Do you like the new design and widget?

• Yes i like it

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • No, i prefer the official

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I like the design but i would prefer lighter colors (white theme)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • i like Widget 1

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • i like Widget 2

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • i like Widget 3

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • i like Widget 4

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Total voters

MikeV

Level 18
Verified
Hello
It's been a long time.....
I recently read that the VoodooShield developer is thinking of changing (modernize) the UI and widget.
Today i present you my new design for VoodooShield.
Developers of the product are already informed.
I hope you like it
Waiting your feedback...

VoodooShield UI and Icon.png

VoodooShield WIDGET Icons.png

Weebarra

Level 15
Verified
I like it @MikeV but i didn't vote because i have never used VS so i can't compare it to a previous one but i would stick with the dark theme, i think white would be a bit in your face and i vote for widget No 2 based on the fact that it (to me) relates to the name of the software, i.e.- shield. Good luck, i hope the VS team approve (y)

D

Deleted member 65228

Huge improvement compared to the current UI.

1. The logo is creative and fits the overall theme.
2. The coloring for the theme is consistent and doesn't look awkward.
3. The tabs look better overall with the new color blend.
4. Needless to say, the text looks much neater and stands out more.

The overall result of the UI looks more professional.

I think that Dan should consider a new UI implementation for the paid customers (e.g. based off this concept for example) and keep the current UI for the free customers - that would be an extra boost to the people actually helping fund his project, and would make sense from a business perspective.

Really interesting work.

Slyguy

Level 41
Verified
Huge improvement compared to the current UI.

1. The logo is creative and fits the overall theme.
2. The coloring for the theme is consistent and doesn't look awkward.
3. The tabs look better overall with the new color blend.
4. Needless to say, the text looks much neater and stands out more.

The overall result of the UI looks more professional.

I think that Dan should consider a new UI implementation for the paid customers (e.g. based off this concept for example) and keep the current UI for the free customers - that would be an extra boost to the people actually helping fund his project, and would make sense from a business perspective.

Really interesting work.
Agreed on most points but the free idea.

I literally think his free offering should have 3-4 buttons, nothing else, and VS should be running at it's most basic security level without the ability to dial it up. Then if they want all of the goodies, it's time to pay. Take the above interface, that's all free people would be able to click or something. I'd put $$ on Dan having a nearly immediate 15-25% boost in sales by doing this.

If free versions of things are too comprehensive then the incentive to purchase is lost. For example Privacy Eraser Free offers 99% of everything the paid does. Privazer Donors Edition offers 100% of what the pay one does. They are destroying profitability by doing this IMO.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
For example Privacy Eraser Free offers 99% of everything the paid does. Privazer Donors Edition offers 100% of what the pay one does. They are destroying profitability by doing this IMO.
Actually, it is killing its competition by that. You can't compare privazer with VS as privazer has big parties' supports. For VS they should allow their product as free until their AI gets strong enough to work as a standalone av. They need enough data at this moment & they should not seclude themselves from home users at this early by introducing a paywall.
What VS at this moment can do is open a donation portal where people can donate as much as they want. If possible they can use different license key with different rate based on which country they are targeting.

btw, I voted for widget 4. I, in general, like dark mode UI , if that is material dark or matte black it would b party for me. Anyway thanks @
MikeV for providing so much efforts in these design(y). ...really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Slyguy

Level 41
Verified
Actually, it is killing its competition by that. You can't compare privazer with VS as privazer has big parties' supports. For VS they should allow their product as free until their AI gets strong enough to work as a standalone av. They need enough data at this moment & they should not seclude themselves from home users at this early by introducing a paywall.
What VS at this moment can do is open a donation portal where people can donate as much as they want. If possible they can use different license key with different rate based on which country they are targeting.

btw, I voted for widget 4. I, in general, like dark mode UI , if that is material dark or matte black it would b party for me. Anyway thanks @
MikeV for providing so much efforts in these design(y). ...really appreciate it.
I'm not advocating removal of the free version. I am advocating an extremely limited free version that would function as an adjunct to an existing AV but be limited in functionality. Still highly usable, but limited. I am thinking a simple 4 button configuration on the free one, nothing else and a strong incentive to purchase. I would also place a banner add on the free one pointing to the professional version.

Donor is a hideous idea. I've talked to many developers who 'attempt' to survive on donations, and guess what? If you want to make 20-50K a year gross sales, then that works, but once you subtract development costs and other things you are basically a $10 an hour guy. Forget it. Never rely on peoples generosity like this, it will burn you ever time.

Also there is price/perception surrounding products. VoodooShield would be wise to move into more professional realms as they progress, and price themselves accordingly, and limit the free version accordingly. Also I would advise them to potentially TOTALLY limit the free version to a '30 day trial' and dispense with the perpetual always-free version at the point they feel they've gathered enough telemetry to do this. Then any further data could be gathered from the 30 day trial.

I'd actually advise VS to offer 3 versions. Corporate->Consumer->Trial

Nothing else.. The corporate to have a centralized management portal for deployment over endpoints within an organization. Also a method to support MSP's and management of multiple client VS protected endpoints. Consumer version for just consumers, no central management but full functionality. Then a 30 day trial for the freeloaders.

It'd rename it 'VS Protect', then reskin it with the above artists work on everything, clean up the clutter, and you have a product that is ripe for a 20 million dollar buyout by an existing security firm. Walk away, retire. :p

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
I'm not advocating removal of the free version.
Great, neither am I. It's d first meeting point, just hope note the last.

I am advocating an extremely limited free version that would function as an adjunct to an existing AV but be limited in functionality. Still highly usable, but limited.
can you remeber anything which is highly usable & limited? If you limit too much, people will switch to other alternatives which in turn will hurt VS. Let VS grab reliable sector of the market, then you can introduce that kinda limited version of VS.

