Advice Request VoodooShield Free version or Comodo Free Firewall 10

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which is better: VoodooShield free version, or Comodo Free Firewall 10 at CruelSister settings?

• VoodooShield free version

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Comodo Free Firewall 10 at CruelSister settings

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Both, in combo

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Default/deny solutions are not for me

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I hate polls

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Both are free.
Let's talk pros and cons.
1 Effectiveness
2 Learning curve, user-friendly
3 Bugs
4 Compatibility issues
5 System performance issues
5 Other

1. Effectiveness-tie
2. Learning curve, user-friendly VS +1 just for the setup
3. Bugs-CF +1 (bugs are LESS dangerous at cruelsister's settings...I still feel there is some "who knows what will happen" with VS)
4. Compatibility issues-I will say tie
5. System performance issues-VS +1

VS wins the points by +1 which I attribute to being designed for one specific type of protection with low resource requirements. Still, I will say that at cruelsister's settings this is a tie protection-wise, and then the user can decide which he/she likes better. However, VS uses far less resources.

If @shmu26's Other in the list is the addition of network control and the firewall, then the CF ties the score. I can't see why any PC user should rule out the firewall who installs CF. It can be a key portion of a solid security setup.

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Umbra is right for the noob VS and the advanced CF.
The advanced users passed the noob stage.
But an advanced user is allowed to use a noobish soft cause he might bored to config CF so he goes with the easy choice of VS.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Both. Simple as that.

Don't diminish yourself by thinking you can't handle Cruel Comodo. Use VS free as primary protection, and CF (at my settings) for the Outbound Firewall protection and sandbox and to catch VS if it falls.

Come now- I'm only a girl and can handle Comodo...

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Definitely Voodosheild for me, though I'd recommend paring it with Windows Defender or another AV. I HATE Comodo Firewall because of its horrible system impact. Used it for an hour and had to force boot ten times till I could beat to the uninstaller before it booting. (Once it booted it wouldn't let me do anything else.) Voodoosheild is pretty straightforward in terms of settings. Up to you as the user to decide though..

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
It's good that you and @Evjl's Rain pointed out to me that CFW, even at CS settings, is still not easy enough for noobs. I somehow thought it was, but I see I was wrong.

While VS was originally designed for noobs, and the dev still hopes to capture that audience, in reality it is used by intermediate users and above -- who are able to appreciate what it does.
A barrier is that it's not CS' settings by default. It also seems to be buggy for some. Default-deny hasn't been shown to scale for average beings given no one that targets them really implements it by default

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I HATE Comodo Firewall because of its horrible system impact. Used it for an hour and had to force boot ten times till I could beat to the uninstaller before it booting. (Once it booted it wouldn't let me do anything else.)
Hmm that was most probably bad luck and some incompatiblity with your system,drivers or some programs. Normal Comodo firewall alone has almost 0 Impact on the system. Its lower on system usage than almost all "normal" avs. i had never issues or bugs with comodo. Im sorry for u that it turns out to be that bad. Hope u can test it in the future again and it will run better than. Never forget to make a system restor point. So if anything doesnt work out well or u have trobleshoutings with uninstall a software u can simply safe boot and do a system restor point. :)

Edit: I would go with comodo. Cant say why. Used it since version 4/5. Like a old love and i every time come back to comodo. Its just so nice for advanced users and so secure with the right config.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In fairness to VD, even though the configuration is locked in free version the importance of interactive pop-ups are helpful to create immediate decision.

Comodo and VD will not clash to each other, just tweak the Comodo in order to avoid double pop-ups.

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Definitely Voodosheild for me, though I'd recommend paring it with Windows Defender or another AV. I HATE Comodo Firewall because of its horrible system impact. Used it for an hour and had to force boot ten times till I could beat to the uninstaller before it booting. (Once it booted it wouldn't let me do anything else.) Voodoosheild is pretty straightforward in terms of settings. Up to you as the user to decide though..

Reactions: shmu26 and askmark

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Impact??? :/ Comodo Firewall is very light, you simple must do a clean instal before setting the new secure config, try and see yourself.

I had a fresh install of Windows when I did it. It spiked my resources to 100%. I already tweaked Avast for extra protection. Windows Firewall is already good enough. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
if Comodo eats your resource, then it may be something incompatible in your machine, I have tried so many suite and Comodo is one of the lightest, this is on my system now live
Untitled.jpg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I see that the score for VS went up a lot since this poll first came out, which was when North America was fast asleep, the British were waking up, and the Asians were in full swing.
Based on that, I would venture to say that Americans are more likely to prefer VoodooShield.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Impact??? :/ Comodo Firewall is very light, you simple must do a clean instal before setting the new secure config, try and see yourself.

If only it were simple. Having used CF for about 4 years from version 5 owards, despite following Chiron's clean install guide to the letter, which by the way is far too much for 95% of computer users to be willing or able to do, each successive CF install of a new version for me became more and more problematic until version 8 when I just got multiple BSOD'S and had to give up on Comodo. If a product requires so much time and effort to install, even if things go to plan without serious issues as per Chiron's guide, then, for me, it is not fit for purpose and should not even be considered as a viable option.

VoodooShield, on the other hand, has been a delight to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.