VM setup to run and test detection of malware

kroack

Thread author
May 9, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am looking to create a (hopefully highly customizable) VM to infect with malware so I can test a few malware detection scripts etc.

My original plan was to download the ISO myself from the source website (i.e. Get Ubuntu | Download | Ubuntu) and go from there, but I was wondering if people could recommend a security specific / aimed resource that might have a Unix build (preferably Ubuntu) ISO that was fairly bare bones, but would also be malware free.

If using the source ISO that is my best option, any advice on setting up / creating the VM so to minimise the chance of malware escaping? I plan on running everything inside a sandbox (cuckoo), and I've seen a few threads on here already mentioning disabling virtualisation etc, but any extra info is always welcome.

Thanks guys,
Kroack.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.