah, true... but it sure is fast when seeking and the like. Also the frame-by-frame feature is neat when taking screenshots for creating avatars. :D

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Yeah, true... but it sure is fast when seeking and the like. Also the frame-by-frame feature is neat when taking screenshots for creating avatars. :D

I think you should take a look at PotPlayer and reconsider your opinion :) Beating PotPlayer is like trying to beat Usain Bolt's magical 9.58 sec figure.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I think you should take a look at PotPlayer and reconsider your opinion :) Beating PotPlayer is like trying to beat Usain Bolt's magical 9.58 sec figure.
I sure will give it a try... I see that many people recommend it here on MalwareTips. :D
Let's see what this nifty little tool is capable of... :p

T

TheSuperGeek

I think VLC is the better... but I have problems with windows and ubuntu that I haven't with Mageia or Arch....
But I use it every days :)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I think VLC is the better... but I have problems with windows and ubuntu that I haven't with Mageia or Arch....
But I use it every days :)
VLC sure is reliable. But you've got to test new things too to find out if they are worth it or not, too! :D
That's why I'm trying PotPlayer, as other members in this thread recommended! :p

EDIT: So far PotPlayer looks pretty neat... I found a replacement for my backup player :D - now I'll be using PotPlayer instead of BS.Player until the latter is overhauled or otherwise just improved.

Last edited:
T

TheSuperGeek

Ok. I'll try it. But I like tools and options that VLC have. I need a little technicals things in a media player...
And PotPlayer isn't on linux.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
VLC is a classic, open-source, multi-purpose media player. I sure am not replacing it as my main media player. :p
However it's nice to have some alternatives to use here and there, and many times they complement each others function(s) in different ways. :D

I hope Linux compatibility comes to PotPlayer too... including other players... and other software too... Linux needs more love in general from software vendors. :rolleyes:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Smplayer gets my recommendation. Use it on my Linux machines and windows 10.
It's really been a while since I used that.
The first product by Video2Down I ever tried was SMRecorder, I really liked it back then.
SMPlayer sure seems to have improved since then. :p

T

TheSuperGeek

I hope Linux compatibility comes to PotPlayer too... including other players... and other software too... Linux needs more love in general from software vendors. :rolleyes:
Yes more softwares to linux. It's a very good OS ! We wan't good soft to linux :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.