Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hey Guys,

Here is the latest, mainly just visual GUI stuff, and I still have quite a bit to do on the GUI, but I wanted to release this because it is an improvement over the 6.76 GUI ;).

VS 6.77 beta
SHA-256: 85293157e17848db255c98b0f7d07dd482fb01f68b7d45e055390683bb5168a2

Thank you guys!
Installed this version and did a reset of the whitelist.

Got two command line blocks:
1637222109522.png

Installed an update for Bandixip v7.22 (thanks @silversurfer ) through the internal updater and got a block:
1637222508693.png

And 2 Microsoft Teams update blocks:
1637222757961.png

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Installed this version and did a reset of the whitelist.

Got two command line blocks:
View attachment 262042

Installed an update for Bandixip v7.22 (thanks @silversurfer ) through the internal updater and got a block:
View attachment 262043

And 2 Microsoft Teams update blocks:
View attachment 262044
Sorry I have been away, things have been crazy.

Thank you for the info, I will take a look at these. There will be a small handful of blocks that we will either need to manually whitelist, or just leave as blocks. But if we can reduce the vast majority of blocks with the new Contextual Engine, then we are one step closer ;).

Everyone have a great weekend. I should have another version sometime over the weekend, I am getting closer to finishing up the GUI appearance tweaks, thank you guys!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Sorry I have been away, things have been crazy.

Thank you for the info, I will take a look at these. There will be a small handful of blocks that we will either need to manually whitelist, or just leave as blocks. But if we can reduce the vast majority of blocks with the new Contextual Engine, then we are one step closer ;).

Everyone have a great weekend. I should have another version sometime over the weekend, I am getting closer to finishing up the GUI appearance tweaks, thank you guys!
Last block I want to mention is if you are running Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure Safe) you get a command line block for the Browsing Protection by F-Secure extension in Edge:
1637348713197.png

I know you can't fix them all, but maybe you can get close ;)

Have a great weekend!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

Here is the latest. There is a new feature under the UI Tweaks tab in settings called "Display simple user and mini prompts". These are the prompts from DefenderUI Pro that I think a lot of people will like. If so, we might even consider making them the default prompt.

There are also a lot of gui design and color changes, but I still have a little way to go on this. I have not created a light mode for VS settings, but will do so soon.

VS 6.78 beta
SHA-256: ac05615409841054f497ab4c574a971f98d5efa2055acbfa8bceb14749c752d5

Thank you guys!

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here is the latest. There is a new feature under the UI Tweaks tab in settings called "Display simple user and mini prompts". These are the prompts from DefenderUI Pro that I think a lot of people will like.
I quite dislike (as in hate) these new prompts
If so, we might even consider making them the default prompt.
Please don't! They are too small. They don't respect disabling the countdown timer. They are annoying!

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
There is a new feature under the UI Tweaks tab in settings called "Display simple user and mini prompts". These are the prompts from DefenderUI Pro that I think a lot of people will like. If so, we might even consider making them the default prompt.

If possible, just optional to decide by users. "mini prompts" are too small even for my taste ;)

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, the countdown timer is fixed in the new simple mini prompts for the next version 6.79, which I will post sometime in the next few days. I understand they are pretty small, and we should probably make them bigger, and that a lot of people are used to the old ones. All this stuff is super easy to tweak, so maybe we should list what we like and dislike about each of the two, then maybe change the new simple mini prompt into what we come up with.

BTW, also in the next version, I figured out how to safely fix the issue that @Telos was having with the Program Files directory. I made it so that Program Files folders located on the root of any drive will be handled exactly the way C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) is currently handled. The thing is, I had to figure out a way to make it safe to include this features. For example, if I was not careful, then a malware named "A Really Bad Program File Virus.exe" would have slipped right through. But I am comfortable with the solution I came up to resolve this issue. It should be perfectly safe, and the only caveat being that the Program File folder has to be on the root of a drive, and not in another folder.

I just need to finish up some other cosmetic things and then I will release the next version, probably in 2-3 days. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay, Light Mode took a little longer to implement than I initially anticipated because I decided to implement it system wide. I am still working on the colors a little bit, but other than that we should be good to go!

VS 6.80 beta
SHA-256: d8a066d4a262cf5a486503c306fc01f617f6daaf477a5d8fde01890665db415d

Thank you guys!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Definitely just Optional. It took me a while to get used to it on DefenderUI as miniprompts too often hide behind the Taskbar, when for example clicking on an app from start menu. Regular mode does it too but at least I can see part of the prompt.
Thank you for letting me know. I have never seen this happen, but I am sure it is an easy fix. If you guys get a chance, can you please send me a screenshot of what you are talking about? Thank you!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay, Light Mode took a little longer to implement than I initially anticipated because I decided to implement it system wide. I am still working on the colors a little bit, but other than that we should be good to go!

VS 6.80 beta
SHA-256: d8a066d4a262cf5a486503c306fc01f617f6daaf477a5d8fde01890665db415d

Thank you guys!
The system wide Light Mode looks good (y)

Still some text cut off in the Dutch translation, like for example here:

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-28 205500.jpg

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Thank you for letting me know. I have never seen this happen, but I am sure it is an easy fix. If you guys get a chance, can you please send me a screenshot of what you are talking about? Thank you!
Dan I am unable to take a screenshot as the taskbar and start menu disappear when I try.
When I open start menu, click on Speccy VS prompt banner shows up under the taskbar but I can see the top bit of the alert banner. That it is not the case when I enable miniprompts. I can't see the banner. It is not a big thing once understood what happen, but as I wrote earlier it took me a while to figure out why apps would not open until I worked out to hide the taskbar and see what VS and DUI banner say.
It is an extra step to take and to remember also to click on the desktop to hide the taskbar every time a process does not work to verify if VS or DUI is blocking it.
BTW I used Speccy as an example and the latest flagged app. But it happen with all processes that get flagged.

Last edited:

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
When I try to install the latest beta on my windows 11 ran as admin , I get no no error messages or setup at all just a beep I don't know why?

at the moment for me version 6.76 beta runs fine.

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Did some troubleshooting and VS-DUI alert banner will shows over taskbar if apps or process are invoked by clicking on a taskabar icon or folders.

Windows 11> start menu> click app Icon on startmenu, (not taskbar) and the banner is hidden under the taskbar. Only by exiting start menu it will be visible. So I have to make sure to click somewhere to hide startmenu.
I guess those who do not start theirs apps or programs from start menu are not having this issue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.