I would also place a banner add on the free one pointing to the professional versio
Yea, agreed. I don't know why they already haven't done it.

Donor is a hideous idea.
I ain't saying to rely solely upon donation. & No donor version, I never said to introduce a donor version. That may kill VS unless they get support from big company. What I'm saying is if there is an iota of chance of any influx they should utilize it. In this period, they should focus upon getting bigger exposure. Once they get a reliable base, they can slowly limit their features based upon demands.

Never rely on peoples generosity
that's debatable.

VoodooShield would be wise to move into more professional realms as they progress, and price themselves accordingly, and limit the free version accordingly. Also I would advise them to potentially TOTALLY limit the free version to a '30 day trial' and dispense with the perpetual always-free version at the point they feel they've gathered enough telemetry to do this. Then any further data could be gathered from the 30 day trial.
yea, that's about future. But at present they shouldn't rush it. Otherwise, it would be suicide. Problem is if they get some mindless shareholders, that can also hurt them very badly. But in the future, they should push their trial version more than d free version.

I'd actually advise VS to offer 3 versions. Corporate->Consumer->Trial
Actually, corporate version also can be segmented into three or four sub-division. Out there many form of business houses are running, from small to enterprise level. If charge is same for all of them it would be nasty.

The corporate to have a centralized management portal for deployment over endpoints within an organization. Also a method to support MSP's and management of multiple client VS protected endpoints. Consumer version for just consumers, no central management but full functionality. Then a 30 day trial for the freeloaders.
Now who would like to disagree with it? For sure,Not me.

ripe for a 20 million dollar buyout
If every dev starts to get a 20 million, then we will get a highly inflationary market where many of us wouldn't be able to buy a coffe. But as this is VS dev, I would like to see him get every bit of support from every corner. I've used many security apps but VS is one of the very few security apps which I actually liked. It's not that I'm married to it but I really wanna see it on every system. & I understand you really want the dev to get financial security, I really admire you. But, market always doesn't support the deserving & by always I meant to say all most everytime. Devs are most of the time got overshadowed.

Walk away, retire.
A dev never retires. It's the way their minds work.

Last edited:

Slyguy

Level 41
Verified
can you remeber anything which is highly usable & limited? If you limit too much, people will switch to other alternatives which in turn will hurt VS. Let VS grab reliable sector of the market, then you can introduce that kinda limited version of VS.
Good. You don't want freeloaders. So then the best solution would be a 30 day 100% functional professional trial. Done deal. There is a reason why the majority of successful firms do this. It works.

Actually, corporate version also can be segmented into three or four sub-division. Out there many form bussiness houses are running, from small to enterprise level. If charge d amount for them it would be nasty.
This is a horrible idea, it waters down offerings and confuses the marketing and delivery of a product. You charge on a per-seat basis for businesses/companies and walk away. Small businesses don't suffer because they can afford X amount for only 20 seats or something. Big businesses pay their fair share because they'll have to purchase 500, 1000, even 10,000 seats.

Symantec should fire their business development team. Most people didn't even know their best product is SEPC because the entire product line is so clouded in mystery and their marketing/sales are even more confused. Keep it simple.

A dev never retires. It's the way their minds work.
Upon sale a non-compete usually exists. Between 5-15 years depending. So the dev has no choice but to work around loopholes in the NCA or take up mountain biking or something else for a decade. When I sold my ISP, one of the earliest ISP's in the state I signed a 20 year NCA so I was effectively out of the ISP business. That's fine, I basically did anything I wanted for 20 years that wasn't ISP related, included some effective angel investing. Now that the 20 years has passed do I care about ISP? No. The market has consolidated into just a few major players and the market is dead for it. I don't regret it for a minute because either way, I wouldn't have survived 20 years in that market.

Sometimes a dev has to get when the gettin' is good.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
You charge on a per-seat basis for businesses/companies and walk away. Small businesses don't suffer because they can afford X amount for only 20 seats or something. Big businesses pay their fair share because they'll have to purchase 500, 1000, even 10,000 seats.
per-seat basis...hmmm. ok. That would b another way. What I was actually asking for is something like package system. I'm not sure which will work better. I just don't think that small business houses & big business houses will demand same thing. That's why I thought it would be better to re-work their product according to need.

Upon sale a non-compete usually exists. Between 5-15 years depending. So the dev has no choice but to work around loopholes in the NCA or take up mountain biking or something else for a decade. When I sold my ISP, one of the earliest ISP's in the state I signed a 20 year NCA so I was effectively out of the ISP business. That's fine, I basically did anything I wanted for 20 years that wasn't ISP related, included some effective angel investing. Now that the 20 years has passed do I care about ISP? No. The market has consolidated into just a few major players and the market is dead for it. I don't regret it for a minute because either way, I wouldn't have survived 20 years in that market.

Sometimes a dev has to get when the gettin' is good.
Your whole reply is job oriented & my response was work oriented. According to some of my friends they are just a bench to their company, they get very few segments to work out. It's not that they are worthless or something, it's because of d hierarchical structure of d company. They do more work when they are in home obviously through some collab in opensource. As a developer they contribute more in opensource than in their company at this moment.& this is about 2 or 3 years ago, I don't know whether they still work for d same company.

You may not care about that particular ISP but if someone criticises your works or moves what you have done while you were in that ISP business, would you respond? If yes, then why? As you said you no longer missed that ISP & It seems you are happy about d payment & investment. Still, why? If there is something getting touched when someone is scathing your work even if you are well paid for it, then its your essence. A dev never retires mean his mind never stops working regarding development. It necessarily needs not to be the same job or same project. But he/she never stops developing.

Last edited: