Q&A VMware is Slow. Why?

ng4ever

Level 10
Verified
Why is a virtual machine so slow with VMware ? I am using the latest version.

Just that windows updates on Windows 10 in the virtual machine take forever.

Here are my system specs:

i5 2500k @ 4 Ghz
8 GB of DDR3 ram (only ever use 2 to 3 GB anyway with about 5 GB total with VM running)

My main pc is fast.

DJ Panda

Level 29
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Why is a virtual machine so slow with VMware ? I am using the latest version.

Just that windows updates on Windows 10 in the virtual machine take forever.

Here are my system specs:

i5 2500k @ 4 Ghz
8 GB of DDR3 ram (only ever use 2 to 3 GB anyway with about 5 GB total with VM running)

My main pc is fast.
You should probally only have the VM to have 2 gb (default) Even though you may think your not using much RAM is still good not to use all of it at once.

McLovin

Level 72
AV-Tester
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Trend Micro
Any Virtual Machine I run I always have it set on default 4 GB. With 2 processors and 2 cores for that processor. I have no problem running that. Make sure you close all other programs when VMware.

jamescv7

Level 61
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Remember that even though you assigned a sufficient amount of RAM, it will depends on the resource usage especially the cores which primary assigned to handle those heavy tasks.

Better use VM alone without any other programs running.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I agree with James. My personal recommendation would be to have a maximum of 6GB out of 8 or 66% of total ram reserved by the host. I would also set the power plan on the machine to high performance (unless you already have!)

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
VMWare has 5 processes which are the following that run all the time (listed below):

vmnat.exe
vmnetdhcp.exe
vmware-authd.exe
vmware-hostd.exe
vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe

All running on my system: - current usage negligible - 26-27mb

VMWare has 5 processes which are the following that run all the time (listed below):

vmnat.exe
vmnetdhcp.exe
vmware-authd.exe
vmware-hostd.exe
vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe

All running on my system: - current usage negligible - 26-27mb
Same number of processes for VMware Workstation Pro?

I've been using VMware Workstation Pro for years and the performance on my machine is excellent. More RAM is the key to running VMs. Having the VMs run off SSD storage helps hugely as well.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
install the VMware tools once in your guest operating system. Also, when creating a virtual machine, don't choose Dynamically allocated for disk size. use the default option. it makes it quicker. you can also allocate more ram, though i don't recommend allocating more than half of your system's ram.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Avast
virtual machines are also overall slower compared to if you actually installed it as the main OS on a computer, so you shouldn't be expecting high speeds when using a virtual machine

ng4ever

Level 10
Verified
install the VMware tools once in your guest operating system. Also, when creating a virtual machine, don't choose Dynamically allocated for disk size. use the default option. it makes it quicker. you can also allocate more ram, though i don't recommend allocating more than half of your system's ram.
Thank you.