From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

Here is the first VoodooShield 7.0 beta. The new Contextual Engine is almost 100% complete, but there will be a few blocks, so please let me know if you experience any unwanted blocks. Overall you should see a significant reduction in blocks, but I am certain that I am missing a few things, and we simply won’t know what they are until VS is ran on other systems with different software.

Once the Contextual Engine is 100%, I will update DefenderUI Pro to have the exact same engine. I am guessing a couple of weeks, once we figure out the unwanted blocks.

The GUI is under construction and there are a lot of colors and stuff I need to tweak, but it is fully functional. I just figured I would release this first version so you guys can beta test the new Contextual Engine, and figure out what we need to tweak under the hood, while I finish up the GUI.

BTW, VS’s self-protection is disabled for this version, just in case something weird happens you will be able to kill VS with the task manager. Assuming everything goes according to plan, we will enable self-protection in the next version.

I just want to mention, the new Contextual Engine is by far the biggest change ever made to VS under the hood, and soon I will explain how it works.

VS 6.75 beta
SHA-256: ca2e736e000c9ab8bed84bdf978561058fb4b05a1c56080e6d3886cf5b9025a2

VS 6.76 beta
SHA-256: eacecec901ceab9ef8eb1db36c10957c233aba24d7b5c962ff677e34b89629ab

Thank you guys!

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Can VS and DUI run alongside one another? Or should I replace DUI with VS if I had to choose one?
The only thing that will not work is running DefenderUI Pro with VS (Pro or Free). Right now I am running VS Pro and DefenderUI Free (and MD of course).

As soon as I finish updating the DefenderUI Pro Contextual Engine with the one that is further refined in VS, then the protections will be about the same, but VS will still be slightly more robust. The whole point of DefenderUI Pro is to provide a light zero-trust solution, especially for people who run MD, because MD should cover pretty much what DefenderUI Pro is missing compared to the additional VS features.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In DUI, it is possible to switch the dark mode even in the free version, but VS is fixed in dark mode and the transparency cannot be adjusted.
This is the last thing I'll ever ask of you...Please, I want you to be able to make a choice just there. please please…🙏

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
New beta announced through the mail:
Hey Guys,

I made a lot of progress tonight and I believe the engine is 100%, so now I will work on the GUI while we find out what unnecessary blocks we need to fix.

VS 6.76 beta

https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield676beta.exe

Thank you,

Dan
Will try this new version and see if the blocks are still there...

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
First block, when using Internet Explorer Mode in Edge:
View attachment 261973

Second block, when opening and Excel file from Outlook:
View attachment 261974
Yeah, I noticed that too ;). It was a last minute change that I made for 6.75 that was supposed to allow more stuff, but I had a little typo so it had the opposite effect. It is fixed in this version.

I also made tons of other progress, and I believe the engine is 100% complete, so now I will focus on the GUI. We can include a light mode once all of the changes have been made. For now the light mode only applies to the mini prompt and the user prompt.

VS 6.76 beta

Thank you guys!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah, I noticed that too ;). It was a last minute change that I made for 6.75 that was supposed to allow more stuff, but I had a little typo so it had the opposite effect. It is fixed in this version.

I also made tons of other progress, and I believe the engine is 100% complete, so now I will focus on the GUI. We can include a light mode once all of the changes have been made. For now the light mode only applies to the mini prompt and the user prompt.

VS 6.76 beta

Thank you guys!
Thanks, patiently waiting for the full light mode... :D
Those blocks are not there anymore after a clean install of this version 6.76 beta (y)
The only block I get is for Microsoft Teams and we discussed that before.
Schermafbeelding 2021-11-16 102317.jpg

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Clean installed v6.76. Out of interest would this new engine still run alongside other AVs (not just Defender)?
Yes, if I understand the developments correctly, there are now three products:
DefenderUI Free, enhances Microsoft Defender Antivirus and can be run with other system hardening tools or VoodooShield.
DefenderUI Pro, enhances Microsoft Defender Antivirus and is a combination of DefenderUI Free and VoodooShield, best to run alone.
VoodooShield, can be run with any AV.

There is also DataDefender and WhitelistCloud Free, but I don't know if @danb is developing them any further.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

VS 6.76 beta

Thank you guys!

Just installed VS 6.76 beta, default settings: Smart Mode (Aggressive). Here are just a few blocks for portable tools like O&O ShutUp10. Interesting was that 'Process Explorer' I had to allow manually, but instead latest version 'Autoruns' was allowed automatically. No problem anyway ;)
Overall, VS 6.76 beta running smooth, no slow down on execution of any software auto-whitelisted by VS Snapshot (y)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Just installed VS 6.76 beta, default settings: Smart Mode (Aggressive). Here are just a few blocks for portable tools like O&O ShutUp10. Interesting was that 'Process Explorer' I had to allow manually, but instead latest version 'Autoruns' was allowed automatically. No problem anyway ;)
Overall, VS 6.76 beta running smooth, no slow down on execution of any software auto-whitelisted by VS Snapshot (y)
Running VS 6.76 beta in AutoPilot Mode (Aggressive), I had no block for O&O ShutUp10.
But that's probably because we run different modes (Smart and AutoPilot).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Running VS 6.76 beta in AutoPilot Mode (Aggressive), I had no block for O&O ShutUp10.
But that's probably because we run different modes (Smart and AutoPilot).
Usually, I like to use AutoPilot as well, but now in VS beta period, I thought using default settings to "see" unwanted blocks as mentioned by @danb

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thanks, patiently waiting for the full light mode... :D
Those blocks are not there anymore after a clean install of this version 6.76 beta (y)
The only block I get is for Microsoft Teams and we discussed that before.
View attachment 261979
The two Teams blocks from before had to do with "microsoft.teams.addinloader.dll". This looks like a different one, and one that might be VERY useful in finishing one of the rules. Can you please send me your DeveloperLog.log? Thank you!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.