App Review VM or Real System new option for newly created reviews or tests

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
hi,

Now we have new options available when you create a review/test thread ; you can specify whether or not the test was made on a Virtual Machine or not.

oOCNtf0.jpg

the purpose of this option is to make things clear to the audience of the veracity of the test, we all knows that some security products may performs less well in a virtual environment, and this fact (real or not) is used by the vendors to approve or disapprove the result of the test (because it is true or just to find an excuse to their fail).

i always prefer real-system tests so they can't refute the results and then have to fix the fail, but every amateur testers don't have the funds to invest on a machine that will be infected; i can understand that.

it is why , i asked for this option, so the vendors will be aware of the environment used and will not blame the reviewer (then lower its reputation) for the review results; also it will give MalwareTips neutrality toward vendors then we will get a better response from them and keep their trust on us.

note: this option is set to be mandatory (it is referenced it the Guidelines & Rules) ; since you are using MT to promote your videos, MT is dependent of your reputation so we expect you to be precise and honest about your works.

Thank you and good tests

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Who does it on a real system anyways?

I don't have VMWare but I use Sandboxie. Some malware causes error in Sandboxie, and that's the time test it live and also when I want to know if my removal procedure works. My other rig have Shadow Defender and I've tested a few in Shadow Mode

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
anyway it is a rule means you don't have the choice, you put yes or no , that is simple. and no one hates people doing it in VM, (they hate people that does it badly ) since 90% of them are in VM; it will just make it clear to the audience and the vendors. so no whinning from the vendor and the audience will be aware.

I don't have VMWare but I use Sandboxie. Some malware causes error in Sandboxie, and that's the time test it live and also when I want to know if my removal procedure works. My other rig have Shadow Defender and I've tested a few in Shadow Mode

anything used in a virtual environment, shadow defender (even if real close of a real system) , is considered as a VM.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
anyway it is a rule means you don't have the choice, you put yes or no , that is simple. and no one hates people doing it in VM, (they hate people that does it badly ) since 90% of them are in VM; it will just make it clear to the audience and the vendors. so no whinning from the vendor and the audience will be aware.

anything used in a virtual environment, shadow defender (even if real close of a real system) , is considered as a VM.
well i feel you don't like people to test their av in vm because you say that av's should tested in a real system i remember what you said to me at the the time

Reactions: user
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.