Advice Request VoodooShield Free version or Comodo Free Firewall 10

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which is better: VoodooShield free version, or Comodo Free Firewall 10 at CruelSister settings?

• VoodooShield free version

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Comodo Free Firewall 10 at CruelSister settings

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Both, in combo

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Default/deny solutions are not for me

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I hate polls

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
what if anything needs to be tweaked in VS for it run with CFW cs setup? I asked Dan and he said he was too unfamiliar with CFW to make suggestion. thanks!
People tried to figure it out on the other forum, and everyone came up with a different result.
The thing is like this: some people want VS to detect processes that are running in the Comodo sandbox. Dan thinks that is ridiculous; others think it makes perfect sense.
But how do you do it? Everyone has a different answer.
Some people say it just works.
If it doesn't, try the following:
Put VS in "always on" mode.
If it still doesn't work, go into VS advanced settings, and disable "automatically allow by parent process."
If it still doesn't work, that is a proof that Dan was right...
VoodooShield ?

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
People tried to figure it out on the other forum, and everyone came up with a different result.
The thing is like this: some people want VS to detect processes that are running in the Comodo sandbox. Dan thinks that is ridiculous; others think it makes perfect sense.
If it still doesn't work, go into VS advanced settings, and disable "automatically allow by parent process."

yeah, thanks, I did read that the other day but could not find it right now. ;)

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
I have both for try without an AV and all run smooth and fast. With eicar test file comodo react faster, but with a different app (i remove from trusted vendors and disable cloud in CF and try to install win rar) VS react faster o_O then I don't know if VS is my first or second defense line eheh

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
ya when Comodo is disabled, it's still running background and sandbox everything outside the whitelist, still the machine is protected

How do you know it`s still working ? The first thing malware`s going to do is terminate your security and if it`s easy via task manager then it should n`t
be a problem for the invader.

Just did the same to VS and it`s gone.

Regards Eck:)

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
How do you know it`s still working ? The first thing malware`s going to do is terminate your security and if it`s easy via task manager then it should n`t
be a problem for the invader.

Just did the same to VS and it`s gone.

With regard to VS, being able to kill it from task manager does not mean the invader can do the same.
To quote the author of VS...
VS inherently protects itself (with the exception of Adam's script), so adding self-protection was never a great priority. Thank you!

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
With regard to VS, being able to kill it from task manager does not mean the invader can do the same.
To quote the author of VS...
I

Very true but I still prefer a nice big "access denied" even when running as Admin.

It all makes me appreciate the much maligned floating toolbar which if it disappears suddenly then at least you know something is wrong and can act on it.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
VoodooShield ?

I agree with the posts that say that thje 2 apps are different enough so not "fair" comparison, so I removed the free av I had with cf10 and installed VS Pro and tweaked the advanced parent process setting and set it to autopilot. I like VS Ai feature and ability to scan a file and get Ai result as well as the VT feedback, and I don't really expect it to interfere with cf. So far seem not to interfere with each other, but no popups yet from either.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I

Very true but I still prefer a nice big "access denied" even when running as Admin.

It all makes me appreciate the much maligned floating toolbar which if it disappears suddenly then at least you know something is wrong and can act on it.

VS will get "proper' self-protection in the future, when the author finalises the best way to achieve a balance between security and usability. He wants to make it so the computer goes into complete lockdown if VS is attacked, meaning no new processes can start until the PC is rebooted. I personally like this idea, but not everyone is in favor. We will have to watch this space and see what happens.

Last edited:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I killed Comodo process and when I run untrusted software, it's outlined in green (sandboxed)

Good to know the auto-sandboxing would continue it`s job doing the needful under such adverse conditions:cool:

VS will get "proper' self-protection in the future, when the author finalises the best way to achieve a balance between security and usability. He wants to make it so the computer goes into complete lockdown if VS is attacked, meaning no new processes can start until the PC is rebooted. I personally like this idea,em but not everyone is in favor. We will have to watch this space and see what happens.

Yeah well that`s it I suppose getting the balance between a flexible solution and total "paranoid mode" where you have to answer a popup to even move the mouse pointer.

I totally agree @askmark that would be really awesome if Dan implemented a "doomsday" emergency lockdown feature.In fact it might make sense for every security app to have that type of feature in some shape or form.I`ll be watching this space alright.

I`ll sleep easier now knowing all this ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Anyway, you can't really compare them; not same style of products.
Exactly,
People need to read up on both products, once they understand what both offer , then they can make a sound decision.
A poll like this is not helpful in the least, this is why we should investigate and read up on software we want to add, by going
to the source and reading , and prodding the Dev's for info and tips where possible.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
CFW is way better, although I would agree you are making a little unfair comparison, as the two products don't have the same function

Reactions: Behold Eck
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.